Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Squeaky Clutch/Warning: Bad welds

Old 12-13-2011, 07:03 PM   #1
Self Proclaimed first gen expert :doh:
Greensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Greensystemsgo's Tacoma Gallery
Squeaky Clutch/Warning: Bad welds

hey all, so weve all see the results of a squeaky clutch on a first gen, that little green bushing going bad. well i wanted to do some off roading today, but was fed up with my clutch, so pulled it after getting that green bushing new from toyota. pull the clutch and bam a kick in the face problem. ive yet to see it on here, so hopefully it;ll help anyone else out.

what i was presented with

cleaned up

My solution (please ignore my super ugly welds, if they hold ill be happy
Between the plate and the original bracket is a washer that happened to be perfect size as the metal and the bracket were not flush because of the double layer bracket.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:14 PM   #2
Greensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

spent the last hour trying to get the spring in. it is one strong sob.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #3
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
interesting welds...you know your supposed to use a welder, not a soldering iron, right???

i keed, i keed...

Never seen anyone have this issue before
Old 12-13-2011, 08:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
interesting welds...you know your supposed to use a welder, not a soldering iron, right???

i keed, i keed...

hahahah i could probably do better solder joints then weld! i fix comptuers....

yeah i havent found thsi problem, but imagine toyota would have to special order this bracket, my recommendation is to check if you have high mileage. i have 185now so yeah.

spring is still kicking my ass
Old 12-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
interesting. il have to take a look at mine. thanks for the info!
Old 12-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #6
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensystemsgo View Post
hahahah i could probably do better solder joints then weld! i fix comptuers....

yeah i havent found thsi problem, but imagine toyota would have to special order this bracket, my recommendation is to check if you have high mileage. i have 185now so yeah.

spring is still kicking my ass
lmao..

hope you get that spring back in
Old 12-13-2011, 08:44 PM   #7

SUCCESS!

its all about zipties pulling the spring towards the one side after you do one side and the middle, then finding the right angle to get the last side in. pics to come. i wanna get this thing done. atleast its still raining so maaaaybe mud tomorrow
Old 12-13-2011, 09:16 PM   #8
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
shampoop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post

i keed, i keed...

Haha, for real. Most of the time when people warn you about their weld quality they're still being somewhat modest, this guy wasn't kidding though!
Old 12-13-2011, 09:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shampoop View Post
Haha, for real. Most of the time when people warn you about their weld quality they're still being somewhat modest, this guy wasn't kidding though!
this is my first time ever welding
Old 12-15-2011, 11:25 PM   #10
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
shampoop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensystemsgo View Post
this is my first time ever welding
Next time, practice on some scrap first. Not trying to be a dick, but those really are terrible quality, there is almost no penetration. Most welders have general settings charts to go by for what thickness you are welding. By just using the recommended settings, and knowing what a good weld looks like and trying to make yours look like them, you're going to end up doing a whole lot better than that.

Try to make it look like this
Old 12-16-2011, 08:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shampoop View Post
Next time, practice on some scrap first. Not trying to be a dick, but those really are terrible quality, there is almost no penetration. Most welders have general settings charts to go by for what thickness you are welding. By just using the recommended settings, and knowing what a good weld looks like and trying to make yours look like them, you're going to end up doing a whole lot better than that.

Try to make it look like this
my second side was better, doing little c's. i meant to say that those were my first welds on anyting important. the wire feed welder though is a super pita, splatter/berries everywhere.