Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Aux Jack on stock radio

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-31-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
smagohawks is on a distinguished road
smagohawks's Tacoma Gallery
Question Aux Jack on stock radio

Is it possible to add an auxiliary jack to my stock radio on a 2003 Tacoma?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:25 PM   #2
BARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud of

Name: Brian
BARTRD's Tacoma Gallery
yes, iSimple offers one that goes through you radio's antenna. sound quality leave much to be desired...
Old 12-31-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
wesb1023 is a splendid one to beholdwesb1023 is a splendid one to beholdwesb1023 is a splendid one to beholdwesb1023 is a splendid one to beholdwesb1023 is a splendid one to beholdwesb1023 is a splendid one to beholdwesb1023 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Westley
wesb1023's Tacoma Gallery
Google Grom Audio. They sell a kit to add just the aux port or you can get the one that charges and controls your ipod from your factory head unit.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:59 PM   #5
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
Just gonna assume OP wants to do it on a 1st gen.. ^ is not gonna be the same.. maybe similar though.. OP check it out!
Old 12-31-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
sander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
sander1036's Tacoma Gallery
USA spec sells one uses your cd changer plug on the back of your radio to have auxiliary or iPod hook up
Old 12-31-2011, 03:18 PM   #7
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
He has a 2003

That link is for 2005-08
Old 01-01-2012, 08:19 AM   #8
spidy3 is a splendid one to beholdspidy3 is a splendid one to beholdspidy3 is a splendid one to beholdspidy3 is a splendid one to beholdspidy3 is a splendid one to beholdspidy3 is a splendid one to beholdspidy3 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Dom
spidy3's Tacoma Gallery
I have a USA spec one and like it. I have a ipod cable and a aux cable hooked to it so I can either plug my ipod in and charge it (one certain models will charge) or I can use the aux to plug my phone in. Sound quality is decent since your still working with the stock deck/speakers. I recently added an amp to all my speakers and sounds alot better. I have no regrets on getting it.

I also found on ebay when I was looking that some guy was making built-in aux jacks in stock radios. If I remember correctly they were only around $70. Not bad to get a aux and keep stock headunit

edit...

Ok i was wrong, its $175

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Tacom...ht_3517wt_1037
Old 01-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #9
beedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shed

beedoola's Tacoma Gallery
I'm also interested in this! I have an 01' with a stock radio and would like to attempt this mod.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
ALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Andrew
ALawrence's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd.....

what about one of them cassette player adapters?
Old 01-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #11
Mall Crawler of the Year
TRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
TRDBen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALawrence View Post
sub'd.....

Ive got one of those and it works awesome.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #12
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALawrence View Post
sub'd.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDBen View Post
Ive got one of those and it works awesome.
I used one too, until I upgraded my HU. It worked well, but definitely not the sound quality you get with direct-wire connectivity.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #13
NegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NegroTundra's Tacoma Gallery
For what it's worth, I used a cassette tape adapter for 1 year before I "upgraded" to a headunit that integrated the ipod jack and such. I seriously can't tell a difference in sound quality between the two. Just my .02 for the frugal kind.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #14
smagohawks is on a distinguished road
smagohawks's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys!
I didn't even consider a cassette adapter. That will work great.
Thanks again for all the info.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #15
DoubleCab362 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Sean
DoubleCab362's Tacoma Gallery
I'm In the same boat, im still running the factory head unit and at some point will upgrade. For now I also use the cassette player it works great with the iPhone! I hide the wire by shoving it under the edge of the console down to the shifter! It hide fairly well.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #16
jbrandt will become famous soon enough
jbrandt's Tacoma Gallery
IMO, you're better off buying a relatively cheap deck from Crutchfield or something. You can get (usually for free) an installation kit so you don't have to do ANY wiring or anything. Just unplug the OEM wire harness, and plug the adapter in, and then the adapter into the new deck, and blam: done.

You can get a descent deck that has an aux input and has way more power than the stock unit for $100. It's been my experience that the deck is the weak point with the OEM audio system in the 1st gen Tacos because they are under powered. When I put in a Kenwood deck (50W x 4 channel + sub output) in my '04 DC, I had planned to replace the OEM speakers, too, but ended up leaving them because the sound got MUCH better, enough that I didn't bother getting new speakers. All this for minimal effort/cost, plus you get the aux input and CD/MP3 CD compatibility, too. I put in a small sub woofer behind the rear seat, too, but I had to build a custom box.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #17
beedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shed

beedoola's Tacoma Gallery
I also use a tape adapter but from what a friend has told me; there is a sound quality difference between use a cassette adapter and a deck with a AUX input.

However, those other decks may have better preamps/whatever else, what may contribute to a better sound. My friend has not modded his stock deck with the AUX input discussed here.

I imagine there would be a sound difference between a direct wire connection and having to source the audio through the tape head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrandt View Post
IMO, you're better off buying a relatively cheap deck from Crutchfield or something. You can get (usually for free) an installation kit so you don't have to do ANY wiring or anything. Just unplug the OEM wire harness, and plug the adapter in, and then the adapter into the new deck, and blam: done.

You can get a descent deck that has an aux input and has way more power than the stock unit for $100. It's been my experience that the deck is the weak point with the OEM audio system in the 1st gen Tacos because they are under powered. When I put in a Kenwood deck (50W x 4 channel + sub output) in my '04 DC, I had planned to replace the OEM speakers, too, but ended up leaving them because the sound got MUCH better, enough that I didn't bother getting new speakers. All this for minimal effort/cost, plus you get the aux input and CD/MP3 CD compatibility, too. I put in a small sub woofer behind the rear seat, too, but I had to build a custom box.

Cool! Good to know, what deck did you get?
Old 01-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #18
jbrandt will become famous soon enough
jbrandt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beedoola View Post
I also use a tape adapter but from what a friend has told me; there is a sound quality difference between use a cassette adapter and a deck with a AUX input.

However, those other decks may have better preamps/whatever else, what may contribute to a better sound. My friend has not modded his stock deck with the AUX input discussed here.

I imagine there would be a sound difference between a direct wire connection and having to source the audio through the tape head.

Cool! Good to know, what deck did you get?
it was a few years back, so they don't even make it any more. It's a 50Wx4 channel that plays MP3 CD's - pretty basic, I think I paid like $150 for it. I have an aux input, but not like they have now. I connected an RCA to headphone jack converter to the CD changer input in the back of the deck, and routed the plug thru the dash. Now I can connect my phone/MP3 player to my stereo, but I still have to control the songs etc... using the device itself.

Newer decks basically all have USB connectors and aux inputs to directly connect your ipod/player to the front of the deck, no adapter needed (like I have). Hell, a lot of them even have bluetooth so you can hands-free call, or use your phone's song lists.

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_300/Car-Receivers.html?tp=5684&nvpair=FFBrand|Kenwood

I'm thinking of "breaking" my current deck so I can tell the wife I "need" one of these with bluetooth...
Old 12-13-2012, 07:29 AM   #20
ALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Andrew
ALawrence's Tacoma Gallery
a year later....

i still think the $10 tape adapter is the way to go.... i've had it in my truck for over a year, although, now that its gotten colder, the taple player head makes some noise... guess thats a downfall

Products Discussed in this Thread