Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear E-Lock Diff Light indicator

Old 12-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #1
TROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Arty
TROKITA's Tacoma Gallery
Rear E-Lock Diff Light indicator

Hey i know there alot of threads like this one but i cant seem to find the answer i want... its a quick and simple one... but what does it mean when the light is blinking and when the light stays on solid when the RR DIFF LOCK is activated ???? I've gone offroading with my locker on the whole time and its always blinking. I've only seen the light on my truck stay solid once and i was just messing with it.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #2
okboatie1 is a jewel in the roughokboatie1 is a jewel in the roughokboatie1 is a jewel in the rough

Navy:
Name: Darrell
okboatie1's Tacoma Gallery
IIRC blinking means the switch has been activated and the electronic part is trying to activate. Sometimes mine will do this and I have to drive very slowly (2 mph) and turn the wheel one side to the other. Once it locks in, I can feel it. Need to stress, do this v-e-r-y slowly and NOT on pavement, concrete... only dirt, mud blah, blah. If this does not work, you may want to pull it and look at it. Hope this helps.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
TROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of light

TROKITA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by okboatie1 View Post
IIRC blinking means the switch has been activated and the electronic part is trying to activate. Sometimes mine will do this and I have to drive very slowly (2 mph) and turn the wheel one side to the other. Once it locks in, I can feel it. Need to stress, do this v-e-r-y slowly and NOT on pavement, concrete... only dirt, mud blah, blah. If this does not work, you may want to pull it and look at it. Hope this helps.
well i went to a trail run called rattlesnake trail here in utah and my rear locker was on the whole time......working perfectly but it was blinking the whole time i never turn off the car because it was kinda cold, and i never took off the locker....but it was working normal. could it just be like the sensor that is not detecting that its locked ????????? or what the heck ????
Old 12-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
jbrandt will become famous soon enough
jbrandt's Tacoma Gallery
blinking means the locker has not engaged, or there is some other problem.

Be SURE it's actually locked, first. You should hear a clunk, or better yet, lift the rear end and rotate one of the wheels to see if it's locked (or try a sharp turn on asphalt, lol). If it IS locked, check the position censor on the locker itself, it may not be hooked up right (or at all). It's a plug on top (2 pin I think) that tells the computer it's engaged. If that plug is not secure, the computer will not get the signal that it's engaged and flash the locker light.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:26 PM   #5

TROKITA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrandt View Post
blinking means the locker has not engaged, or there is some other problem.

Be SURE it's actually locked, first. You should hear a clunk, or better yet, lift the rear end and rotate one of the wheels to see if it's locked (or try a sharp turn on asphalt, lol). If it IS locked, check the position censor on the locker itself, it may not be hooked up right (or at all). It's a plug on top (2 pin I think) that tells the computer it's engaged. If that plug is not secure, the computer will not get the signal that it's engaged and flash the locker light.
ya it works i just went and did the grey wire mod like 10 mins ago its really easy and it works.....it does make the clunk noise,,, heck it even makes the noise when i push the button, you can hear how the electronic moves to lock on
Old 12-22-2011, 02:36 PM   #6
jbrandt will become famous soon enough
jbrandt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROKITA View Post
ya it works i just went and did the grey wire mod like 10 mins ago its really easy and it works.....it does make the clunk noise,,, heck it even makes the noise when i push the button, you can hear how the electronic moves to lock on
then you probably have an issue with the indicator sensor, it's either bad, or has a bad connection. check the plug on top of the locker, jiggle it, maybe unplug it, clean it, and re-connect.

Otherwise, if you can live with the blinking light, you're probably fine...
Old 12-22-2011, 02:40 PM   #7

TROKITA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrandt View Post
then you probably have an issue with the indicator sensor, it's either bad, or has a bad connection. check the plug on top of the locker, jiggle it, maybe unplug it, clean it, and re-connect.

Otherwise, if you can live with the blinking light, you're probably fine...
ill try that but for now imma leave it not a big issue rightnow thanks
Old 12-22-2011, 03:55 PM   #8
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
For the rest of the world: Blinking means the button has been pushed in, but the differential is NOT locked. Light goes solid when it is locked.

For those with a 4WD, then it will only lock in LOW RANGE...

The Grey Wire Mod (1st. Gen) or the relay mod (2nd Gen.) is the only way a 4WD can use the locker in H2 or H4.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:17 PM   #9
StaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
StaticFilter's Tacoma Gallery
Arturo, lemme know if you ever look deeper into this issue. I push my button and it always blinks, but i dont think mine locks in, I think my actuator needs torn apart... I just don't know if I can remove the actuator and get to it later when i have time or if craps gonna get in and ruin stuff more
Old 12-22-2011, 05:24 PM   #10

TROKITA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
For the rest of the world: Blinking means the button has been pushed in, but the differential is NOT locked. Light goes solid when it is locked.

For those with a 4WD, then it will only lock in LOW RANGE...

The Grey Wire Mod (1st. Gen) or the relay mod (2nd Gen.) is the only way a 4WD can use the locker in H2 or H4.
well it locks and works like a charm i was just wondering why it blinks ill look in to it sooner or later... I just did the grey wire mod and love it cant wait to really use it on a trail without being in 4low.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticFilter View Post
Arturo, lemme know if you ever look deeper into this issue. I push my button and it always blinks, but i dont think mine locks in, I think my actuator needs torn apart... I just don't know if I can remove the actuator and get to it later when i have time or if craps gonna get in and ruin stuff more
ya ill see what i can do but one way to find out if it really locks is you can hear a clunk in the back axle, or find a fairly tall enough ramp and go up it with one tire with 4x4 low.... once it spins out stop push the RR lock diff and go again see if it lacks you can feel it.... if that doesnt work then ya the sensor or something is wrong....
Old 12-30-2011, 03:21 PM   #11
demo243 is on a distinguished road
Name: Devon
demo243's Tacoma Gallery
Having the same issue with mine. Initially it was blinking b/c it was not engaging but I rebuilt the actuator and now it locks immediately but the light keeps blinking.... Doesnt really bother me much since it locks and thats all i really care about
Old 12-30-2011, 03:40 PM   #12
StaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by demo243 View Post
Having the same issue with mine. Initially it was blinking b/c it was not engaging but I rebuilt the actuator and now it locks immediately but the light keeps blinking.... Doesnt really bother me much since it locks and thats all i really care about
Was the rebuild difficult? I've read a walkthrough over on TTORA but it seemed pretty involved, did you have to repair anything or just take it all apart, clean it, and put it back together?
Old 12-30-2011, 04:43 PM   #13
atvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant future

Name: Chris
atvlifestyle's Tacoma Gallery
after I did the grey wire mod mine usually just blinks and doesn't go solid, but it is locked so never really worried about it. its been like 5 years and it has never not locked. I figure my time is better spent on other things and never worked on why.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #14
demo243 is on a distinguished road
Name: Devon
demo243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticFilter View Post
Was the rebuild difficult? I've read a walkthrough over on TTORA but it seemed pretty involved, did you have to repair anything or just take it all apart, clean it, and put it back together?
Was pretty easy. Make sure to hit all your bolts with PB blaster a few times in the days preceeding your rebuild to make life easier. Some jack stands to put the back end of the truck up and allow the axle to droop would probably help as well, but can be done with out lifting the truck up.

Mine came off suprisingly easy considering how rusty the axle was, and was in supprisingly good shape both on the outside and the inside.

Once it was off the axles we left it plugged in and pushed the button to test and see if that was if it was actually spinning. The gear was not moving, you could hear the motor trying to turn it but it would not turn.

When I cracked it open I found that all the grease had dried up and become powder. Went throuhg and cleaned everything out and regreased it. I got new bolts for the two that hold the shell together, (snapped on of them off and had to drill it out and just a bolt and nut on the one that goes all the way through) had to remove the oring gasket, but replaced it with red high temp silcone gasket maker.

Then jacked up the rear driver side and checked to make sure the plate gear in the axle was working and it was actually locking the rear end. As suggested in the walkthrough I put the locker back on the axle in the locked position.

Everything works great! Just the light blinks, but it locks fine.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #15
Well I did a few tests up in the foothills this week, verified that my locker IS working afterall, the light flashes slower when it's engaged in 4-LO than when i push the button in 2WD or 4-HI. Tried climbing a terribly steep dirt road in 4-LO, made it halfway then killed it, rolled back down. Tried again, same effect. Pushed the locker button while in 4-LO, went right up, went down and tried it again, made it again, went down and took off the locker and tried again, didn't make it, put the locker on and went up one last time with success! Looks like i don't need a rebuild afterall