Notices

2.4L Starter won't disengage with key out

Old 01-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
CA Freedive is on a distinguished road
Army: WOC, D Co. 1-140th Avn (Asslt)
Name: Ben
CA Freedive's Tacoma Gallery
2.4L Starter won't disengage with key out

My truck is a 1997 2.4L 2wd reg cab with manual everything.

For awhile it has intermittently kept the starter engaged after starting, I would turn it off and then turn it back on and all would be good.

Today the starter engaged and stayed engaged until I disconnected the battery, reconnecting the battery cable immediately engages the starter.

I searched around on the forum and found these threads:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...y-running.html
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...connected.html
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...4l-engine.html
Those were helpful and I have the Haynes manual and google to help me remove and breakdown the relevant part.

From what I've read I'll be repairing or replacing the starter, starter relay or solenoid. I'll be getting anything that I can't find in a local auto parts store shipped to me through Rock Auto.

My questions to you and the reason I created a new thread is:
1) Based on the given information can anyone pinpoint the problem to a certain component?
2) If the problem can't be pinpointed to a specific component, where should I start?
3) For this problem can I rebuild or do I have to replace and if I can rebuild, what replacement parts would I need?

I'm on Christmas Exodus from Army Warrant Officer Candidate School right now and report back tomorrow afternoon for the last few weeks of training so I won't be able to communicate or do anything about this until the end of the month.
Any information you can give me is greatly appreciated as I'd like to get this taken care of as soon as possible after I graduate.
Thanks in advance!
Old 01-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Freedive View Post
My truck is a 1997 2.4L 2wd reg cab with manual everything.

For awhile it has intermittently kept the starter engaged after starting, I would turn it off and then turn it back on and all would be good.

Today the starter engaged and stayed engaged until I disconnected the battery, reconnecting the battery cable immediately engages the starter.

I searched around on the forum and found these threads:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...y-running.html
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...connected.html
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...4l-engine.html
Those were helpful and I have the Haynes manual and google to help me remove and breakdown the relevant part.

From what I've read I'll be repairing or replacing the starter, starter relay or solenoid. I'll be getting anything that I can't find in a local auto parts store shipped to me through Rock Auto.

My questions to you and the reason I created a new thread is:
1) Based on the given information can anyone pinpoint the problem to a certain component?
2) If the problem can't be pinpointed to a specific component, where should I start?
3) For this problem can I rebuild or do I have to replace and if I can rebuild, what replacement parts would I need?

I'm on Christmas Exodus from Army Warrant Officer Candidate School right now and report back tomorrow afternoon for the last few weeks of training so I won't be able to communicate or do anything about this until the end of the month.
Any information you can give me is greatly appreciated as I'd like to get this taken care of as soon as possible after I graduate.
Thanks in advance!
1. No

2. This should be easy to isolate. The exact same symptom happened to a friend on his 4runner. Unplug the small wire that plugs into the side of the starter. That's the wire that activates the internal solenoid and makes the motor spin. With that wire unplugged, hook the battery back up. If it still cranks over on it's own, the starter solenoid contacts inside the starter are welded together in the on position. If the starter does not activate with that wire unplugged, then you have issues with another component. If you have to go into that a wiring schematic for your truck will be helpful. My friends 4runner was welded starter contacts.

3. You can rebuild this. You need new starter solenoid contacts and possibly a new solenoid plunger. My friend bought his online for around 50 bucks if I remember right.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
52motorhead is on a distinguished road

52motorhead's Tacoma Gallery
Starter solenoid if NFG. The plunger is stuck making the starter stay on/engaged.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
awwwwww yeeeeeeeeahhhhh
mountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cory
mountainman94's Tacoma Gallery
exact same thing happened to me, i think my thread was one you linked. i didn't try to isolate the problem other than replacing the actual starter. since i've done it, i haven't had another problem with it so i'm assuming that was it. for what yours is doing i'm pretty sure if you replaced the starter it would likely fix it.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #5
Drewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Drewski's Tacoma Gallery
Check this thread. All you need to know. I had the exact same problem as you have, described here. This write-up was really good, the rebuild was a piece of cake. It would have been an even cakier piece of cake if I just took the wheel off first. I removed the starter from underneath, which was a bit of a pain. I pulled the driver's side front wheel to reinstall, totally easy.