Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Cold Air Intake vs. Stock Intake... Help!

Old 12-29-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
Hendy505 is on a distinguished road
Name: Erik
Hendy505's Tacoma Gallery
Cold Air Intake vs. Stock Intake... Help!

I have recently been deciding wether or not to install a cold air intake in my 2001 3.4L Tacoma. I have seen a few Tacomas with cold air intakes installed and I must admit-- they sound really good. From what i've researched, these "cold air intakes" actually will suck warmer air into the engine as opposed to the stock intake (which draws air from the fender.) If I were to install a cold air intake would there be a noticeable loss in performance? Or would the installation of an after market intake increase my HP?

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
Tbones taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Tony
Tbones taco's Tacoma Gallery
There is a lot of info on this subject. I still have my factory oem cold air intake. i put a K&N filter to replace the paper one. Many of these after market coldair intakes have been tested but i know only one that is truly tested by Toyota. The TRD for the money may be you best bet. I personaly like the K&N but i need wheels first so saving up for it now. Good luck. Let me know witch way you go.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:39 PM   #3
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
I've been looking into the CAI sucking in hot air from the engine. It seems when the vehicle is running but not moving, Yes the CAI takes in warmer air, but not much of a difference. When the vehicle is moving, it sucks in colder air. So if you do alot of idling or rock crawling then stick with the stock intake, but if you are a normal driver, then by all means get a CAI.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
Im so hungry i can ride a horse...
kmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
kmrofka's Tacoma Gallery
save yourself some money and research the deck plate mod.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendy505 View Post
I have recently been deciding wether or not to install a cold air intake in my 2001 3.4L Tacoma. I have seen a few Tacomas with cold air intakes installed and I must admit-- they sound really good. From what i've researched, these "cold air intakes" actually will suck warmer air into the engine as opposed to the stock intake (which draws air from the fender.) If I were to install a cold air intake would there be a noticeable loss in performance? Or would the installation of an after market intake increase my HP?

Thanks!
I noted a loss of about 1mpg when I added my CAI. With no noticeable power gains. Mostly because the stock intake is more of a cold air system than any in-bay CAI.

The only thing an aftermarket CAI is good for is making more noise (which gets old after a while). And they let in a lot of dust if you offroad at all.

Stay stock, and do the deckplate mod if you want noise.

100% stock w/ a dry paper filter (OEM) is best option IMO.

Engine protection>noise and "HP"
Old 12-29-2011, 05:46 PM   #6
Tbones taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Tony
Tbones taco's Tacoma Gallery
I wanted to do the mod but i see a lot of conflicting info. some say no improvment others say it dose??? aynone care to add their experiences?
Old 12-29-2011, 05:49 PM   #7
Im so hungry i can ride a horse...
kmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
kmrofka's Tacoma Gallery
when i did mine i did a six inch plate i def felt a little better throttle response as far as mpg i drive a truck.... i really dont care about mpg
Old 12-29-2011, 05:50 PM   #8
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbones taco View Post
I wanted to do the mod but i see a lot of conflicting info. some say no improvment others say it dose??? aynone care to add their experiences?
They DO improve flow. But our engines and trucks were engineered by some really smart folks, and our motors are designed to run at its best the way they rolled off the assembly line (only exception could be the exhaust).

Any time you increase flow you sacrifice filtering efficiency, even with a "performance" drop in filter.

The loss of MPG (at least in my case) and the loss in engine protection is a bad trade-off IMO for 2-3HP.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:31 AM   #9
dark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the sheddark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the sheddark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the sheddark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the sheddark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the sheddark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the sheddark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the sheddark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the sheddark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the sheddark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the sheddark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the shed
dark tangent's Tacoma Gallery
I upgraded to headers and a performance exhaust, so I felt I needed more airflow to get the benefits from the newly aquired exhaust system. If you're sticking with the stock exhaust manifold then stick with stock airbox.

I'm happy with my K&N CAI, but I'm not sure I gained anything from it, except the knowledge of how to install one. I have seen no difference in MPGs or power, but I don't do any off-roading nor did I dyno it prior to the install. Perhaps I should have dyno'd it before and after.

It is what it is....and here's mine.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:38 AM   #10
lonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to all

Name: Lonnie
lonzorizo's Tacoma Gallery
Stay with stock box and do the deck plate mod..and leave yourself the option of being able to cover your filter. I'd hate having my filter exposed like a cai system, it'd get covered in mud and water at least once a week lol.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:19 PM   #11
Tacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dominick
Tacos Por Vida's Tacoma Gallery
i have a k&n CAI it sounds nice and i noticed slightly better throttle response but i installed a throttle body spacer at the same time; so i can't tell you if a CAI really adds a difference. Also with a CAI you have to take off the filter and clean it and re-oil it. It's not hard but takes awhile for the filter to dry. Overall i'm satisfied with my CAI. If you're unsure if you wanna spend the 200+ for the CAI try the deckplate mod. Its a lot cheaper and just as effective
Old 12-30-2011, 12:30 PM   #12
USCoastGuard12 is on a distinguished road

Name: Conner
USCoastGuard12's Tacoma Gallery
Intake

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/att...1&d=1325276997

K&N intake
Attached Thumbnails
Cold Air Intake vs. Stock Intake... Help!-dscn0749.jpg  
Old 12-30-2011, 01:00 PM   #13
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Stock box. All these intakes pictured are hot air intakes. With hot air you lose power.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:07 PM   #14
dark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the sheddark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the sheddark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the sheddark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the sheddark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the sheddark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the sheddark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the sheddark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the sheddark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the sheddark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the sheddark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Stock box. All these intakes pictured are hot air intakes. With hot air you lose power.
hhmmm.... If the truck is sitting still the engine heat will make it's way to the CAI. But a vehicle that's moving will provide the CAI with fresh air. The hot air from the engine with the truck moving will be forced directly under the car, not forward and to the right.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #15
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark tangent View Post
hhmmm.... If the truck is sitting still the engine heat will make it's way to the CAI. But a vehicle that's moving will provide the CAI with fresh air. The hot air from the engine with the truck moving will be forced directly under the car, not forward and to the right.
I guess you have never had a SC to watch intake temps. While moving the hot air does go away but the temp is still higher than running an actual cold air intake. Also int he end it is an intake and you are driving a brick.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:27 PM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I guess you have never had a SC to watch intake temps. While moving the hot air does go away but the temp is still higher than running an actual cold air intake. Also int he end it is an intake and you are driving a brick.

No I haven't analyzed intake temps on a SC, but my Ultragauge does that. Dang, I should have recorded before and after temps.

Again, I added JBA headers and JBA exhaust so I wanted the increased air flow going in.

I guess K&N, Airaid, Spectre, etc. all have it wrong. In Wisconsin, our below zero temps will make up for the difference 10 fold with the increased engine heat I'm shoveling into the intake.

Does anyone have any stats on this? Given the same variables (outdoor temps, traveling speed) how much hotter is the air with a CAI versus the stock airbox?
Old 12-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
I've been looking into the CAI sucking in hot air from the engine. It seems when the vehicle is running but not moving, Yes the CAI takes in warmer air, but not much of a difference. When the vehicle is moving, it sucks in colder air. So if you do alot of idling or rock crawling then stick with the stock intake, but if you are a normal driver, then by all means get a CAI.
x2
Old 12-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #18
Easily Replaceable Member
elmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
elmo7's Tacoma Gallery
Seems odd to me that it's called a Cold Air Intake when it's not really "cold". Seems more cars are "cold" from the factory these days, pulling from fender wells, skewps, ports, etc, but I remember seeing older cars w/the intake right there in the engine bay. That wasn't "cold". IMO, a plastic partition around these CAI's is just after-thought design.

But what do I know.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:27 PM   #19
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark tangent View Post
No I haven't analyzed intake temps on a SC, but my Ultragauge does that. Dang, I should have recorded before and after temps.

Again, I added JBA headers and JBA exhaust so I wanted the increased air flow going in.

I guess K&N, Airaid, Spectre, etc. all have it wrong. In Wisconsin, our below zero temps will make up for the difference 10 fold with the increased engine heat I'm shoveling into the intake.

Does anyone have any stats on this? Given the same variables (outdoor temps, traveling speed) how much hotter is the air with a CAI versus the stock airbox?
The few I have monitored intake temps on showed about 15* hotter than ambient temps. The OEM box averages between 5 and * hotter. This all is depending on speed, and throttle positions.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:28 PM   #20
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmo7 View Post
Seems odd to me that it's called a Cold Air Intake when it's not really "cold". Seems more cars are "cold" from the factory these days, pulling from fender wells, skewps, ports, etc, but I remember seeing older cars w/the intake right there in the engine bay. That wasn't "cold". IMO, a plastic partition around these CAI's is just after-thought design.

But what do I know.
This ^^^^