Notices

Rear sag with a topper help.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:55 AM   #1
SonnysTile is on a distinguished road

Name: Sonny
SonnysTile's Tacoma Gallery
Rear sag with a topper help.

HEYO!

I have an 04 Dbl Cab TRD 4x4 with a Snugtop cab high topper on it.

I recently parked next to a buddy with a similar truck and no topper and noticed that I'm sagging.

eBay has some Rough Country add a leafs for way cheap.

What's the remedy YOU would choose?
Old 01-04-2012, 05:22 AM   #2
Jdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Daniel
Jdaniel1274's Tacoma Gallery
Add a leafs, will only work for a while, the leaf springs on the 1st generation are weak, for a long term fix you should replace your leaf springs.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Yep. Your best bet would be replacing the rear leaves with something that will handle the load better. In the short term you could just use an AAL or airbags.

I am running the OME Dakar springs and have a snugtop. With the just Dakars it still sagged until I added the OME AAL to go with it. Helped a lot with sag and load capacity.

Before with just Dakars

after with Dakars and OME D6XL AAL
Old 01-05-2012, 03:24 AM   #4

I understand that you usually "get what you pay for", but I saw a pair of Rough Country AAL on eBay that were only $50 shipped.

That's pretty tempting to at least get me through til Spring.

I've just recently spent a little dough on the truck and need to simmer down for a hot minute.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:33 AM   #5
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
how bad is it? post some pics
Old 01-05-2012, 04:06 AM   #6
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnysTile View Post
I understand that you usually "get what you pay for", but I saw a pair of Rough Country AAL on eBay that were only $50 shipped.

That's pretty tempting to at least get me through til Spring.

I've just recently spent a little dough on the truck and need to simmer down for a hot minute.
The AAL will be fine as long as your existing springs still have arc and are not flat.

I would use the ToyTec or Wheeler's offering myself, but maybe the Rough Country is OK.
You want the AAL leaf to be as long as possible. Some of the cheaper ones are fit-alls and are short, square-cut, with no pads.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflan View Post
The AAL will be fine as long as your existing springs still have arc and are not flat.

I would use the ToyTec or Wheeler's offering myself, but maybe the Rough Country is OK.
You want the AAL leaf to be as long as possible. Some of the cheaper ones are fit-alls and are short, square-cut, with no pads.

This.

I have the wheelers AAL with my Wheelers 5 pack leafs. Helped a ton and is a great product.

Either way, new leafs never hurt. Your gonna have to replace them soon anyways.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #8
jbrandt will become famous soon enough
jbrandt's Tacoma Gallery
Your *best* best is custom Alcan springs, IMO. 10 minutes on the phone with them and they'll get you set up with EXACTLY the right kind of springs for your application. I believe they generally run about $600 for a set (could be wrong though).

But yes, an AAL is a "good" short term/cheap alternative.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #9
DblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DblCabMN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
This.

I have the wheelers AAL with my Wheelers 5 pack leafs. Helped a ton and is a great product.

Either way, new leafs never hurt. Your gonna have to replace them soon anyways.
So you are at 6 leafs right?

I've got the 5 pack too and while i'm still level wit ha topper, my load capacity is shit...

I was thinking in the spring i'd bump from OME 881's to Eibachs and an AAL... did you get any amount of lift with the W AAL or was it just load increase? Their site doesn't really say what you get... (near the bottom)

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacoleafs.htm
Old 01-07-2012, 05:19 AM   #10

The sag isn't TERRIBLE, but I'd estimate it at 2"-3" lower than an untopped reg Cab.

The Rough Country's advertise as a "Short" AAL.

I should be looking for a longer one with pads? Never heard of pads and am not real sure about anything suspension related.

I think an AAL will be good enough for me for now.

Next year I may to the entire Spring pack and shocks and what not.

Recommended AAL?
Old 01-07-2012, 05:29 AM   #11
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Recommended AAL?
Already did in post #6
ToyTec
Wheeler's Off Road

Call 'em, they use Deaver and Alcan (read good stuff) .....they also know Tacos.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflan View Post
Already did in post #6
ToyTec
Wheeler's Off Road

Call 'em, they use Deaver and Alcan (read good stuff) .....they also know Tacos.

Just ordered the $75 AAL from Toytec.

How long to install do you reckon?

anything else I will need handy while I'm getting after this?
Old 01-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #13
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

good choice. I avoid rough country, most of their stuff is just redneck junk...I put them in the same arena as procomp and tough country...lol

And the longer AAL you ordered will ride better than the short one.

Install is pretty easy. Just unbolt U-bolts, support rear axle on jacks, remove bumpstop and center pins, install AAL and new center pins, and reassemble.

You may need new U-bolts if your stockers are too short for the AAL or are rusty.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #14
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblCabMN View Post
So you are at 6 leafs right?

I've got the 5 pack too and while i'm still level wit ha topper, my load capacity is shit...

I was thinking in the spring i'd bump from OME 881's to Eibachs and an AAL... did you get any amount of lift with the W AAL or was it just load increase? Their site doesn't really say what you get... (near the bottom)

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacoleafs.htm
Yep 6 leafs. It gave me about another 1.5'' or more of lift, Dan says its abouts 1.5-2'' depending. If you go to my build you can see a before and after with the AAL as i ordered it a week after i put the 5 pack and shackles on. I bet if i didn't have my 1.5'' shackles i would sit level with the Eibachs. Helped a lot with load too. Runs a bit stiff but when there is a bit of weight back there its great
Old 01-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #15
Dr. Frankenstein

Quote:

Install is easy, just becareful. there are several write ups on how to do it so a bit of searching will be all you need. Its the same process for 2nd gens so don't worry if you can't find a 1st gen one.

Do you have an extended brake line? MIGHT need that..but prolly not..

And as TX stated U bolts are a possibility. But a cheap way to get around that is just post up in the for sale section to try and buy some 2nd gen ubolts. They are longer then ours and if someone lifted there truck with low miles they will be in great shape. I did this and they are long enough for my 6 pack. Got em for free from my dad So just a tip.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #16

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
I avoid rough country, most of their stuff is just redneck junk...I put them in the same arena as procomp and tough country...lol