Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Replacing O2 sensor

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-24-2008, 04:22 PM   #1
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Replacing O2 sensor

My truck is throwing code P0031, Oxygen Sensor Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 1 Sensor 1.) All I do is unbolt and unplug the old one and replace with the new one correct? Am I able to get at it from under the truck (03 V6 manual) easily or do I have more work ahead of me?
Old 11-24-2008, 04:26 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post
My truck is throwing code P0031, Oxygen Sensor Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 1 Sensor 1.) All I do is unbolt and unplug the old one and replace with the new one correct? Am I able to get at it from under the truck (03 V6 manual) easily or do I have more work ahead of me?
should be easy enough to get to. you may wanna get some pb blaster and spray on the threads and let it sit for a little while..........those threads can get kinda rusty and be an ass to get off. you also may wanna get an o2 sensor socket.....they have a slot cut into them so you can get it over the o2 sensor easier............thats only if you dont have one already. other than that........unscrew,unplug, then install the new one.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:29 PM   #3
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
the PB blaster is an excellent idea, esp. if there's rust. but wipe it off before you put the new one in. if it gets in the new sensor it'll hose it.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:32 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerNameIsLucy View Post
the PB blaster is an excellent idea, esp. if there's rust. but wipe it off before you put the new one in. if it gets in the new sensor it'll hose it.
yeah...i shoulda added to clean it off before installing the new one.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:56 PM   #5
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery

Thats the sensor from Denso that I'll be getting. Looks like I don't have to screw it in ya? So just spray down the bolts with PB Blaster, unscrew and unplug, wipe off the area that I sprayed down, then drop the new one in and just bolt and plug back in.

Seems simple enough...
Old 11-24-2008, 05:04 PM   #6
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
yup, 1st gens use two bolts to attach it. not sure about 2nd gens.

my haynes suggests you run the engine a little before you break the bolts loose, get the pipe good and warm but not hot enough to burn yourself. guess it helps loosen things.

also from experience you'll want to disconnect the battery for a few minutes after you replace it, or find a OBD scantool and erase the stored code in the ECU.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:05 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance: LAZY DIVISION
AUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant future
AUDITECH's Tacoma Gallery
Yes dont plug it in until you install it you dont want to twist the wires.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:24 PM   #8
rabble rabble rabble
dud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Humane Officer
Name: Dan
dud122's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dud122
i had a check engine light come on and my mechanic said it was the air fuel sensor and it was bank 1 sensor 1... are we talking about the same thing?
Old 11-24-2008, 05:31 PM   #9

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dud122 View Post
i had a check engine light come on and my mechanic said it was the air fuel sensor and it was bank 1 sensor 1... are we talking about the same thing?
Yep, the O2 sensor is the thing that sends the ECU the "contents" of the exhaust so that the ECU can adjust the air/fuel ratio.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:37 PM   #10

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, should I get Bosch or Denso?

URD has the Denso for ~$185 shipped, and Advance Auto has the Bosch for $205. My parents want me to do it at home (I'm home till Sunday) so I'd have to get the thing shipped, so the Denso from URD would end up costing around $200.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:41 PM   #11

OEM is Denso.

Rockauto has them for $146. www.rockauto.com

bought from them several times, even had to return something i screwed up ordering on...never a problem.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:48 PM   #12

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Oh wow, Rock Auto has the Denso with next day shipping for $160!
Old 11-24-2008, 05:50 PM   #13

yer welcome

EDIT: If you can wait a little while RockAuto is constantly sending me 10% off codes, I'd give you one.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:01 PM   #14

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yer welcome

EDIT: If you can wait a little while RockAuto is constantly sending me 10% off codes, I'd give you one.
While I appreciate the offer, you already saved me $40! Plus I found a 5% off coupon online.

Just ordered it for $154 with overnight shipping. Lucy, you ROCK!
Old 11-24-2008, 07:25 PM   #16

DO NOT try the wire/paper clip to get the code(s) that page talks about on an 03. That only works on OBD-I vehicles. You'll fry something on the OBD-II vehicles (95 and up on Toyota).
Old 11-24-2008, 07:35 PM   #17

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Should I reset my CEL before or after replacing the O2 sensor?
Old 11-24-2008, 07:36 PM   #18

after.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:42 AM   #19
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
DO NOT try the wire/paper clip to get the code(s) that page talks about on an 03. That only works on OBD-I vehicles. You'll fry something on the OBD-II vehicles (95 and up on Toyota).
I did it on my 96 and it worked
Old 11-25-2008, 12:44 AM   #20
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post
Should I reset my CEL before or after replacing the O2 sensor?
While you are working on the truck - you should have the battery disconnected anyway. Just by having the battery disconnected and changing the 02 sensor - the CEL shouldn't be on when you're finished.

Products Discussed in this Thread