Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Drive-shaft: Incorrect Diff Alignment after Leaf Swap

Old 12-30-2011, 03:33 PM   #1
misterdmac is on a distinguished road

Name: Doostin
misterdmac's Tacoma Gallery
Drive-shaft: Incorrect Diff Alignment after Leaf Swap

After replacing my leaf packs the other day, I realize that my drive shaft is no longer straight. The diff points more horizontally, angling the 3rd member more outboard. I'm sure I re-torqued everything properly, so I obviously didn't support the front side of the diff enough. I've been driving it without any problems, but can finally take the time tomorrow to correct it.

What I'm wondering is, how far do I need to go with wheel removal/jack stands before I can just throw a jack under there and push the thing back into proper alignment? Can I just chock the front wheels, take off the e-brake, loosen the u-bolts and do it? Jack it partially? Or will I have to jack it, remove wheels and then loosen the u-bolts? I find I'm not too great at visualizing where the weight's going to be.

Obviously the extra work of removing the wheels etc. isn't prohibitive. I ain't about to leave it and shred my diff to pieces. But if anyone's got experience correcting for this, I'd love your input.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Picture? The angle shouldn't matter TOO MUCH, unless its completely horrible.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:14 PM   #3
misterdmac is on a distinguished road

Name: Doostin
misterdmac's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't call it terrible. But it's all still stock, so the driveshaft should still be in a straight(ish) line, right? The front end of the diff should be pointed more upward/inboard, or at least it WAS before my leaf swap.

But then again, I suppose that's why they driveshaft is sectioned. Otherwise even minor suspension flexing would tweak shit, eh?

EDIT: happy holidays, per feint reindeer in the background.
Attached Thumbnails
Drive-shaft: Incorrect Diff Alignment after Leaf Swap-dsc03368.jpg  
Old 12-30-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah that shouldn't matter, looks like mine does right now.