LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

96 Tacoma 2wd 2.4...manual tranny/clutch question

Old 12-30-2011, 04:22 PM   #1
millwark is on a distinguished road
millwark's Tacoma Gallery
96 Tacoma 2wd 2.4...manual tranny/clutch question

Hello everyone. I haven't had a chance yet to introduce myself because I have a pressing question I hope someone can help with.

I'm replacing the clutch on a 96 Tacoma 2wd 2.4l. I figured out that I needed to rotate the tranny 90 degrees clockwise to pul it put, but I'm having a tough time putting it back in. I got the clutch kit installed ok.

As I was manhandling it toget the thing back in I ruined a clutch fork clip. I've got a new one now. What is the trick to this...

Should I wait until some other point in the installation to put the fork and release bearing back in? Also, do I need to have the tranny at the 90 degree rotated position when putting it back in, or just straight in?

I'm stuck and would appreciate some advice.

Thanks again guys. I'm really frustrated after running into a bolt with a rounded head etc.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:11 PM   #2
Buggys3sgte is on a distinguished road
Name: !@$*
Buggys3sgte's Tacoma Gallery
Did you drop the sway bar out of the way? You should be able to push the trans up and straight in with little problems of interference if the sway bar is out of the way, the clutch fork should be installed before you put the trans in as the closer you get it to sliding into the input shaft the less room you have to get your hands into the bellhousing to put the throw out bearing/fork back in. Take a pic of what you are having issues with and i can help you out. Good Luck man
Old 12-30-2011, 05:16 PM   #3
misterdmac is on a distinguished road

Name: Doostin
misterdmac's Tacoma Gallery
When exactly does the tranny need to be rotated? Like, right after it comes off the guide pins, or?? I mean if you had to rotate it to get it out, you will have to do so in reverse, I'd say. When I did the clutch on my 2.7, that was not the case.

Are you using a service manual? Haynes or otherwise? Or just going with it? Do you have a floor jack? Get one of those to hold most of the weight while you position the bastard. And a buddy to help, makes it wayyyy easier.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
On the 96 Tacoma 2wd, there's a tranny crossmember that you cannot remove, so you have to angle the rear of the tranny up over it first and then inch the front up in line with the engine. I have a tranny jack as well as a regular one. Truck is up on ramps and jack stands. Problem I'm having is installing the clutch fork, and then bashing it as I try to wiggle the tranny in, because the fork sticks out and hits everything as I'm trying to rotate it into position.

Using a Haynes manual, and it says to pull tranny back when removing it, then rotate 90 degrees to the right and it breaks free. The manual doesn't say to reinstall from that position, just says to put it back in. Nice....
Old 12-30-2011, 06:02 PM   #5
misterdmac is on a distinguished road

Name: Doostin
misterdmac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by millwark View Post
The manual doesn't say to reinstall from that position, just says to put it back in. Nice....
Man, that's uh, not useful. But to me that implies "do the reverse to install." Which would include the rotation. And an unremovable crossmember? I guess I can't be of much help since my only experience is with 4wd. But on the 4wd you HAVE to remove the crossmember to do the job...

Just have to find some way to move the thing more gently. Have you ever tried Astroglide???
Old 12-30-2011, 06:03 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterdmac View Post
Man, that's uh, not useful. But to me that implies "do the reverse to install." Which would include the rotation. And an unremovable crossmember? I guess I can't be of much help since my only experience is with 4wd. But on the 4wd you HAVE to remove the crossmember to do the job...

Just have to find some way to move the thing more gently. Have you ever tried Astroglide???
That'd almost be funny if I wasn't without a truck right now...
Old 12-31-2011, 10:12 AM   #7
Buggys3sgte is on a distinguished road
Name: !@$*
Buggys3sgte's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry about the sway bar advice, i was thinking of the 95 down pickups with there sway bar towards the rear. Anyways on the tacomas, you are right the cross member on 2wd's is welded in, so slide the tailshaft side back as far past the crossmember as you can go. Then take the fork off until you can manuever the bellhousing side up and into the tunnel area. As soon as it's up into it's tunnel slide the trans as far back towards rear of vehicle and then proceed to install the clutch fork with TOB. Not sure if there is enough room but you could unbolt the bellhousing from the trans and slide the trans in easy but i don't know if you will have enough room to rebolt the bellhousing back onto the trans. Good Luck with it.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:13 AM   #8
Well...I fugured it out. I was doing everything right. The only thing I lacked was the experience of having done one before. I found out that you get the engine and tranny as close as possible, and then start a bolt on one side, then the other and slowly tighten them together. For some odd reason, logic didn't kick in till the meltdown started....haha. Thanks for the attempt at help guys. Much appreciated.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:26 AM   #9
Darex is on a distinguished road
Name: Darex
Darex's Tacoma Gallery
For any one who reads this. Please do not use that advice... mating a transmission using bolt tension is a terrible idea. Seen plenty of cracked bellhousings from people doing this. For sure this is not the way to get the housing to mate up.
When u can't get things to line up. stop... Get up walk away and then look at how your supporting the motor. Adjust it and bam it will slide together.
Then go party.
Ps.
Attitude and a good friend can make the difference in all aspects of life.

Good luck.

D