1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Owner quest for information...

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mmiller2002, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Dec 12, 2011 at 2:41 PM
    mmiller2002

mmiller2002 [OP] Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2004 Double Cab 2wd
    I just bought a 2004 Double Cab that came with no documentation. I've always liked the Tacomas, but they were out of my range until now. Of course, I have a few questions.

Were they all PreRunners?

How can I tell if it has keyless entry capability?

How can I tell if it has Traction Control?

It has no clock. Has anyone found a clock that can install into the blanking plate to the left of the center AC vents?

It has cruise control, but I believe that it's the port-installed one because it has the awkward controller pod sticking up out of the left side of the steering wheel shroud. Is that a reliable unit?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Dec 12, 2011 at 4:03 PM
    TacoMX

TacoMX TW's Official anti body-lift pundit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    Answers in Red

And welcome to TW from Central Florida :broccoli:

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Dec 13, 2011 at 5:37 AM
    mmiller2002

mmiller2002 [OP] Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2004 Double Cab 2wd
    Thanks for the responses!
    About the prerunner questions, were all Double Cabs prerunners? They all sit as high as prerunners I've seen. My tailgate has no badges or markings due to previous body work.

I asked about traction control, there are with/without traction control options. I may have to buy both types and return the ones I don't use.

I thought the same thing about the power locks/keyless entry capability, but I know there's factory keyless and port-installed keyless. I'm looking for any indicators, or something under the dash that would give me a clue.

As for the clock, I'm looking for an aftermarket unit that is small enough to mount in that blanking plateat the top of the dash just left of the two center AC vents. The stock clock is expensive, and poorly placed, and I've read about reliability problems.

Pic of cruise pod (not my pic). I think that this is the Gulf States Toyota port-installed system. I've read that Gulf States Toyotas didn't have factory cruise.
    Cruisecontrol_456c2f212e8e56aa855984ddabe44f32ebd7c261.jpg

Thanks,
    Mike

4. Dec 13, 2011 at 6:22 AM
    TIPICOTACO

TIPICOTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    nw nj
    Vehicle:
    '01 DC 4X4 TRD "RAD BARON"
    Some lift, some armor, some scratches..
    WELCOME TO TW FROM NJ!!!

5. Dec 13, 2011 at 10:36 AM
    mmiller2002

mmiller2002 [OP] Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2004 Double Cab 2wd

"I asked about traction control, there are with/without traction control options. I may have to buy both types and return the ones I don't use.
    buy both?? I'm confused here"

Oops, sorry. Front brake pads has the with/without option when I searched AutoZone.

"About the prerunner questions, were all Double Cabs prerunners? They all sit as high as prerunners I've seen. My tailgate has no badges or markings due to previous body work.
    No. as stated Prerunners are 2wd, 6 lug w/ 4wd suspension. DC's also come in 4wd, 4wd TRD (rear locker) and Prerunner TRD"

Ok, yeah. I guess I've never seen a 4WD Double Cab!

Thanks again.

6. Dec 13, 2011 at 10:40 AM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:

You probably haven't noticed it yet, but there is a factory clock behind the steering wheel on the dash. Look behind your right hand if it's on the steering wheel. Pretty horrible spot, but there is one there.

7. Dec 13, 2011 at 10:48 AM
    mmiller2002

mmiller2002 [OP] Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2004 Double Cab 2wd

Not there. Blank, clean panel beside the key, no cutout or anything.

8. Dec 13, 2011 at 10:51 AM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. Dec 13, 2011 at 10:52 AM
    JaSkynyrd

JaSkynyrd Ron F. Swanson

Member:
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    2001 XtraCab 4x4 V6 SR5
    I will answer the question as I believe you want it answered:

Yes, all double cab Tacomas have the Prerunner "lifted" look. There are no "low riding" double cabs.

Now, While all double cabs are "lifted" they are not all Prerunners. Prerunners are 2WD, and you can get a 4WD double cab. I won't get into any other packaging differences other than those basics.

As for the "low rider" Tacomas, they aren't really low riders, they just don't have the suspension height and tire size of the "Prerunner look" Tacomas.

Those Tacomas are generally referred to as 5 lug trucks due to the number of lugs attaching wheel to axle. The Prerunner Tacomas are referred to as 6 lugs trucks because they have 6 lugs attaching wheel to axle.

Howsaboutthat?

10. Dec 13, 2011 at 10:56 AM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    i have a factory clock for sale. it works great. one of the capacitor on the boards is what caused problems just add a little bit of solder and good to go id sell it for 20 plus shipping

nevermind clock no work haha i checked it out sorry about that

11. Dec 13, 2011 at 12:54 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    that cruise is after market

hahahaha, i see how op might be confused thinking he does not have a clock, where in reality it is just in a less than ideal spot. op, might to check to see if you have a clock and it is not just hidden behind the wheel:D:D

yes, all dub cabs were EITHER 2wd PRERUNNER or 4wd

12. Dec 13, 2011 at 7:09 PM
    mmiller2002

mmiller2002 [OP] Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2004 Double Cab 2wd
    There is no confusion or a clock. There is a clean, blank spot to the right of the ignition switch...

That cruise control was on many Tacomas I have looked at over the years here in TX. From my research I am nearly positive that its a Rostra brand that the Gulf States Toyota distributor port-installed.

13. Dec 13, 2011 at 7:48 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    haha thats just a joke. everyone absolutely hates the position of the clock, its so bad you might not even think its there cuz you cant see it

14. Dec 13, 2011 at 8:10 PM
    mmiller2002

mmiller2002 [OP] Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2004 Double Cab 2wd
    Yeah, Toyota has some quirky dumb stuff.

Products Discussed in

To Top