1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

96 Tacoma 2wd 2.4...manual tranny/clutch question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by millwark, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Dec 30, 2011 at 4:22 PM
    millwark

millwark [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2wd
    Hello everyone. I haven't had a chance yet to introduce myself because I have a pressing question I hope someone can help with.

I'm replacing the clutch on a 96 Tacoma 2wd 2.4l. I figured out that I needed to rotate the tranny 90 degrees clockwise to pul it put, but I'm having a tough time putting it back in. I got the clutch kit installed ok.

As I was manhandling it toget the thing back in I ruined a clutch fork clip. I've got a new one now. What is the trick to this...

Should I wait until some other point in the installation to put the fork and release bearing back in? Also, do I need to have the tranny at the 90 degree rotated position when putting it back in, or just straight in?

I'm stuck and would appreciate some advice.

Thanks again guys. I'm really frustrated after running into a bolt with a rounded head etc.

2. Dec 30, 2011 at 5:11 PM
    Buggys3sgte

Buggys3sgte Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    !@$*
    Psycho state of AZ
    Vehicle:
    97 BUDGET Taco
    Newly rearranged front end, sick Hurst shifter yo gives it lightning fast shifts, thats it more to come.
    Did you drop the sway bar out of the way? You should be able to push the trans up and straight in with little problems of interference if the sway bar is out of the way, the clutch fork should be installed before you put the trans in as the closer you get it to sliding into the input shaft the less room you have to get your hands into the bellhousing to put the throw out bearing/fork back in. Take a pic of what you are having issues with and i can help you out. Good Luck man

3. Dec 30, 2011 at 5:16 PM
    misterdmac

misterdmac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doostin
    In or around the truck
    Vehicle:
    '97 2.7L DLX
    When exactly does the tranny need to be rotated? Like, right after it comes off the guide pins, or?? I mean if you had to rotate it to get it out, you will have to do so in reverse, I'd say. When I did the clutch on my 2.7, that was not the case.

Are you using a service manual? Haynes or otherwise? Or just going with it? Do you have a floor jack? Get one of those to hold most of the weight while you position the bastard. And a buddy to help, makes it wayyyy easier.

4. Dec 30, 2011 at 5:27 PM
    millwark

millwark [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2wd
    On the 96 Tacoma 2wd, there's a tranny crossmember that you cannot remove, so you have to angle the rear of the tranny up over it first and then inch the front up in line with the engine. I have a tranny jack as well as a regular one. Truck is up on ramps and jack stands. Problem I'm having is installing the clutch fork, and then bashing it as I try to wiggle the tranny in, because the fork sticks out and hits everything as I'm trying to rotate it into position.

Using a Haynes manual, and it says to pull tranny back when removing it, then rotate 90 degrees to the right and it breaks free. The manual doesn't say to reinstall from that position, just says to put it back in. Nice....

5. Dec 30, 2011 at 6:02 PM
    misterdmac

misterdmac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doostin
    In or around the truck
    Vehicle:
    '97 2.7L DLX
    Man, that's uh, not useful. But to me that implies "do the reverse to install." Which would include the rotation. And an unremovable crossmember? I guess I can't be of much help since my only experience is with 4wd. But on the 4wd you HAVE to remove the crossmember to do the job...

Just have to find some way to move the thing more gently. Have you ever tried Astroglide??? :p

6. Dec 30, 2011 at 6:03 PM
    millwark

millwark [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2wd
    That'd almost be funny if I wasn't without a truck right now...:rolleyes:

7. Dec 31, 2011 at 10:12 AM
    Buggys3sgte

Buggys3sgte Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    !@$*
    Psycho state of AZ
    Vehicle:
    97 BUDGET Taco
    Newly rearranged front end, sick Hurst shifter yo gives it lightning fast shifts, thats it more to come.
    Sorry about the sway bar advice, i was thinking of the 95 down pickups with there sway bar towards the rear. Anyways on the tacomas, you are right the cross member on 2wd's is welded in, so slide the tailshaft side back as far past the crossmember as you can go. Then take the fork off until you can manuever the bellhousing side up and into the tunnel area. As soon as it's up into it's tunnel slide the trans as far back towards rear of vehicle and then proceed to install the clutch fork with TOB. Not sure if there is enough room but you could unbolt the bellhousing from the trans and slide the trans in easy but i don't know if you will have enough room to rebolt the bellhousing back onto the trans. Good Luck with it.

8. Jan 1, 2012 at 12:13 AM
    millwark

millwark [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2wd
    Well...I fugured it out. I was doing everything right. The only thing I lacked was the experience of having done one before. I found out that you get the engine and tranny as close as possible, and then start a bolt on one side, then the other and slowly tighten them together. For some odd reason, logic didn't kick in till the meltdown started....haha. Thanks for the attempt at help guys. Much appreciated.

9. Apr 17, 2014 at 8:26 AM
    Darex

Darex New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darex
    ashland
    Vehicle:
    06 quad trd 4x4, 13 preruna quad
    For any one who reads this. Please do not use that advice... mating a transmission using bolt tension is a terrible idea. Seen plenty of cracked bellhousings from people doing this. For sure this is not the way to get the housing to mate up.
    When u can't get things to line up. stop... Get up walk away and then look at how your supporting the motor. Adjust it and bam it will slide together.
    Then go party.
    Ps.
    Attitude and a good friend can make the difference in all aspects of life.

Good luck.

D

Products Discussed in

To Top