Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Toyota Tacoma Rust Recall

Old 12-09-2011, 06:56 AM   #1
bguenth17 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
bguenth17's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota Tacoma Rust Recall

Does anyone know the details of the Tacoma rust recall? I got something in the mail, and I have been putting it off, but the deadline is December 31st. I would definitely do it, but I am a little scared of how the process works. I am worried that if they decide the truck is in too bad of shape that they will buy it back from me at some crazy low price that would not allow me to buy another Tacoma. Does anyone know what happens if they deem it to un-repairable? Can I say I still want the truck? The truck is worth way more to me with a rusty frame then the few grand they would give me, or god for bid I could probably sell it in 2 hours if I listed it on craigslist for 5k.

Let me know if anyone has had experience with this recall.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:03 AM   #2
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
You will likely get around 150% of KBB value for your truck.

You simply take it in, they inspect it, and if it qualifies they will give you an appraisal of it and then cut you a big fat check.

I have yet to see somebody complain about the amount they are paid.

Fink
Old 12-09-2011, 07:05 AM   #3
ST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
ST3VE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fink View Post
You will likely get around 150% of KBB value for your truck.

You simply take it in, they inspect it, and if it qualifies they will give you an appraisal of it and then cut you a big fat check.

I have yet to see somebody complain about the amount they are paid.

Fink

^This. I have seen people get a substantial amount of cash for a truck that was not worth 1/2 of what they recieved
Old 12-09-2011, 07:09 AM   #4
Wow, that is awesome to know. If they deem it in too bad of shape will they let me drive it away? Reason I ask is I just put $700 Duratrecs on it and would change them out before I went.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:11 AM   #5
I do think I would cry if I had to get rid of this truck. I have had it since 2002.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Tacoma Rust Recall-tacoma-front.jpg  
Old 12-09-2011, 07:12 AM   #6
Dang liberals.
tacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
tacomaprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Because you're a 1997, you won't get a frame replacement. If the frame fails the test (hole rusted through frame) they will buy it back. If it passes the test (no rust/holes on frame) they will spray it with a rust preventative.

Here's a thread about my 2001 getting the frame replaced.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...placement.html
Old 12-09-2011, 07:14 AM   #7
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bguenth17 View Post
Wow, that is awesome to know. If they deem it in too bad of shape will they let me drive it away? Reason I ask is I just put $700 Duratrecs on it and would change them out before I went.
Once they determine that it is unsafe to drive, I do not believe they are allowed to let you drive it away, and they will only let you remove things that are not fastened to the truck (IIRC).

I would take a good look at your frame and see if you think it's going to be deemed unsafe. If you do, I would see if you can find an extra set of tires.

Fink