Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Is my head gasket blown?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #1
moustache ride is on a distinguished road
moustache ride's Tacoma Gallery
Is my head gasket blown?

I've got a 97 3.4. It's loosing coolant and it seems to be getting worse. I've added almost 7 liters in the last 3 months.
I can smell coolant in the cab while driving so I suspected a bad heater core, but the floorboards are bone dry. Theres no visible leaks. oil looks fine.
I pulled the codes and its not missing (only code was intake air temp circuit). It dose idle rough on start up for a few seconds then its fine, and some white smoke as well.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
When's the last time the water pump and timing belt were replaced?
Old 01-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
misterdmac is on a distinguished road

Name: Doostin
misterdmac's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd, think I may be in the same boat.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
When's the last time the water pump and timing belt were replaced?

I only bought the truck a year ago and the guy said it had been done not too long ago but I'm not entirely sure. Is there a way that I can check it?
Old 01-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by moustache ride View Post
I only bought the truck a year ago and the guy said it had been done not too long ago but I'm not entirely sure. Is there a way that I can check it?
Check to see where the coolant is leaking from. If it is dripping near and under your alternator then its your water pump. Most common symptons of coolant leaking is your water pump.

Nice truck btw! And welcome to TW from here in Nelson BC!
Old 01-06-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr97tacoma View Post
Check to see where the coolant is leaking from. If it is dripping near and under your alternator then its your water pump. Most common symptons of coolant leaking is your water pump.

Nice truck btw! And welcome to TW from here in Nelson BC!
^^this. My bet is the water pump is leaking, very common problem.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #7
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yes, mostly likely you'll find that the frame that goes under the engine will have a wet spot on the right if your looking from the front.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
theres no visible leakage or wet spots anywhere near the water pump and after the truck sits for a while theres no coolant dripping anywhere under what so ever.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #9
braaap

ok is it white smoke you're seeing or is it just the normal condensation that is always there on cold days?
Old 01-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #10
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
If you had a blown HG coolant in the oil would be pretty obvious, and you would be getting some degree of white smoke out of the exhaust.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #11
Drunk Canadian

You would also get exhaust bubbles in your coolant rez
Old 01-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #12
OK so I just went out and started it up and it looks more like white smoke to me. it lingers in the air for a bit instead of dissipating right away like steam, and I managed to make a pretty big cloud from revving the engine. I hit the throttle a bunch of times while watching the coolant in the top of the rad and managed to squirt coolant right out of the rad. Would this happen normally or would that only be caused by pressure build up in the system from the compression in the cylinder backing up though the failed gasket? At this point I'm thinking I'll have to just take it to a shop.

Also I would have to wait for the funds to be able to pay for a HG job. Is there anything bad about putting in some stop-leak or some sort of product to buy me some time while I build up the funds?
Old 01-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #13
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
Stop leak--NOT GOOD. Still think it is water pump or hose. Course BLACK PEPPER will stop minor leaks and has NO chemicals that will do damage.
Old trick-CHEAP and it works.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #14
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
While reving the engine--the water pump is pumping more fluid-pump is on the cam.
That is normal. Any leakes under the truck??? After parking overnight?
Old 01-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #15
no leaks under. Theres snow on the ground here so it would be easily noticeable if there was.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #16
braaap

If you got it to shoot coolant out I think it is probably blown. A shop could tell you for sure though.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #17
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
someone said white smoke?

Old 01-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #18
Thats what it looks like.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #19
braaap

How many miles are on it and has it ever been overheated?
Old 01-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #20
Drunk Canadian

I overheated my engine but luckily it didnt blow the head gasket

Products Discussed in this Thread