1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cold Air Intake vs. Stock Intake... Help!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Hendy505, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Dec 29, 2011 at 5:10 PM
    Hendy505

Hendy505 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Albuquerque
    I have recently been deciding wether or not to install a cold air intake in my 2001 3.4L Tacoma. I have seen a few Tacomas with cold air intakes installed and I must admit-- they sound really good. From what i've researched, these "cold air intakes" actually will suck warmer air into the engine as opposed to the stock intake (which draws air from the fender.) If I were to install a cold air intake would there be a noticeable loss in performance? Or would the installation of an after market intake increase my HP?

Thanks!

2. Dec 29, 2011 at 5:22 PM
    Tbones taco

Tbones taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Carrollton
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner ext cab
    Flowmaster 40 smittybuilt bull bar smittybuilt nerf bars hella lights crome custome grill
    There is a lot of info on this subject. I still have my factory oem cold air intake. i put a K&N filter to replace the paper one. Many of these after market coldair intakes have been tested but i know only one that is truly tested by Toyota. The TRD for the money may be you best bet. I personaly like the K&N but i need wheels first so saving up for it now. Good luck. Let me know witch way you go.

surfermatt likes this.
  3. Dec 29, 2011 at 5:39 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    I've been looking into the CAI sucking in hot air from the engine. It seems when the vehicle is running but not moving, Yes the CAI takes in warmer air, but not much of a difference. When the vehicle is moving, it sucks in colder air. So if you do alot of idling or rock crawling then stick with the stock intake, but if you are a normal driver, then by all means get a CAI.

4. Dec 29, 2011 at 5:41 PM
    kmrofka

kmrofka Im so hungry i can ride a horse...

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    03 V6 Prerunner SR5
    Stripped down to the frame
    save yourself some money and research the deck plate mod.

tpharo34 likes this.
  5. Dec 29, 2011 at 5:43 PM
    TacoMX

TacoMX TW's Official anti body-lift pundit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    I noted a loss of about 1mpg when I added my CAI. With no noticeable power gains. Mostly because the stock intake is more of a cold air system than any in-bay CAI.

The only thing an aftermarket CAI is good for is making more noise (which gets old after a while). And they let in a lot of dust if you offroad at all.

Stay stock, and do the deckplate mod if you want noise.

100% stock w/ a dry paper filter (OEM) is best option IMO.

Engine protection>noise and "HP"

6. Dec 29, 2011 at 5:46 PM
    Tbones taco

Tbones taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Carrollton
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner ext cab
    Flowmaster 40 smittybuilt bull bar smittybuilt nerf bars hella lights crome custome grill
    I wanted to do the mod but i see a lot of conflicting info. some say no improvment others say it dose??? aynone care to add their experiences?

7. Dec 29, 2011 at 5:49 PM
    kmrofka

kmrofka Im so hungry i can ride a horse...

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    03 V6 Prerunner SR5
    Stripped down to the frame
    when i did mine i did a six inch plate i def felt a little better throttle response as far as mpg i drive a truck.... i really dont care about mpg

Northeast87 likes this.
  8. Dec 29, 2011 at 5:50 PM
    TacoMX

TacoMX TW's Official anti body-lift pundit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    They DO improve flow. But our engines and trucks were engineered by some really smart folks, and our motors are designed to run at its best the way they rolled off the assembly line (only exception could be the exhaust).

Any time you increase flow you sacrifice filtering efficiency, even with a "performance" drop in filter.

The loss of MPG (at least in my case) and the loss in engine protection is a bad trade-off IMO for 2-3HP.

AFlynn likes this.
  9. Dec 30, 2011 at 7:31 AM
    dark tangent

dark tangent Well-Known Member

Member:
    Madison, WI
    Rigid Dually D2 Amber Driving LEDs mounted on CBI Offroad ditch light brackets.
    I upgraded to headers and a performance exhaust, so I felt I needed more airflow to get the benefits from the newly aquired exhaust system. If you're sticking with the stock exhaust manifold then stick with stock airbox.

I'm happy with my K&N CAI, but I'm not sure I gained anything from it, except the knowledge of how to install one. I have seen no difference in MPGs or power, but I don't do any off-roading nor did I dyno it prior to the install. Perhaps I should have dyno'd it before and after.

It is what it is....and here's mine.

[​IMG]

10. Dec 30, 2011 at 11:38 AM
    lonzorizo

lonzorizo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lonnie
    Hoopa, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD OR, 2016 TRD OR Tacoma
    Stay with stock box and do the deck plate mod..and leave yourself the option of being able to cover your filter. I'd hate having my filter exposed like a cai system, it'd get covered in mud and water at least once a week lol.

11. Dec 30, 2011 at 12:19 PM
    Tacos Por Vida

Tacos Por Vida Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dominick
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    97 Taco
    3-inch revtek spacers 265/75 BFG AT Flowmaster exhaust K&N CAI 12'' Type R w/ 1000w amp pioneer cd deck tinted windows
    i have a k&n CAI it sounds nice and i noticed slightly better throttle response but i installed a throttle body spacer at the same time; so i can't tell you if a CAI really adds a difference. Also with a CAI you have to take off the filter and clean it and re-oil it. It's not hard but takes awhile for the filter to dry. Overall i'm satisfied with my CAI. If you're unsure if you wanna spend the 200+ for the CAI try the deckplate mod. Its a lot cheaper and just as effective

12. Dec 30, 2011 at 12:30 PM
    USCoastGuard12

USCoastGuard12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Beaumont,TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4x4
    Black headlight, taillights, and center rear light. Custom grill, K&N intake,Revtek 3' lift,devil horn emblem,ballistic jesters
  13. Dec 30, 2011 at 1:07 PM
    dark tangent

Member:
    Madison, WI
    hhmmm.... :facepalm:If the truck is sitting still the engine heat will make it's way to the CAI. But a vehicle that's moving will provide the CAI with fresh air. The hot air from the engine with the truck moving will be forced directly under the car, not forward and to the right.

14. Dec 30, 2011 at 1:27 PM
    dark tangent

Member:
    Madison, WI

No I haven't analyzed intake temps on a SC, but my Ultragauge does that. Dang, I should have recorded before and after temps.

Again, I added JBA headers and JBA exhaust so I wanted the increased air flow going in.

I guess K&N, Airaid, Spectre, etc. all have it wrong. In Wisconsin, our below zero temps will make up for the difference 10 fold with the increased engine heat I'm shoveling into the intake.

Does anyone have any stats on this? Given the same variables (outdoor temps, traveling speed) how much hotter is the air with a CAI versus the stock airbox?

15. Dec 30, 2011 at 1:37 PM
    dark tangent

Member:
    Madison, WI
    x2

16. Dec 30, 2011 at 2:14 PM
    elmo7

elmo7 Easily Replaceable Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD OR 4x4
    Seems odd to me that it's called a Cold Air Intake when it's not really "cold". Seems more cars are "cold" from the factory these days, pulling from fender wells, skewps, ports, etc, but I remember seeing older cars w/the intake right there in the engine bay. That wasn't "cold". IMO, a plastic partition around these CAI's is just after-thought design.

But what do I know.

17. Dec 30, 2011 at 2:27 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    The few I have monitored intake temps on showed about 15* hotter than ambient temps. The OEM box averages between 5 and * hotter. This all is depending on speed, and throttle positions.

18. Dec 30, 2011 at 2:28 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    This ^^^^

19. Dec 30, 2011 at 4:18 PM
    atvlifestyle

atvlifestyle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    01 trd tacoma
    supercharged with MCM front kit
    I have run an K&N intake for about 6 years and have no regrets. I had my first problem this year but might have actually ended up better off because of the outerwear I always run on the filter. If I had the deckplate mod I would have sucked in lots of mud. I made a few changes to the sheilding and second time out a totally clean outwear and filter.

Now I also think there are probably better ways to spend your money. I do feel like I do get some gains but I have lots of mods to go with it.

20. Dec 30, 2011 at 4:40 PM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    Generally opening up your air intake and exhaust will give you higher top end power however, it usually comes at the expense of your low end efficiency. Not a trade I would want to make in this truck.

As for temps, temps with my deck plate open (except at speeds) are generally 10-20F over outside temps (20 in stop go traffic). With it closed, only about 5-10F. I couldn't comment on the CAI...

Products Discussed in

To Top