Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Add a leaf or buy a new set of leaf?

Old 12-31-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
thomas2002 is on a distinguished road
thomas2002's Tacoma Gallery
Add a leaf or buy a new set of leaf?

Hi,

I am a new lifter here. I need your help if I lift it right. I will get all 5100 shock around and the front coils I keep stock or change it? The rear leaf, it look flat. If I add a leaf, it will be ok to ride good of I chang it to new set of leaf? I dont want to mess it up. I just want to do it right and ride right with 3 inches lift
Thanks for your help

THOMAS
Old 12-31-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas2002 View Post
Hi,

I am a new lifter here. I need your help if I lift it right. I will get all 5100 shock around and the front coils I keep stock or change it? The rear leaf, it look flat. If I add a leaf, it will be ok to ride good of I chang it to new set of leaf? I dont want to mess it up. I just want to do it right and ride right with 3 inches lift
Thanks for your help

THOMAS
Regarding the rear, any lift you do whether its AAL,new leaf pack,blocks,etc; is going to require extended rear shocks & an extended brakeline, for the front to get an honest 3" lift go with the 5100 adjustable strut, set it at 0 (stock height) & get some Eibach/Toytec coils & you'll get 3" & still align within fac. specs.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:55 PM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Regarding the rear, any lift you do whether its AAL,new leaf pack,blocks,etc; is going to require extended rear shocks & an extended brakeline, for the front to get an honest 3" lift go with the 5100 adjustable strut, set it at 0 (stock height) & get some Eibach/Toytec coils & you'll get 3" & still align within fac. specs.
So, I go with 5100 set it at 0 ( stock height ) and get Eibach or Toytec. By doing this the coil lift? not the shock lift, right? and we dont need do aligment???
Thanks for the help
Old 12-31-2011, 09:58 PM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
as far as leaves go, if your leaves are in good shape then aal if they arent then new pack. leaves should have a good arc, upward at the ends. flat or frowning leaves means new pack. i, like you, have a 02 prerunner dbl cab (ftw !) and my pack is shot but then again it has towed a pretty heavy boat quite a bit so idk about you
I leaf is flat, so I need new set? you mean
Thanks
Old 12-31-2011, 10:04 PM   #5
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
yes, but you would need an alignment just to get shit straightened out after fooling with the suspension.

you wouldnt need an alignment after only a rear lift

Quote:
I leaf is flat, so I need new set? you mean
Thanks
the new pack would be best. AALs could buy you a year to build up funds for the new pack, though.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:14 PM   #7
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So, I go with 5100 set it at 0 ( stock height ) and get Eibach or Toytec. By doing this the coil lift? not the shock lift, right? and we dont need do aligment???
Thanks for the help
Oh , you always want/need to re align front after doing susp./lift mods,

its the coils that will provide the lift not the strut w/Eibachs
Old 01-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
If you haven't already done so, Thomas, I recommend you peruse the the Suspension Lift Info and Tacoma Lift FAQ/Guide Stickies in the Suspension forum. There, you will find a wealth of information regarding various lift options.
Thankyou for everyone to help me and support information as well. Anyway I will buy at new set leaf ALCAN and longer shock 5100 cause I want from 2 to 3 inches height. So, we are for sure this set up for the rear end will be great?

The front end, I am still confuse because of some member said I only need 5100 and keep stock coils and It stiil ok to drive but the truck still lift 3 inches with 5100 without change stock coils?.....What make the truck lift? the shock or the coils???
I just want understand to lift right before I start doing on my truck
Thanks
THOMAS
Old 01-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #10
tbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
tbturner47's Tacoma Gallery
5100'S are adjustable in the front. If you left stock coils on you can raise the shocks to 2.5" (I think that's as high as they go). The higher you raise them the worse they ride. So ideally you want to leave them at a 0" setting and put bigger coils on (such as the eibachs).

Hope that clears it up.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #11
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I will buy at new set leaf ALCAN and longer shock 5100 cause I want from 2 to 3 inches height. So, we are for sure this set up for the rear end will be great?
Which ALCAN springs are you considering?

Quote:
The front end, I am still confuse because of some member said I only need 5100 and keep stock coils and It stiil ok to drive but the truck still lift 3 inches with 5100 without change stock coils?.....What make the truck lift? the shock or the coils???
Travis is spot-on. You can lift your front-end by pre-loading your stock coils (i.e., using 5100 shocks on either their 1.25" or 2.5" setting) OR by replacing the stock coils with taller ones (e.g., Eibachs or OMEs) and leaving the 5100s set to 0". The choice to pre-load or replace coils is a matter of ride preference, along with budget considerations.

5100s WILL work with stock, Eibach, or OME coils, though some folks prefer to pair OME Nitrocharger shocks with OME springs. This is a matter of ride preference, not a requirement. (Many of us are happy with the OME/5100 combo.) Note that taller coils should NOT be pre-loaded, if paired with 5100 shocks.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #12
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thankyou for everyone to help me and support information as well. Anyway I will buy at new set leaf ALCAN and longer shock 5100 cause I want from 2 to 3 inches height. So, we are for sure this set up for the rear end will be great?
Lift height depends on which Alcan springs you order.
Alcan springs are very good and come in various configurations.

Quote:
I just want understand to lift right before I start doing on my truck
Thanks
THOMAS
The front 5100's are unique in that the spring perches are adjustable.
You can lift with the stock springs by adjusting the perches up.
This is called "pre-loading" the spring. It generally yields a lower quality ride as compared to using "lift spring" such as the Eibach.

Some will use a combination of the Eibach and a little "pre-load" to reach their desired ride height.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #13
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflan View Post
Some will use a combination of the Eibach and a little "pre-load" to reach their desired ride height.
Not on first gens. Eibach coils give 1st gens 3-3.5'' of lift up front w/ the bilsteins set on "0" And that pretty much maxes out the stock IFS.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #14
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
Not on first gens. Eibach coils give 1st gens 3-3.5'' of lift up front w/ the bilsteins set on "0" And that pretty much maxes out the stock IFS.
I stand corrected.
That's good to know.

OP, do you savvy this ?
Old 01-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #15
Thanks Norton,
I will get Alcan 2 inches lift and 5100 all around. Which way is give us ride quality? keep stock coils and preload it or buy new set of Eibach/OME?
Thanks
Old 01-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #16
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks Norton,
I will get Alcan 2 inches lift and 5100 all around. Which way is give us ride quality? keep stock coils and preload it or buy new set of Eibach/OME?
Thanks
You're welcome! Pre-loading makes for a harsher ride, so the best ride quality comes from skipping the pre-load and buying new (taller) springs.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #17
I am clear now Norton. You help me alot since I dont want to mess my truck. I love this truck and never give me problem for 10 years, 105,000 miles so far. I just want for better look and fun ride but still for quality ride ( I dont do off road )

Here is the cost of my lift project for 2 to 3 inches:

5100 all around cost $300
Set of Alcan lift 2 inches cost $400
Longer spring Eibach or OME you mention for quality ride cost $200 ( no preload )
Total cost is going to be $900 plug something else I think.

Norton. Any suggestion for me?
Thanks
Old 01-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #18
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
You're also going to need a Brake Proportioning Valve bracket to make the rear brakes work correctly. I would get a higher lift for the rear with the eibach springs and 5100s. The back end will probably sit lower than the front with that setup unless that's the look you're going for. I've heard good things about the Allpro leaf packs that give 3" of lift.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #19
Kmok,
You mean that Acan leaf is not enough level with my set up? So, your suggestion is Eibach or Allpro leaf to get 3 inches height? Thankyou so much for your post with me
Thanks