Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Passenger door lock is sticky - inside and out

Old 12-13-2011, 04:52 PM   #1
beedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shed

beedoola's Tacoma Gallery
Passenger door lock is sticky - inside and out

I have a manual door/lock 01' prerunner. The passenger lock is really difficult to open from the inside as well as from the outside - when I put the key in the lock and try to turn said key to unlock the door, it takes a while and feels like the key is stuck. Any suggestions? Lock lube/spray? If I sprayed some in the key hole would that translate to lubricating the inside lock/tab as well? I want to avoid having to take the inside door panel off.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:24 AM   #2
Lean Mean MPG Machine (best = 27)
pidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud of

Name: Stefan
pidro_el_pirata's Tacoma Gallery
Okay, you say manual locks. So, what you mean by "inside as well as outside" is that it's difficult to turn the key outside the door as well as difficult to pull the knob up on the inside of the door? These are different parts of the assembly, and both end up pulling on separate rods that ultimately connect to the locking mechanism inside. Whatever is sticking is affecting both of these, so it must be the main lock assembly that you're having trouble with. So in short, NO, don't spray anything in there, it won't help and will probably gum things up!

I have a 2000 SR5 and I just took apart both doors to do stuff. I doubt your model is very different than mine. It took me five minutes, no more, to pull apart the door. Use the search function, there are plenty of how-to threads around here.

Also you can find the parts diagram to see what you're up against somewhere in here: http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/
Old 12-14-2011, 01:22 AM   #3
mackattack07 is just really nicemackattack07 is just really nicemackattack07 is just really nicemackattack07 is just really nicemackattack07 is just really nice

Marines: Sgt UH/AH1 Mech HMLA-167
Name: william
mackattack07's Tacoma Gallery
Lubeing the main lock cyl use white lithium grease my old 85 had that problem and white lithium grease worked
Old 12-14-2011, 07:21 AM   #4
Focaljet.com <-- My CURRENT home
iDrew will become famous soon enough

Name: Andrew
iDrew's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to iDrew
Same thing happened to me when I replaced my Driver side outer handle. All you have to do is take your door panel off and peel back the plastic dirt blocker, reach around the sheet metal where the outer handle is and pop the rubber grommet out and spray WD-40 liberally all over the locking mechanism. Check the latch and key holes while you do this. Keep pulling the latch up and pushing it back down so all the lubricant can get inside of the lock itself. It sounds like a PITA but it really isn't.

Alternatively, you could hit the inside door panel if you can't open the door from the inside.

I found that worked well, but I didn't want to keep doing it in the long run.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:30 AM   #5
beedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shed

beedoola's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, thanks guys!