1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Please Help Running Rough!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by staplak, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Jan 4, 2012 at 5:45 PM
    staplak

staplak [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Guntersville, AL
    Vehicle:
    04 Black Prerunner SR5 DoubleCab
    Thule Xsporter Rack
    I have an 04 Taco 3.4 and I left for work the other morning. Truck cold and about a 100 yards down road truck started running very rough. Check Engine light flashing. I could go light on the throttle and it was not as bad but if I got above a certain rpm or it changed gears it would start shaking. I got out of the truck and manifold and cat were glowing red. I got to work code was P0306 and a couple more missfire codes. The missfires were on #3 and #6. I changed the plugs, did sea foam, and cleaned MAF sensor. No change. I checked for archs showing at night on the coils and wires and no archs. Please if anyone has any ideas?

2. Jan 4, 2012 at 6:06 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Check the EGR valve moves freely and for any electrical wiring that may be caught around the egr valve. Check vacuum hoses aren't cracked (in fact just change the vacuum hoses out when you get the chance) Good luck.

3. Jan 4, 2012 at 6:19 PM
    staplak

staplak [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Guntersville, AL
    Vehicle:
    04 Black Prerunner SR5 DoubleCab
    Thule Xsporter Rack
    Where is the egr valve and do you know of any post how to change the vacuum lines. Im not the best mechanic

4. Jan 4, 2012 at 6:40 PM
    Steves104x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    [​IMG]The egr should look something like this. You should be able to push the diaphram (under where the rubber hoses enter and exit) If its solid as a rock you need a new valve (again, if this is even the problem)

If your vacuum hoses are dried out, cracked or disconnected you'll get a vacuum leak.

You said you cleaned the throttle body but did you clean the Idle Air Control?

You say a misfire on 3 and six; I'm sorry but someone else will have to chime in on that one.

5. Jan 4, 2012 at 7:11 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    There is no EGR on the 3.4. Check the fuel injectors. Swap with another cyl. and see if the code is different. ALso may want to change the fuel filter.

6. Jan 4, 2012 at 8:57 PM
    Steves104x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    If #3 and #6 cylinder are sparked be one coil maybe that coil is bad. Sorry I'm not familiar with the 3.4.

7. Jan 5, 2012 at 1:13 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

Your CAT/CATS are maybe plugged up & toast as far as the red hot manifold & cats go, if its plugged from all the shit in the cat burning up & not allowing exhaust to flow as it should. Ya gotta somehow narrow down all the codes being thrown I guess...

8. Jan 5, 2012 at 3:01 AM
    SafetyDang

SafetyDang get your facts straight

Member:
    First Name:
    Dang
    Anaheim, CA
    Vehicle:
    DC with 4x4 & MT Conversion
    Swapped to Manual Trans & 4x4
    You have a super rich condition which is overworking the catalytic converter. That's why it was glowing. Obviously, this isn't good for the converter. It can handles small incursions into these heat ranges, but often leads to melted converter elements. Also leads to clogged converters.

"rough engine" comments could be referring to fouled plugs which would confirm a mixture issue

9. Feb 23, 2012 at 8:22 PM
    PhdNPrerunners

PhdNPrerunners Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    The Woodlands, TX
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner SR5 4WD
    Bump I was driving home today and while I was at a stop light all of a sudden my truck started running rough and lost a lot of power. So I pulled up to my friends to check and see what happened so I closed the hood and the truck started right up and was running fine so I drove home. I just went to go to a friends house and now the truck is running rough again with the check engine light on. I just bought this truck last week so I am sure it needs plugs but hopefully its not a coil pack. No where around here does free check engine light reads so I will have to try to find someone that has a code reader. What else would you guys think might be the problem?

Products Discussed in

To Top