1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

brake pads and rotors

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by PappaSmurf, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Dec 15, 2011 at 8:58 AM
    PappaSmurf

PappaSmurf [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    NC
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 Step Body
    Any suggestions for pads and rotors for my 2003 Tacoma? Toyota parts or something else? replace just the pads or rotors too? 130k miles, no metal on metal, just thinning pads.

2. Dec 15, 2011 at 9:11 AM
    asus611

asus611 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    03 Double Cab Prerunner
    I have 115,000 on mine. I just did front pads/rotors. I went with OEM pads that I got off ebay, I think they were about $37.

As for rotors, I couldn't have them turned as they were not within specs (girlfriend drives truck to work at night and she loooooooves to ride that left pedal), so I went with OEM Brembo replacement rotors (nothing fancy, just the round, flat ones :), about $45 each if I recall.

Very happy with the setup. No noise, plenty of power. Can't go wrong with OEM pads and Brembo rotors.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Dec 15, 2011 at 3:59 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    I've finally found he best setup I've ever ran......and what I'm using currently and will stick with.....powerslot rotors and Wagner thermoquiet ceramic pads. Awesome bite,no pedal fade either with them.

4. Dec 15, 2011 at 4:47 PM
    beerye

beerye Steel Curtain!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD 4x4 5spd
    3" suspension lift 2009 Tacoma Alloys K&N Intake
    Definately agree with the thermoquiet pads, but I went with bosch quietcast rotors because they have a lifetime warranty! Only been on for 2 months, but they still look new!

5. Dec 15, 2011 at 8:08 PM
    TacoTaro

TacoTaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    King Coilovers, Light Racing UCA, OME Dakar leafs w/ extra leaf and SB10" Bilstein 7100's and a U-bolt flip. 4.56's, eLocker rear, ARB front, Marlin rear bumper, ARB Bull Bar w/ Warn M8000. BAMF Sliders. Manual hub conversion with functioning ABS. Tundra front brakes. Manual hub conversion with functioning ABS. SCS F-5's w/ 255/85 Toyo MT's
    Lifetime rotors are ok if you don't mind changing them. But make sure they are made with good metal. Some brands will say in the description something to the effect of "Made with better metal." That is what you are paying for w/ rotors. I'm running EBC replacement (no slots/holes) rotors and I like how they've lasted. Price wasn't bad on them either.

When I was running the stock setup I burned up a set of powerslots in no time. Immediately following that I went to Tundra calipers.

On pads I have liked EBC green stuff, and Akebono. Good results with both. I had a really bad set of "Top of the line" NAPA pads.

6. Dec 15, 2011 at 8:23 PM
    homer96

homer96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    LaFayette, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 4x4 MT 18 TRD Off Road AT 4x4
    I have the Wagner thermoquiets and I love them

7. Dec 16, 2011 at 5:39 AM
    mmiller2002

mmiller2002 Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2004 Double Cab 2wd
    For rotors, Autozone or similar solid blanks should be fine, and they have a lifetime warranty. I've used them on my subaru wrx on the track with no problems. They're just pieces of iron. I'm trying their ceramic pads this weekend, also lifetime warranty. Make sure you use the brake grease on the backside and shims to eliminate noise.

Products Discussed in

To Top