1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My sound system. What do YOU think?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by YotaKid62, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Dec 21, 2011 at 5:34 PM
    YotaKid62

YotaKid62 [OP] Dirty mall crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Forrest
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma TRD Sr5 5 speed
    Grey Wire Locker Mod, 3" coil spacers & custom leaf packs, 2" BL, Skyjacker rear nitro shocks, Monroe front gas shocks; 15" eclipse sub & 1400 watt visonik amp with Kenwood stereo, Billet Petals, Black Aries series Grille guard, ebay baja lights (unsure of brand)
    I got a deal on some subs that would allow me to keep my cab space for passengers. ik the plywood's a little redneck, but what do you guys think of it?[​IMG]:D:D:D

Since I've had a couple people ask about this, I'll attempt to make this more of a tutorial, and try to give some advice on how to fix some rattles you might find.

Got these, I belive they are 300 watt 4 ohm subs that i have hooked to a 760 watt pioneer amp. I think the subs were like 60 apiece and the amp was 50ish.

[​IMG]

I cut the covers out of 1/2 finished plywood with a jigsaw. I just used the covers and the subs to trace out a decent cut. If You can't figure this out, you probly oughta show this to someone who knows their shit and save yourself some headache, but learning is living. So here we go.

The only thing custom about this is the covers and the lack of a real sub box. After the initial install I wasn't at all happy with all the rattles I ended up with. enclosure is pretty unstable in places so I worked on a fix for that. I drilled a hole through the middle of the enclosure and all the way through the bottom of the truck and stuck a bolt through it to stabilize it a little. I comes out right above the gas tank so it a bit tough to get to, but do-able. Sorry I never took a pic of that. But on the driver side I've had a horrible rattle goin and being that I couldn't figure out how to get a hole in the bottom of the truck where I need it, I took a piece of all-thread and threaded a nut and washer up against the underside of the enclosure and another on top to help hold it in place.

[​IMG]
    The all-thread is just butted against the bottom of the enclosure so make sure its tight or it'll sound like a jackhammer in there when you turn your music up. then just cut the extra off with a hacksaw and put the carpet back.

[​IMG]

It's not pretty by any means. I would recommend sanding the wood down good and at least painting it to match the interior. Also some day i plan to router the under edge of the covers to help them set in better. Oh, and there will be a bracket that holds the jack that you may have to grind out, depending on the size of your magnets. I did, and its by far the hardest part of the project.

[​IMG]

And I used speed nut clips and machine screws to fasten them down. my biggest regret is not getting bigger ones. I can't remember what size they are, but they don't hold like I think they should, but the do the job. No serious issues so far. Just make sure you measure and get ones that fit the holes well. And make sure you take the plastic frames out when you do this so you can use the holes that are already in the enclosure!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG](sorry for the crappy pics)

I just put the wires under the floor mat. If you REALLY wanted to you could cut a slit in your carpet to run your wires through. I don't have an issue with this though.

[​IMG]

...and there is a hole in the enclosure you can run the wires through. Just pull up the carpet, run your wires, and put it back.

[​IMG]...

... and the finished product.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With the seats down you'd never notice there were subs in there (aside from the serious vibrating on your ass when they're turned on:D). But It's a good idea to turn them off when people are sitting there to prevent any damage.

Amp just sits under the seat (passenger side should work too if you don't like it this way, just reverse all the wiring and stuff)
    [​IMG]

some other pics of the wiring... in the firewall there's a rubber plug you can slit to run the power wire (not pictured, its under the floor mat there) through for your amp.
    [​IMG]

Enjoy your value pack of a sound system!

Feel free to ask questions or let me know if I left anything out.

2. Dec 21, 2011 at 5:35 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    That looks good... I am jealous...

3. Dec 21, 2011 at 5:37 PM
    TACOMABOSS

TACOMABOSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec AAL, Deck plate mod, Hella 500ff's, Sportsman Camo seat covers, Total Chaos 1" diff drop, JVC stereo, Painted bumpers and grille, Custom grille insert, HID projectors, Black spray paint
    nice, can you still put the rear "seats" down and have someone "sit" there?

4. Dec 21, 2011 at 5:39 PM
    YotaKid62

Member:
    First Name:
    Forrest
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    Grey Wire Locker Mod, 3" coil spacers & custom leaf packs, 2" BL, Skyjacker rear nitro shocks, Monroe front gas shocks; 15" eclipse sub & 1400 watt visonik amp with Kenwood stereo, Billet Petals, Black Aries series Grille guard, ebay baja lights (unsure of brand)
    Yea, but i usually turn em off when someone's back there because the weight puts alot of pressure against them. A set of grilles would help, but haven't got around to it yet.

5. Dec 21, 2011 at 5:40 PM
    TACOMABOSS

TACOMABOSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec AAL, Deck plate mod, Hella 500ff's, Sportsman Camo seat covers, Total Chaos 1" diff drop, JVC stereo, Painted bumpers and grille, Custom grille insert, HID projectors, Black spray paint
    ahh cool. nice job :thumbsup:

6. Dec 22, 2011 at 12:27 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    Awesome, I did the EXACT same thing to my old 97 5-lug. Only I had just one 10" on the passenger side. I wanted to leave the other side open to store the road-side kit, etc... Remember to seal the shit out of the box "enclosure", and line it with dynomat.

I under mounted the sub on the wood plate I made (like yours), and made a rigid grill cover to go over the whole. That way, I didn't have to worry about passenger weight on the speaker - those fold down seats don't have a rigid frame inside to prevent your passenger's fat ass from pushing down on the speaker.

7. Dec 22, 2011 at 12:39 PM
    TIPICOTACO

TIPICOTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    nw nj
    Vehicle:
    '01 DC 4X4 TRD "RAD BARON"
    Some lift, some armor, some scratches..
    I'm suprised that the seats still go down like they should, and
    I'd be concerned that the weight on them would destroy them. Grilles would help but then youmioght not b able to put the seats down all the way.

if it works for you, WAY TO GO!!

8. Dec 22, 2011 at 12:40 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Looks good!

9. Dec 22, 2011 at 2:28 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    exactly, that's why I under mounted my speaker. I kept the seat flipped down so it looked 100% stock, plus, someone could sit there if they needed to.

10. Dec 22, 2011 at 3:32 PM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    Good work!
    I'd suggest adding some carpet to clean up the plywood look a bit.

IMG_3573_26b306fd993d91aa0268b37a610f72ae082c2be4.jpg

11. Dec 22, 2011 at 9:19 PM
    YotaKid62

Member:
    First Name:
    Forrest
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    yea that'd be a good idea. I wud of shopped around for some plastic but i just used what i had. I'll probly end up takin the beauty rings off to so the seats sit flatter.

12. Dec 22, 2011 at 9:24 PM
    YotaKid62

Member:
    First Name:
    Forrest
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    I would do that but the hole on the passenger side isn't deep enough for the magnets.

13. Dec 24, 2011 at 5:57 PM
    agrant2312

agrant2312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Nicholasville, KY
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 3.4l 4X4
    Intake, Flowmaster Exhaust
    That looks really good i have never though about that! I have 2 10s laying around. How did you get the speaker wire ran to each speaker and where did you mount your amp?

14. Dec 25, 2011 at 6:14 PM
    YotaKid62

Member:
    First Name:
    Forrest
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    Just pull up your carpet along the edge of the backseat 'step'. There should be some holes u can run wire thru. and tuck it under the carpet. Just put your amp under the seat. Mines on the driver side but the passenger side ought to work too. If you have a floor mat in back just use that to cover up the wire. As for the sub on the opposite side of the amp you can run the wires all the way through the cubby hole. On the drivers side there may also be a bracket for holding a jack that you may have to cut out. If u have any questions I can put up some more pics for you

15. Dec 25, 2011 at 10:14 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Looks great man!...wish i had done something like that now instead of this..

6528_1030546584368_1846480219_67171_7618_6b83053061358a76428a139d8c8fe4683c66ff46.jpg

talk about over kill lol

16. Dec 25, 2011 at 10:16 PM
    tc98tacoma

tc98tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nik
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    98tacoma4x4
    3inch toytec coils 5100's, aal(soon to be replaced), 33/12.5 km2s, + a money hole...
    Haha right there with ya man sometimes it's so loud I can't enjoy it haha

17. Dec 25, 2011 at 10:18 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    Yea man lol i like never open up the subs wide open any more. Those 10s can out bump most 12s lol But i have em turned all the way down now lol

18. Dec 26, 2011 at 9:55 AM
    YotaKid62

Member:
    First Name:
    Forrest
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:

19. Dec 26, 2011 at 10:42 AM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    Yea mine flexes the roof and rattles something behind the cab and just shakes the piss out my truck..when i want it to..which is rare now days lol

20. Dec 26, 2011 at 4:08 PM
    YotaKid62

Member:
    First Name:
    Forrest
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    I'm pretty happy w/ mine. Everyone thinks they're badass since no one around here knows anything about subs lol. and hey I was gonna ask how much lift u have on your ride? I wanna know if I can get 33's on mine and still be okay for a fair amount of offroading. Sick lookin' truck BTW:thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top