Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Cheap lift kit

Old 01-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
Orlo555 is on a distinguished road
Name: Adam
Orlo555's Tacoma Gallery
Cheap lift kit

Hey everyone, what's your opion for a cheap to reasonable lift kit set up for a 2003 v6 4x4 taco. I do not off road as there is not much around me but Ive had the truck for years and definetly tired of stock look. I think 33s would be good to beef it up but still keep it streetable. Any suggestions on how much lift I need and what kits or parts I can use and not be to expensive or cause major damage to other parts like the diffs. Any oter suggestions would be appreciated or any tips on tire and rim size.
Thanks Adam
Old 01-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
5100s.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
Honey badger hits whatever tree he wants to hit!!
Honey badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 Zulu
Name: Bon
Honey badger's Tacoma Gallery
Kings FTW!! No really 5100's please don't get a spacer go with the billys.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
Orlo555's Tacoma Gallery
What else do I need besides 5100s and what are Billy's, what size tires can I run with 5100s
Old 01-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Billy's is the nickname for Bilstein.

Get some Bilstein 5100 Shocks, the front shocks are adjustable for lift. Use your stock coils and set the front on 2.5''. In the rear get either an AAL or a Lift shackle.

2.5'' in the front and 1.5-2'' of lift in the rear will get you about level.

All four bilstein 5100's is $300 from downsouth motorsports with the TW dicount and free shipping. Toytec has a 2'' AAL for $40-$80 depending on which one you pick.

Thats the cheapest lift you can get without going with shit spacers and blocks.

Should be able to run 32X11.5 or similar size without any problems with this lift.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #6
Orlo555's Tacoma Gallery
How do the 5100 work to get lift with stock springs, also why about control arms or sway bar links or brake lines is that 2.5 bigger than those stock components can handle
Thanks for all the advise
Old 01-04-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
The lower spring perch has 3 settings giving the coil preload to lift the truck. I cant remember how much the first 2 postions give; but the tallest gives 2.5''.

Control arms, sway links, brake lines in the front will be fine all stock with the 2.5'' of lift. You might want to get a diff drop to reduce CV angle, but its not required.

In the rear you will probably need a longer brake line, and if you get an AAL you will need longer u bolts.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #8
andoskyy is on a distinguished road
andoskyy's Tacoma Gallery
For what its worth, I have spacers in my 1996 with AAL's in the rear, and have also lifted numerous friend's 4runners and tacomas with spacers and they are all perfectly happy. if you arent doing a lot of off roading, spacers and blocks/AAL's shouldn't be completely eliminated
Old 01-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #9
Tacomanater is on a distinguished road

Tacomanater's Tacoma Gallery
There are pros and cons to spacers/blocks. They are cheap and will give you "the look"...the question might be better asked, at what cost? I can tell you that I just did a ready-lift block install and the truck looks fine, but it rides like shit!...and this is with new shocks, too! Had I known, I would have installed Bilsteins or others to acheive the same results. You decide what is more important to you and your wallet. My situation works for me, for know, but, I will change up the suspension most likely, later this year.

Spacers work, they are cheap. Shocks, etc., are a better way to go. As long as your lift isn't more that 2.5" you should be all set with the rest of the truck staying stock. Once you pierce the 3" lift threshold, it gets more expensive as more parts are required. Check the suspension sticky in here....great place to start, it will answer a bunch of questions. And there are plenty of helpful members in here. GL.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #10
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Farva
k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
pro crap (comp) for now, then when you get some flow...king's. lol, get the billies
Old 01-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #11
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Bilistein, Eibach coils, Aal. Be done with it.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #12
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Don't forget a brake proportioning valve bracket
Old 01-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #13
Orlo555's Tacoma Gallery
You say with the 5100 and add a leads I should be able to run 32x11.50s without rubbing is that including no rubbing during off roading, if I put 33x12.50s on would I rub on the street or just when off roading, also ether 32x11.50 or 33x12.5 do I need a wider rims if so how wide and what back spacing do I need
Old 01-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #15
jbrandt will become famous soon enough
jbrandt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlo555 View Post
Hey everyone, what's your opion for a cheap to reasonable lift kit set up for a 2003 v6 4x4 taco. I do not off road as there is not much around me but Ive had the truck for years and definetly tired of stock look. I think 33s would be good to beef it up but still keep it streetable. Any suggestions on how much lift I need and what kits or parts I can use and not be to expensive or cause major damage to other parts like the diffs. Any oter suggestions would be appreciated or any tips on tire and rim size.
Thanks Adam

Cheap lift???

let's just say, in general, you get what you pay for. The exception I beleive is the set of 5100's. I just installed mine a few weeks back. The 3 levels for the front are stock, 1.5", and 2.5" lift. I put mine at 1.5" lift, and got a Toytech 1" shackle for the rear.

If you want a stock height, you need to get the 5125's for the rear (according to DSM where got mine). The 5100 rear shocks need at least 1" lift.

For around $350 bucks, you've got a decent 0-2.5" lift with good shocks. Any more lift than that and you'll want to start working on your CV angles (= more $$$).
Old 01-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #16
Orlo555's Tacoma Gallery
So if I go 5100 front and rear with add a leads it should give me 2.5 of lift and 32x11.50 will work, what about 33x11.50s. And I'm good with rims with 4 inch of backspacing and 8 inch wide for any 11.50 tire, any suggestions on decent priced tires that are good in those sizes
Old 01-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #17
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomanater View Post
I can tell you that I just did a ready-lift block install and the truck looks fine, but it rides like shit!...and this is with new shocks, too!
Devil's advocate here.

Block lift seems to be everyone's favorite whipping boy, but I think for the wrong reasons.

Please explain why simply adding blocks affects THE RIDE? Seems to me,
the ride is determined by the quality and condition of the shocks and springs.
If all you do is add blocks (and longer u-bolts of course), then "the ride" should be the same.

The only real disadvantages are increased axle wrap, and reduced axle droop.
These can be corrected by an anti-wrap bar and longer shocks.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #18
Dirty mall crawler
YotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Forrest
YotaKid62's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
cheap lift?? is there such a thing???..

33x12.5s will rub no matter what. Even with 3'' of lift. You have to do trimming with them. Ask me how i know.

3.75'' BS is best for 12.5s. 4'' is fine with 11.5s or even really stock rims. You need an 8'' wide rim for 12.5'' wide tires tho. Thats the minimum to keep for doing damaging wear on the tires.
Exactly how much trimming do you have to do to get 33's under a 3 " lift? I want to get some on my truck but don't really want to cut alot of stuff.
So should I just save myself the trouble and go with 32's until I can afford more lift?
Old 01-06-2012, 02:09 AM   #19
Dr. Frankenstien, in surgery
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlo555 View Post
So if I go 5100 front and rear with add a leads it should give me 2.5 of lift and 32x11.50 will work, what about 33x11.50s. And I'm good with rims with 4 inch of backspacing and 8 inch wide for any 11.50 tire, any suggestions on decent priced tires that are good in those sizes
Good luck finding a 33x11.5r15 tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaKid62 View Post
Exactly how much trimming do you have to do to get 33's under a 3 " lift? I want to get some on my truck but don't really want to cut alot of stuff.
So should I just save myself the trouble and go with 32's until I can afford more lift?
Dependeds on the truck and lift really. and BS. So far tho, its lookin like not much for me. Just the part on the firewall side. There is a part that sticks out and covers the pinch weld, just gotta wack that off and smash the pinch weld against the truck. But i haven't been wheeling yet so we shall see.

Others have had to do more and some almost none.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #20
fueldriver is on a distinguished road
Name: Frank
fueldriver's Tacoma Gallery
i got a 3 in revteck lift on my 06 taco, just wondering if 285/70/17 would be ok and not rub.