1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Liability Only: When did you guys make the switch

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by asus611, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Jan 6, 2012 at 9:00 AM
    asus611

asus611 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    03 Double Cab Prerunner
    So, my annual insurance renewal is coming up for my truck. I'm using a company called Wawanesa, which IMO has pretty good rates if you live in California or Oregon. Anyway, I'm currently at full coverage, with maximum liability, since I own my home.

My annual premiums are only $909 per year, which is the lowest I could get while shopping around.

I did call, and doing liability only (no comprehensive or collision) would knock that premium down to $618 per year.

My question for you guys is, how did / will you make the decision to "downgrade" your coverage? My truck is turning 9 years old next month and sitting at around 115,000 miles. I have no plans to get rid of her, and I'm hoping she can last another 10 years for me. I'm actually planning on driving her until she explodes at 500,000 miles leaving my stranded on the freeway. I'm just kind of torn between paying the higher premiums for a car that is approaching the 10 year mark. My "commute" is only 6 miles one way, and I have a secondary weekend fun car.

What you guys think/do?

2. Jan 6, 2012 at 11:07 AM
    fsusteve

fsusteve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Naples, Fla
    I drop comp when the value of the vehicle is less than the annual cost of comp ins.

3. Jan 6, 2012 at 11:10 AM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    I pay $710 annually for full comprehension.

State Farm

4. Jan 6, 2012 at 11:23 AM
    Zoot

Zoot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC/SB TRD O/R 4X4
    Toyota bed mat, Wet Okole's F&R, Window Tint, custom trail-stripes, Cooper A/T3 265/75R16, MedlinAround interior LEDs, Leer 100r, aFe air filter, K&n cabin filter
    My beater costs me 30$ a month for liability..

5. Jan 6, 2012 at 11:25 AM
    bobg03

bobg03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Ct
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Wheels, Bull Bar, Tonneau Cover
    When the vehicle is 6 years old or older and/or has a value of less than 6K, I drop collision. I typically leave fire/theft/glass on a vehicle as long as said vehicle has any value. These are relatively inexpensive.

6. Jan 6, 2012 at 11:48 AM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    well for what its worth this is what happened to me. I bought a new 2000 mustang gt and loved the car, my 3rd stang also. I lived in chicago but I worked in china, 3 weeks there and one week home, and i had garage parking, so by the summer of 2008 I had only 48,000 miles on her and when the big crash hit, and credit died, my job died also
    so to save a few bucks I only had basic coverage, ( I did not worry about anyone stealing it because it was a 5 speed ( kids today dont know what they are missing)
    well that spring a non-citizen who was higher the hell, fake id girlfriends big ole tank who reported it stolen when she found out, and no insurance destroyed my car, the 10,000 dollars in mods and my good southern nature, only the full length subframe connectors saved it from a total loss. he t boned me through a stop sign. and the police were no help, they dont respond unless someone is dead. so dont have a wreck here!
    If you love and plan on keeping it keep the coverage.

7. Jan 6, 2012 at 6:55 PM
    meatman

meatman I deal with dead animals

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Murphy N.C.
    Vehicle:
    (built) 04 Tacoma SR5 4x4 and 01 TRD 4x4 DD
    Had just liability from the start untill this month when my daughter moved away (had her on my policy) dropped her and mput full coverage on my truck for yje same ammount as before. I feel alot better about it and the peace of mind for me is worth alot

8. Jan 6, 2012 at 7:01 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    It's a gamble. But your only talking less the $300 a year, I wouldn't imagine it's worth it.

9. Jan 6, 2012 at 7:05 PM
    jackhart

jackhart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB
    i'd keep the full coverage "if" you can afford it. i'd rather pay a few hundred per year for the ten years "just in case", than have to try to cough up thousands at one time if my truck got wrecked.

10. Jan 6, 2012 at 7:07 PM
    TurfTaco

TurfTaco Is there a long john silvers on the island?

Member:
    URE
    Vehicle:
    07 Deer Collector
    285/75-16 BFG KM1's, AVS vent visors, AVS hood shield, pioneer avic F900BT, pac steering wheel control adapter, Boyo rearview camera, pac ipod interface, tinted windows, Toytec 1.5 AAL, Bistein 5100s (front set to .85) Eibach coils, Black headlights, grillcraft black billet insert, N-fab light bar, 4 Hella FF700 lights & color matched grille, Sockmonkey bedside decals. 16x8 MT sidebiters, Weathertechs, Fabtech spare carrier.
    From Clark Howard:
    "Very often I'm asked when is the right time to drop comprehensive and collision coverage on an old vehicle. The general rule is when the annual cost of comp and collision exceeds 10% of your vehicle's value, that's the time to dump it and just have liability coverage. You can determine your vehicle's value at Edmunds.com, KBB.com and NADA.com.
    So let's take a simple example. Say your vehicle is worth $4,000. If you're paying anything more than $400 annually (that's 10% of $4,000) for comp and collision, it no longer makes any financial sense. One notable exception to this rule: If there's no way you could financially cover the loss of your vehicle, forget the math and keep paying for comp and collision.
    Finally, you should always opt for a $1,000 deductible for the best savings on your policy. At that level, you'll pay a lower premium and won't be tempted to file any small piddling claims."

11. Jan 6, 2012 at 7:16 PM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    I keep comp on my 96 with 260,000 miles. Damn deer crazy round here!

12. Jan 6, 2012 at 7:25 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    hell, when i sold the 99 and got the 96 i switched to full coverage. if im taking the truck out all of the time to more dangerous situations like driving through snowy mountains to go snowboarding and going off roading i want it covered in case i fuck it up. i wasnt worried about full coverage on my street truck because it never left the pavement, but if i slide off the highway or roll the truck i dont want to be stuck without a vehicle.

13. Jan 6, 2012 at 7:31 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    full coverage on anything I own..The only exception was my old 89 4runner that I bought for $40..lol

14. Jan 6, 2012 at 11:06 PM
    magikbean562

magikbean562 once flirted with danger, danger got clingy

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    socal
    Vehicle:
    pinto
    33" mudders
    this^. 3 of my trucks have full coverage and the shit beater has liability only. i pay like 240 a month and thats with 2 drivers on all cars.

15. Jan 6, 2012 at 11:23 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    Full coverage on all my vehicles. I just dont want to pay out of pocket when I have a totaled truck/car when someone blows a stop light, or I hit some black ice and roll the truck or something along those lines. Then instead of saving $50 a month, I'm out $10k with no way to get around. :eek:

16. Jan 7, 2012 at 4:22 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Ditto- Won't put me back into the same vehicle but it'll help me get into something.

17. Jan 7, 2012 at 6:45 AM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    If you have another vehicle, you can register you truck as a recreational vehicle (weekend driver) and keep full coverage on the cheep.

18. Jan 7, 2012 at 7:04 AM
    TRDguyKC

TRDguyKC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    This is what I tell people when I get asked. There is no perfect time for everyone. As this says in red, if you cannot afford the loss of the vehicle at any given time, you should not drop coverage.

Every person has a different financial picture and dropping coverage is not the right thing to do for every person.

-Employee of USAA for 6 years and this is just my opinion.

19. Jan 7, 2012 at 8:06 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    First thing that will happen as soon as you drop collission a person with out insurance will hit ya, murphy's law!

20. Jan 7, 2012 at 3:41 PM
    asus611

asus611 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    03 Double Cab Prerunner
    Thanks for the responses fellas. I think I'm going to keep my full coverage. I'm already going cheap by doing liability only on the weekend car LOL.

Was talking about this with my coworker, her brother switched to liability only, and yes, within 2 weeks he got T-boned in an intersection by someone with no insurance.

So.... I figure since I'm already tempting fate by asking for the collective wisdom of TW, I may as not push it and keep full coverage LOL

Products Discussed in

To Top