Notices

Stock bumper and hitch shackle.

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-13-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
Yo Chill Son is on a distinguished road
Name: Mason
Yo Chill Son's Tacoma Gallery
Stock bumper and hitch shackle.

Is there a shackle that I can use that will fit in the stock bumper on an 04? I need something to use to pull out people in the winter this year. Last year I just used a hook on the front end.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
I just ordered one of these the other day: http://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-293.../dp/B001CF1A7O

And a locking pin for it because some jackass will try to steal it.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:54 PM   #3
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2014 View Post
I just ordered one of these the other day: http://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-293.../dp/B001CF1A7O

This^^

My buddy had two stolen before he got smart and got a lock pin.

And be aware of the cheap shackle that comes with most of the receiver brackets and buy a nice domestic one. Use the the cheap one as a spare. I have seen cheap chinese shackles bend on the trail.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:04 PM   #4
Lovin Tacos
tacomacrazy is a splendid one to beholdtacomacrazy is a splendid one to beholdtacomacrazy is a splendid one to beholdtacomacrazy is a splendid one to beholdtacomacrazy is a splendid one to beholdtacomacrazy is a splendid one to beholdtacomacrazy is a splendid one to beholdtacomacrazy is a splendid one to behold

Name: Bryant
tacomacrazy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2014 View Post

have you receieved it?

hows the quality on the shackle?
Old 12-13-2011, 09:06 PM   #5
You're my boy blue
Blue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Dylan
Blue's Tacoma Gallery
Elite makes a beefy one
Old 12-13-2011, 09:10 PM   #6
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Warn makes one too, but I think theyre spendy, but wary beefy. Thats what I have, it was a gift from my dad for Christmas a few years ago.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:13 PM   #7
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomacrazy View Post
have you receieved it?

hows the quality on the shackle?
No, it comes tomorrow. From what I read the smittybuilt shackles are off-road rescue quality compared to the no name brands that have no strength ratings.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:14 PM   #8
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
Warn makes one too, but I think theyre spendy, but wary beefy. Thats what I have, it was a gift from my dad for Christmas a few years ago.
I just ordered a "RP" unit from wheelers. It was a little more than half the price of the Warn. I didn't get the warn because i figured it was just the name. The RP is hollow cast, and the Warn is solid....but then I thought about all the ball mounts that I have that are hollow and how much snatching they have held up to.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:24 PM   #9
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
I just ordered a "RP" unit from wheelers. It was a little more than half the price of the Warn. I didn't get the warn because i figured it was just the name. The RP is hollow cast, and the Warn is solid....but then I thought about all the ball mounts that I have that are hollow and how much snatching they have held up to.
Yeah, I about shit when I saw what my dad paid. Ipulled out a very stuck cummins back when I had my cummins and didn't have to worry about it at all. Light duty hitches are hollow, but I think class IV and up are solid.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:50 AM   #10
Lovin Tacos
tacomacrazy is a splendid one to beholdtacomacrazy is a splendid one to beholdtacomacrazy is a splendid one to beholdtacomacrazy is a splendid one to beholdtacomacrazy is a splendid one to beholdtacomacrazy is a splendid one to beholdtacomacrazy is a splendid one to beholdtacomacrazy is a splendid one to behold

Name: Bryant
tacomacrazy's Tacoma Gallery
must be nice having that green=]]
Old 12-14-2011, 12:58 AM   #11
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
I've never seen a shackle break before. Usually its the strap that breaks that will send hooks flying in the air like a bullet.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:05 AM   #12
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Do you mean stock hitch? Stock bumpers have a ball and can't accept a slide in shackle mount right ? Am I missing something? What your 04 really needs is one of these... They're discounted 10% until Dec 31 and the best rear bumper deal around imo.
Attached Thumbnails
Stock bumper and hitch shackle.-12-11-2011-017.jpg   Stock bumper and hitch shackle.-004.jpg   Stock bumper and hitch shackle.-img_0134.jpg  
Old 12-14-2011, 03:05 AM   #13
bobg03 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Retired Chauffer
bobg03's Tacoma Gallery
Personally I'd be a bit leary pulling off the bumper, I'd be worried about pulling it off the truck or twisting it.

Either a frame mounted hook or receiver would be a better way. FTR all receiver style hitches are hollow tubed, does not matter what class they are.

And the last thing I'd be doing is going around looking for people to pull out......I have a 4X4 for my ease of traversing....let them get their own..
Old 12-14-2011, 03:48 AM   #14
2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: chris
2008taco's Tacoma Gallery
I have the smittybilt linked earlier and I can assure you the quality is top notch. The receiver portion is made out of solid steel, not welded square tubing. The d shackle is comparable to warn. I got mine from 4wheelparts because they had it on sale for 20 bucks. It is still on sale if you're interested. http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-a...pn=S%2fB29312B
Old 12-14-2011, 06:16 AM   #15
RAT Products

isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
I also paid $19.99. It's a deal.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #16
Yo Chill Son is on a distinguished road
Name: Mason
Yo Chill Son's Tacoma Gallery
This is what I'm talking about. I don't have a hitch.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:22 PM   #17

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Chill Son View Post
This is what I'm talking about. I don't have a hitch.

yeah, your not doing any recovery without a receiver hitch....unless you want to twist your bumper or rip it off
Old 12-14-2011, 12:28 PM   #18
White Tank
SkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
SkyHighTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
yeah, your not doing any recovery without a receiver hitch....unless you want to twist your bumper or rip it off
X2. Do not recover stuck people with a stock bumper. It isnt made to hold up to that kind of work. Buy a trailer hitch or a good aftermarket bumper with a built in hitch.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:27 PM   #19
jbrandt will become famous soon enough
jbrandt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHighTacoma View Post
X2. Do not recover stuck people with a stock bumper. It isnt made to hold up to that kind of work. Buy a trailer hitch or a good aftermarket bumper with a built in hitch.
ding ding ding.

we have a winner.

DON'T pull people out with a stock bumper. Ever see guys rollin' with bumpers all bent to hell? Yeah, it's from that.

Get a class III or IV hitch receiver, and THEN pull people out.

I've got a hidden hitch, and mine cost about $130 I think.

Something like this
http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...r_hitches.html

Products Discussed in this Thread