Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Motor start when cold but not hot...Why?

Old 12-15-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
Yan101 is on a distinguished road
Name: Yan
Yan101's Tacoma Gallery
Red face Motor start when cold but not hot...Why?

I have a Tacoma 1997, this summer it's started to have problem starting. I put the keys in I hear crinking but the motor doesn't start. I leave it 5 seconde tri again, same thing. Then at the third or forth tri and for no reason it's start immediatly.

Now the problem is a little different. the moto is very cold (winter) it's start immediatly but if I drive for a while then stop the truck and tri de restart, it won't start...ANY IDEA on why it won't work??? I'M out of Idea...by the way the battery is fine.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:23 PM   #2
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Start with a tune up. Check to see if your coil packs are leaking spark with a spray bottle of water in a dark garage and look for arcs.
Check your air and coolant temp sensors for proper operation too. Fuel pressure might not be the problem, but is worth checking too.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
TacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to behold

TacoTaro's Tacoma Gallery
Any codes?

I had a problem exactly like that with my old 2000 and it was the TPS (throttle position sensor)

But the check engine light would come on.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:48 AM   #4
brs127s has a spectacular aura aboutbrs127s has a spectacular aura aboutbrs127s has a spectacular aura about
brs127s's Tacoma Gallery
I had a similar problem with my 94 'yota truck. It would start perfectly when cold, but when it warmed up to operating temperature, it wouldn't start. It seemed like it was flooded out. On my 94 I was told it was one of two things, the cold start injector was stuck open or the cold start sensor (can't remember the exact name) wasn't working and always thought the truck was cold. This would cause the truck to seem flooded once it was warmed up. I never did fix it. I traded in my 94 for my 04 Dcab. Wish I could have been able to keep it and get my Taco.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
pavement is boring....
lotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jace
lotsoftoys's Tacoma Gallery
is it turning over every time or is it no crank no start?
Old 12-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #6
96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

96Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Clean and inspect your MAF sensor.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:09 AM   #7
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Is it overheating?

I had a van with a bad heater core that would start just fine but as soon as it warmed up, it would sputter and die unless I put it in neutral and gave it gas at red lights.