Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Skid Plates for 1st Generation. Also,I read about a 20 % discount of SkidRow plates?

Old 01-04-2012, 06:28 AM   #1
Killer is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Killer's Tacoma Gallery
Skid Plates for 1st Generation. Also,I read about a 20 % discount of SkidRow plates?

I am looking to purchase a full set of Skid Plates for my 1998 Tacoma xTended Cab 4x4. What do you recommend? I am looking for the easiest to install.

Also, I read somewhere that someone got a 20% discount on SkidRow plates by ordering off of a Jeep website but, I can't find the thread. If anyone knows, please let me know.

Thanks,

Killer
Old 01-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
Phuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
Phuket's Tacoma Gallery
I heard bud built skids are the best
Old 01-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
bud built
Old 01-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
On TTORA I've heard a lot of guys prefer the skidrow over the budbuilt front skid saying the design is better so it doesn't bend. "The SR has 2 extra mounting spots on the front ifs crossmember. The bud built doesn't and I've seen people bend the BB's where the extra mounts would have prevented it." Quote from TTORA. Here's the thread I found the quote and it has pictures on the first page of the extra mount. I plan to get a skidrow front skid and a trailgear transfercase skid in the future.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DblCabMN View Post
Thanks for the link KMOK - i'll be including the SR extra brace when i make my own BB knock-offs this spring
No problem man, I'm glad I could help out lol
Old 01-05-2012, 05:53 AM   #7
Killer is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Killer's Tacoma Gallery
What do you all think about MetalMiller.com skid plates? He is a member on this website and I like to help individuals. But, I don't know anything about skid plates to be an informed consumer.

Does MetalMiller's plates cover as much as SkidRow's Engine and Transmission plates? Also, on any plates do they not have to be removed to get to the oil filter?

Thanks for your help,

Killer
Old 01-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #8
BVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to behold
BVCOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
OP, I have been looking at the Skid Row skids for my 02 Tacoma Xtra Cab. I just looked at jeepforum.com to see if they posted a discount there, but do not see anything. If you find a 20% discount post it up on this thread and I will order some too!
Where did you hear about the discount?
Old 01-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #9
Plastidipped ma Hootus!

kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
What do you all think about MetalMiller.com skid plates? He is a member on this website and I like to help individuals. But, I don't know anything about skid plates to be an informed consumer.

Does MetalMiller's plates cover as much as SkidRow's Engine and Transmission plates? Also, on any plates do they not have to be removed to get to the oil filter?

Thanks for your help,

Killer
Metalmiller's skids should be good, they're the same thickness as skid rows and budbuilt's but it doesn't look like it has the support skid row's has. The skid row front skid and metal miller skid have the same coverage. Adding the skid row transmission skid will be more coverage than just the metalmiller skid. I've heard the skidrow is pretty easy to get to the oil filter with it on and the hole for the drain plug is a little bit larger than the budbuilts. I'm not sure about the metalmiller skid for oil changes, here's the thread about his skid.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #10
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Just an FYI....

1) SkidRow has announced that starting January 2012 they will be using/selling off from AMAZON....

2) I was told you could change the 2.7 engine oil filters w/o removing the plate....

3) But if you are like me..."Mod" list just got blown to he!!

Life happens...2012 will have me spending $$$$ on the Tacoma and a Ridgeline....
Old 01-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #11

Killer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVCOTaco View Post
OP, I have been looking at the Skid Row skids for my 02 Tacoma Xtra Cab. I just looked at jeepforum.com to see if they posted a discount there, but do not see anything. If you find a 20% discount post it up on this thread and I will order some too!
Where did you hear about the discount?
This is what I did to get roughly a 10% discount from SkidRow:
SKID ROW TRANSMISSION SKID 96-04 TACOMA TA-0003 $209.99 (233.00 Skid Row Price)
SKID ROW TRANSFER CASE SKID 96-04 TACOM TA-0001 $199.99 (216.00 Skid Row Price)
SKID ROW FRONT SKID 96-04 TACOMA TA-0002 $209.99 (233.00 Skid Row Price)

Skid Row price for all 3 will be $682.00 plus shipping $69.65 = $751.65

Quadratec.com price for all 3 will be $619.97 plus shipping $59.99 = $679.96

For a difference of $71.69 between them. So roughly 10% cheaper going through Quadratec.com

The parts are not listed on their website. So I did a live chat and gave them the part numbers from Skidrow.

I hope this helps someone here out. If you have any questions, please let me know.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:55 AM   #12
Banned
hayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
hayabusa3303's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Killer
I have his skid plate on mine. I have to say i love it. Guy did one hell of a job on it and talk about THICK. The plate weights in at a heavy 48 pounds. Mine bolted right up and no problems.

Only bad thing is when it comes to oil changes there is no oil drain hole so you have to remove the skid. Next time im do for a oil change im going to drop the skid and use a remote oil draining system in my engine.

Personally i wouldnt want a hole for oil draining in the like the factory one More stuff that can possible get to the engine and cause damage.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #13
Bash Fabriction & Off-Road
01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
01Tac0ma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa3303 View Post
I have his skid plate on mine. I have to say i love it. Guy did one hell of a job on it and talk about THICK. The plate weights in at a heavy 48 pounds. Mine bolted right up and no problems.

Only bad thing is when it comes to oil changes there is no oil drain hole so you have to remove the skid. Next time im do for a oil change im going to drop the skid and use a remote oil draining system in my engine.

Personally i wouldnt want a hole for oil draining in the like the factory one More stuff that can possible get to the engine and cause damage.
x2 i didnt want the hole for the oil change instead im gonig to be using this. & the filter is reachable from the driver fender with no issue and i dont drop a bit of oil on the skid

But i would reccomend his skids, the only thing is right now he doesnt have the belly pan skid made up yet but is working on one which will be re-inforced so it wont bend like the BB's have been known to do and the front skid takes place of the stock skid and is the same length
Heres some pics of mine.
beside stock, it doesnt look as long but its because of the bend in it but its a bit longer i believe and a helluva lot stronger! I have used it a few times lately

Old 01-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #14
haddix will become famous soon enoughhaddix will become famous soon enough

haddix's Tacoma Gallery
I've got just what you're looking for.
These skids protect all the IFS components, steering rack, transmission and continue to behind the transfer case.
$400 for IFS skid and Belly Pan.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...-16-200-a.html
Old 01-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #15
Bash Fabriction & Off-Road
01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
01Tac0ma's Tacoma Gallery
Im curious as to whether or not your belly pan will bolt up to my skid...I will have to shoot you a PM and see about some measurements between mine and yours
Old 01-13-2012, 08:41 AM   #16

Killer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by haddix View Post
I've got just what you're looking for.
These skids protect all the IFS components, steering rack, transmission and continue to behind the transfer case.
$400 for IFS skid and Belly Pan.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...-16-200-a.html
Haddix,

Your skid plates look pretty good. I wish you would have responded quicker because I have already purchased the SkidRow Engine, Transmission and Transfer Case skids.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:25 AM   #17
BAZZMAZZA has a spectacular aura aboutBAZZMAZZA has a spectacular aura aboutBAZZMAZZA has a spectacular aura about

Navy:
BAZZMAZZA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This is what I did to get roughly a 10% discount from SkidRow:
SKID ROW TRANSMISSION SKID 96-04 TACOMA TA-0003 $209.99 (233.00 Skid Row Price)
SKID ROW TRANSFER CASE SKID 96-04 TACOM TA-0001 $199.99 (216.00 Skid Row Price)
SKID ROW FRONT SKID 96-04 TACOMA TA-0002 $209.99 (233.00 Skid Row Price)

Skid Row price for all 3 will be $682.00 plus shipping $69.65 = $751.65

Quadratec.com price for all 3 will be $619.97 plus shipping $59.99 = $679.96

For a difference of $71.69 between them. So roughly 10% cheaper going through Quadratec.com

The parts are not listed on their website. So I did a live chat and gave them the part numbers from Skidrow.

I hope this helps someone here out. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Great TIP! I just did this and saved.. Just for future searches here is the part numbers that the quadratech sales dept needs to place the order.

SKIDROW PART # TA-0002 = QUADRATEC PART # 125297000 for 209.99
SKIDROW PART # TA-0003 = QUADRATEC PART # 125297001 for 209.99

shipping was 57.00

I just placed the order for a front skid and transmission skid. Hope this helps..
Old 06-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #18
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa3303 View Post
I have his skid plate on mine... Guy did one hell of a job on it and talk about THICK. The plate weights in at a heavy 48 pounds... Only bad thing is when it comes to oil changes there is no oil drain hole so you have to remove the skid. Next time im do for a oil change im going to drop the skid and use a remote oil draining system in my engine.
x3. I posted a brief review, of what I saw as the good and bad when I received mine:
The Good:
- I finally received my skid plate, and it is SOLID.
- The TRD cuts, powdercoat finish, and red backplate look great.
- MetalMiller offered to install the red backplate, for free, since the skid took so long to produce.
- Three of the skid's five bolt holes were correctly placed.

The Bad:
- The skid was ordered on 5 Jul, but didn't arrive until 26 Aug.
- What metalmiller identified as "dust" turned out to be some kind of overspray that won't come off the powdercoat finish.
- There were several deep gouges in what was otherwise a good looking finish.
- Two of the skid's five bolt holes were incorrectly placed. (I had to have new left and right "front" holes punched.)