1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Motor start when cold but not hot...Why?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Yan101, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Dec 15, 2011 at 5:17 PM
    Yan101

Yan101 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Yan
    Québec
    I have a Tacoma 1997, this summer it's started to have problem starting. I put the keys in I hear crinking but the motor doesn't start. I leave it 5 seconde tri again, same thing. Then at the third or forth tri and for no reason it's start immediatly.

Now the problem is a little different. the moto is very cold (winter) it's start immediatly but if I drive for a while then stop the truck and tri de restart, it won't start...ANY IDEA on why it won't work??? I'M out of Idea...by the way the battery is fine.

2. Dec 15, 2011 at 5:23 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Start with a tune up. Check to see if your coil packs are leaking spark with a spray bottle of water in a dark garage and look for arcs.
    Check your air and coolant temp sensors for proper operation too. Fuel pressure might not be the problem, but is worth checking too.

3. Dec 15, 2011 at 7:31 PM
    TacoTaro

TacoTaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    King Coilovers, Light Racing UCA, OME Dakar leafs w/ extra leaf and SB10" Bilstein 7100's and a U-bolt flip. 4.56's, eLocker rear, ARB front, Marlin rear bumper, ARB Bull Bar w/ Warn M8000. BAMF Sliders. Manual hub conversion with functioning ABS. Tundra front brakes. Manual hub conversion with functioning ABS. SCS F-5's w/ 255/85 Toyo MT's
    Any codes?

I had a problem exactly like that with my old 2000 and it was the TPS (throttle position sensor)

But the check engine light would come on.

4. Dec 16, 2011 at 7:48 AM
    brs127s

brs127s Well-Known Member

Member:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Vehicle:
    04 D-Cab 4x4 Limited TRD
    TRD Headers, Aero Turbine AT2525XL Deckplate Mod, TRD tranny cooler, King Coilovers, LR UCAs, Alcan 5 Leaf springs and Bilstein 5100s, Shrockworks front bumper, CBI rear bumper.
    I had a similar problem with my 94 'yota truck. It would start perfectly when cold, but when it warmed up to operating temperature, it wouldn't start. It seemed like it was flooded out. On my 94 I was told it was one of two things, the cold start injector was stuck open or the cold start sensor (can't remember the exact name) wasn't working and always thought the truck was cold. This would cause the truck to seem flooded once it was warmed up. I never did fix it. I traded in my 94 for my 04 Dcab. Wish I could have been able to keep it and get my Taco.

5. Dec 16, 2011 at 8:07 AM
    lotsoftoys

lotsoftoys pavement is boring....

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    98 lifted panda taco
    bunch of crap
    is it turning over every time or is it no crank no start?

6. Dec 16, 2011 at 9:08 AM
    96Taco

96Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2014 DBL CAB Tacoma
    Clean and inspect your MAF sensor.

Products Discussed in

To Top