1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2.4L Starter won't disengage with key out

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by CA Freedive, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Jan 1, 2012 at 6:44 PM
    CA Freedive

CA Freedive [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Enterprise, AL (Point Loma)
    Vehicle:
    1997 2.4L, 2wd, 5 spd, 88k, beige
    Seat covers.
    My truck is a 1997 2.4L 2wd reg cab with manual everything.

For awhile it has intermittently kept the starter engaged after starting, I would turn it off and then turn it back on and all would be good.

Today the starter engaged and stayed engaged until I disconnected the battery, reconnecting the battery cable immediately engages the starter.

I searched around on the forum and found these threads:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/161754-starter-contiuously-running.html
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1s...-stop-running-until-battery-disconnected.html
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/te...arter-replacement-how-5vz-fe-3-4l-engine.html
    Those were helpful and I have the Haynes manual and google to help me remove and breakdown the relevant part.

From what I've read I'll be repairing or replacing the starter, starter relay or solenoid. I'll be getting anything that I can't find in a local auto parts store shipped to me through Rock Auto.

My questions to you and the reason I created a new thread is:
    1) Based on the given information can anyone pinpoint the problem to a certain component?
    2) If the problem can't be pinpointed to a specific component, where should I start?
    3) For this problem can I rebuild or do I have to replace and if I can rebuild, what replacement parts would I need?

I'm on Christmas Exodus from Army Warrant Officer Candidate School right now and report back tomorrow afternoon for the last few weeks of training so I won't be able to communicate or do anything about this until the end of the month.
    Any information you can give me is greatly appreciated as I'd like to get this taken care of as soon as possible after I graduate.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Jan 1, 2012 at 6:52 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    1. No

2. This should be easy to isolate. The exact same symptom happened to a friend on his 4runner. Unplug the small wire that plugs into the side of the starter. That's the wire that activates the internal solenoid and makes the motor spin. With that wire unplugged, hook the battery back up. If it still cranks over on it's own, the starter solenoid contacts inside the starter are welded together in the on position. If the starter does not activate with that wire unplugged, then you have issues with another component. If you have to go into that a wiring schematic for your truck will be helpful. My friends 4runner was welded starter contacts.

3. You can rebuild this. You need new starter solenoid contacts and possibly a new solenoid plunger. My friend bought his online for around 50 bucks if I remember right.

3. Jan 1, 2012 at 7:02 PM
    52motorhead

52motorhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Starter solenoid if NFG. The plunger is stuck making the starter stay on/engaged.

4. Jan 1, 2012 at 7:46 PM
    mountainman94

mountainman94 awwwwww yeeeeeeeeahhhhh

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    A Place of Higher Learning
    Vehicle:
    '98 TRD SR5
    5100's/Eibach coils; 2 inch toytech AAL, Black Pacer 15x8 wheels, 32x11.5 BFG AT K/Os
    exact same thing happened to me, i think my thread was one you linked. i didn't try to isolate the problem other than replacing the actual starter. since i've done it, i haven't had another problem with it so i'm assuming that was it. for what yours is doing i'm pretty sure if you replaced the starter it would likely fix it.

5. Jan 3, 2012 at 8:36 PM
    Drewski

Drewski Well-Known Member

Member:
    People's Republic of Chicago
    Vehicle:
    '99 Prerunner SR5 Xtracab 4 cyl auto
    Check this thread. All you need to know. I had the exact same problem as you have, described here. This write-up was really good, the rebuild was a piece of cake. It would have been an even cakier piece of cake if I just took the wheel off first. I removed the starter from underneath, which was a bit of a pain. I pulled the driver's side front wheel to reinstall, totally easy.

Products Discussed in

To Top