Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Anyone pulled their ABS Fuse out???

Old 12-05-2011, 11:09 PM   #1
offroadTRD will become famous soon enough

offroadTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone pulled their ABS Fuse out???

If you have.... then please enlighten me on how. I have used every pair of channel locks, needle nose pliers, and screwdrivers (for prying up) out there with no luck to get this little fellow out. It is the yellow 60 amp fuse under the hood that I am talking about in case you are wondering. I have quit trying after 2 attempts on removing the fuse now since I have mangled the plastic body of the fuse with my efforts before I lost my composure and hit it with a BFH and caused more damage. To let you in on my reasoning for this "customized" change, I am at ends meet with my tacoma's ABS system. It has caused me to have multiple ass puckering moments in the driver's seat in normal braking conditions and has almost left me with a mangled truck at times . One little rock under my front tire under normal pedal pressure has caused this sensitive system to kick in at the worst possible times and has left me second guessing my own ability and my trucks' ability to maintain control of my vehicle even under normal conditions. Normal braking pressure on a dirt road or a slightly slippery hunting road WITHOUT my ABS engaging.....?? Haha, forget it!!! MY ABS takes over each and every time and I am frankly disgusted with it. Sorry for the rant guys, I would just love to get this fuse out or disable the system somehow so that I can live Toyota ABS free for a change. Thanks in advance for replies.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:32 AM   #2
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
I am abs free now as well!! I do have that stupid annoying dash light though, will the fuse your pulling fix that?

anyway damn if needle nose won't get... Idk thats all i have ever used for pulling out a fuse....
Old 02-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
lpless1 is on a distinguished road
lpless1's Tacoma Gallery
The fuse is bolted in...
Old 02-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
TheMaineTacoma is a name known to allTheMaineTacoma is a name known to allTheMaineTacoma is a name known to allTheMaineTacoma is a name known to allTheMaineTacoma is a name known to allTheMaineTacoma is a name known to all
Name: Steve
TheMaineTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
yeah its bolted in from the bottom. I had this exact same problem and if you look at your fuse box under your hood, the top of it seperates off (there is little clips on the side) and I just unbolted the wire that goes to the ABS fuse and electrical tapped it. The ABS light comes on in the dash but you can actually stop on ice haha
Old 02-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
zbaldo has a spectacular aura aboutzbaldo has a spectacular aura about

Name: Ozzy
zbaldo's Tacoma Gallery
When I first bought my truck I was kind sad to find out it didn't have abs
This kinda makes me happy I don't
A light on the dash would kill me

Good luck removing it
Old 02-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #6
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
just remove the ABS2 fuse... i think it's 30 amps. no need to pull the ABS1 fuse. i pulled just the ABS2 and then removed the bulb from behind the dash so no annoying light.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:07 PM   #7
CrAiG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrAiG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrAiG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrAiG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrAiG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrAiG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrAiG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrAiG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrAiG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrAiG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrAiG is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tacoma889
CrAiG's Tacoma Gallery
X2----^^^^^
Old 02-06-2013, 09:53 PM   #8
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Makes me wonder if anyone has setup a switch to turn ABS on and off. I've seen it for 2nd gens but I haven't seen it for 1st gens even after I tried searching around. An ABS on/off switch would be cool so you can have ABS when you want it and have it off when you don't
Old 02-06-2013, 10:01 PM   #9
00yotasr5 is on a distinguished road

Name: lee
00yotasr5's Tacoma Gallery
yeah i dont have abs love driving without it in all my sport cars n truck hehe. hate abs
Old 02-06-2013, 10:42 PM   #10
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
i hear ya! the ABS system on my truck was throwing fits and would randomly kick in under even light to moderate braking. i had enough.

i have driven many, many cars without ABS and ride a motorcycle on the track... i think i know how to brake.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:45 AM   #11
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Whats ABS
Old 02-07-2013, 06:35 AM   #12
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Find the feed to the ABS fuse, and run a cutout switch to the dash. Use the same gauge wire, and size the switch to the next highest rating above fuse's rating.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #13
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
Find the feed to the ABS fuse, and run a cutout switch to the dash. Use the same gauge wire, and size the switch to the next highest rating above fuse's rating.
^^^This. shouldn't be that hard.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:53 AM   #14
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
Whats ABS
you are kidding, right ?

antilock braking system designed to allow steering ability when
tires would normally lock up under hard braking. abs allows wheels
to spin then grab again...in pulses. these pulses allow steering inputs
to actually work

sometimes ABS kicks in when you do not want it to and
it can mess up handling when offroad...because sometimes
you do want the wheels to be able to lock up. also a locked
up wheel builds up dirt/snow in front of it, and this helps braking
but doesn't do crap for steering

ABS= pretty much mandatory for street use and safety...
ABS= optional and sometimes disgusting for offroad use
ABS= unable to be switched off on early Tacos
ABS= able to be switched off on newer Tacos via switching
to specific traction modes

most offroaders design a way to turn off ABS at will
Old 02-07-2013, 07:04 AM   #15

Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
you are kidding, right ?

antilock braking system designed to allow steering ability when
tires would normally lock up under hard braking. abs allows wheels
to spin then grab again...in pulses. these pulses allow steering inputs
to actually work

sometimes ABS kicks in when you do not want it to and
it can mess up handling when offroad...because sometimes
you do want the wheels to be able to lock up. also a locked
up wheel builds up dirt/snow in front of it, and this helps braking
but doesn't do crap for steering

ABS= pretty much mandatory for street use and safety...
ABS= optional and sometimes disgusting for offroad use
ABS= unable to be switched off on early Tacos
ABS= able to be switched off on newer Tacos via switching
to specific traction modes

most offroaders design a way to turn off ABS at will
I was kidding...

Sarcasm is sometimes lost over the interwebs
My 02 didn't come with it...
Old 02-07-2013, 07:28 AM   #16
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
I was kidding...

Sarcasm is sometimes lost over the interwebs
My 02 didn't come with it...
I can't tell an 8 year old idiot from a 51 year old idiot
nor anything in-between. makes the sarcasm detector go on fritz
Old 02-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #17
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
I can't tell an 8 year old idiot from a 51 year old idiot
nor anything in-between. makes the sarcasm detector go on fritz
A sarcasm font would mitigate this.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
A sarcasm font would mitigate this.
http://sartalics.com/
Old 07-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #19
CMAHON is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
CMAHON's Tacoma Gallery
Where is the abs2 fuse on my 03? i am led to believe that if i remove this fuse i can say good by abs?