LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What's your dash rattle?

Old 01-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
HuckleSmothered is on a distinguished road
HuckleSmothered's Tacoma Gallery
What's your dash rattle?

Nearly every vehicle older than the bottle of ketchup I still have in the back of my fridge seems to have a dash rattle. It appears several on this forum have posted about help with one, as well.

I thought it would be nice to get a collection going here. Specifically;

What caused your dash rattle and what did you do about it?

(No requests for help here, just past solutions, please)
(Mostly interested in 1st Gen Tacomas, each type should have their own thread.)
Old 01-05-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. C
Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
My dash doesn't rattle yet, but my damn drivers door 'creeks' when I hit bumps.. Something with the rubber seals I think.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
no clue what causes it. Mine is so minor I don't even notice it anymore.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
Alpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Ruben
Alpha Q Up's Tacoma Gallery
Mine started to rattle after I did the LED dash mod. I am missing a screw.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
TacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud ofTacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud ofTacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud ofTacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud ofTacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud ofTacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud ofTacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud ofTacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud ofTacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud of
TacoSurf4x4's Tacoma Gallery
mine sounds like theres a bobcat fighting a mongoose in my engine bay... just turn the radio up!!! hahaha
Old 01-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
NegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NegroTundra's Tacoma Gallery
The passenger side of my dash rattles, sounds as if coming from in front of (towards windshield) of airbag. I shoved a solid piece of paper towel in between the dash and the pillar. Fixed it.

I also have the creak on my driver door. Never investigated, but maybe I'll apply some armor-all to the gasket.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
I don't hear most of the rattles and squeaks that I've been told my Tacoma makes, hearing impaired ftw, but did the paper thing on my old S10.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
The only rattle my truck has is my cheap ass navigation windshield mount. Otherwise it's like a library driving around.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
Irish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
Irish020's Tacoma Gallery
Rattle...

I have this strange humming, vibrating noise on cold winter days below 30 degrees that sounds like it is coming from the front right of the vehicle....it goes away as soon as it warms up......
Old 01-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #10
180K98TACOMA is on a distinguished road
180K98TACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
The whole damn thing it's seems lately!!! Just put a new set of GY Wrangler Authority's on it! But before that it was just the the clear plastic over the speedometer etc and the massive amounts of change in the ashtray... paper fixed the plastic, and a homeless guy took care of the change...
Old 01-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #11
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Between my center console and driver's seat squeaking, I can't hear if my dash is rattling.

Every once in awhile, accelerating hard in 3rd gear (only), I'll hear a rattle from what sounds like behind the glove box.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #12
misterdmac is on a distinguished road

Name: Doostin
misterdmac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish020 View Post
I have this strange humming, vibrating noise on cold winter days below 30 degrees that sounds like it is coming from the front right of the vehicle....it goes away as soon as it warms up......
I get a dash rattle on cold days, sounds like maybe it's behind the speedo. Which would make sense, I think, because when I swapped my clutch out, I broke the female threaded mount that connects the speedo cable to the tranny. It's JB'd together, but that was in the summer so I'm not sure it's related.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:11 PM   #13
TBrown is on a distinguished road

Army: Sapper
TBrown's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Between my center console and driver's seat squeaking, I can't hear if my dash is rattling.

Every once in awhile, accelerating hard in 3rd gear (only), I'll hear a rattle from what sounds like behind the glove box.
Madjik_Man, did you ever figure out that squeak between the center console and driver's seat? I think I have the same noise...
Old 03-18-2014, 12:36 PM   #14
I like bright things.
thunderone is on a distinguished road

thunderone's Tacoma Gallery
1/4 inch fuel line cut to length shoved in between the dash and windshield along almost the entire length of the windshield. Helps a lot. Dash rattle is sometimes still there, but I think it's something else. Pretty much every plastic door/trim piece rattles. I also get this weird rattle somewhere in the passenger floorboard/lower vent area when I'm at highway speeds. Still have no clue what it is.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:39 PM   #15
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderone View Post
1/4 inch fuel line cut to length shoved in between the dash and windshield along almost the entire length of the windshield. Helps a lot. Dash rattle is sometimes still there, but I think it's something else. Pretty much every plastic door/trim piece rattles. I also get this weird rattle somewhere in the passenger floorboard/lower vent area when I'm at highway speeds. Still have no clue what it is.
I should do this. If I push on the dash up by the windshield, my rattle goes away. I can hardly hear it now since I put the headers and exhaust on so I guess I don't care too much. I like this idea though!
Old 03-25-2014, 08:56 PM   #16
Thatchair is on a distinguished road
Thatchair's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSurf4x4 View Post
mine sounds like theres a bobcat fighting a mongoose in my engine bay... just turn the radio up!!! hahaha
I have the same sound! Haha I just turn the radio up to!
Old 03-25-2014, 09:02 PM   #17
BudMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBudMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBudMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBudMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBudMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBudMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBudMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBudMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBudMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBudMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBudMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BudMan's Tacoma Gallery
My 2002 dash started rattling/squeaking pretty bad. Drove me nuts. A little pressure on the passenger airbag was the only thing that fixed, besides the volume nob.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:06 AM   #18
dispatch55126 is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
dispatch55126's Tacoma Gallery
As others have said, shoving something between the dash and windshield helps. As far as door squeaks, spray some silicone on the black plastic door stop (the lever/hinge thingy between the upper and lower hinges).
Old 03-26-2014, 07:12 AM   #19
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBrown View Post
Madjik_Man, did you ever figure out that squeak between the center console and driver's seat? I think I have the same noise...
Nope. But I've since put in new seats and center console so the noise is gone.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:15 AM   #20
Lone Star Club
whahahajr has much to be proud ofwhahahajr has much to be proud ofwhahahajr has much to be proud ofwhahahajr has much to be proud ofwhahahajr has much to be proud ofwhahahajr has much to be proud ofwhahahajr has much to be proud ofwhahahajr has much to be proud ofwhahahajr has much to be proud of

Name: jimbob
whahahajr's Tacoma Gallery
Mine use to rattle until I realized my radio did not have the brackets or screws holding it in.