Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

I want to learn how to weld

Old 01-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
Taco Roja
Ohbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud of

Navy: 1987-1997
Name: Brian
Ohbrian's Tacoma Gallery
I want to learn how to weld

I've been a software engineer for so long it feels really good to go do some manly man stuff and I've been having a blast doing things to this truck since I bought it. I'm interested in learning how to weld. I know there are probably eleventy billion different types of welding, so what's the most common type used for automotive purposes, and what would it cost me to get started in this?

Thanks,
Old 01-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Your local Comunity College should offer basic welding classes for a couple hundred bucks. You might want to look into that also.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:02 AM   #3
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
If you take a class at a C/College they will most likey certify you, makeing it a plus for employment as a welder.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
lumpy is on a distinguished road
lumpy's Tacoma Gallery
some cc's offer evening hobbyist welding courses. cheaper than a full time course and lets you get your feet wet in the trade!

I am currently enrolled in a first year welding program and there a three I/T guys in my class lol seems to be a common jump
Old 01-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
Taco Roja
Ohbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud of

Navy: 1987-1997
Name: Brian
Ohbrian's Tacoma Gallery
Ah I didn't even think of community college. I'm not looking to change careers no friggin way. Just another hobby skill.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #6
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
My cousin taught himself how to weld from books and people. Now he welds on the oil rigs in north dakota for $55 an hour.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
Its not that hard, (I did it!) one side of my family had a steel fab. business. I don't know if they have a National Welders near you but that would be a start, and the C.C. my uncle would say its a skill so it take practice. And you could have fun like i did and start with the old stick welders.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #8
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
I picked up a little Lincoln 140 from a friend for really cheap. I think the same thing at home depot is like 600. I have been teaching myself, and doing a ton of reading. I also have a full fabrication shop at my work that has 5 guys that are true professionals. I like picking their brain and hanging out over there. Theres going to be the guys that say dont bother with a 120v machine, but for everything I do, and most what everyone does in their garage a 120 machine is all you will ever need. Plus not a lot of garages are set up to run 220v. Good luck and have fun.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
Ngotoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNgotoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNgotoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNgotoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNgotoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNgotoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNgotoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNgotoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNgotoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNgotoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNgotoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Ngotoma's Tacoma Gallery
Pick up a evening class at the local community college and abuse their equipment as you learn. Also there are a bunch of youtube videos that are really informative, if you wanna go that route. When you are comfortable pick up a small mig welder and go from there. Usually your local craigslist has them cheap, just wait and they pop up.

Have fun and be safe
Old 01-07-2012, 01:18 PM   #10
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
i would say learn ARC welding first. it's the true roots welding and it's a lot of fun. i won't go as far to say "anyone" can MIG weld, but it's not very difficult and once you can ARC weld, you can MIG weld, easy. if you can learn how to set your amps, select the right rod for the metal and causally strike up and arc without it sticking to the metal and then j-weave (how i do it) on down the seam to make a pretty bead, youre unstoppable. . . . that way if you are in a shop and need to weld and that guys dads old Lincoln ARC welder that's been sitting in the corner is just collecting dust, you can fire it right up and do the job. no need for gas, and wires.

but that's just my opinion. i have to do a lot of "custom fab" i'll call it, for work. aka, cut and weld up a bunch of angle iron for different shit, and all we have is an ARC welder. in high school the MIG welder was what the girls used

yes i went to a high school that rural
Old 01-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #11
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
one more thing, get some good protection garments and set aside some old cloths you dont mind hole in, and get that protection because the thing you will shower with sparks is your BALLS!
Old 01-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #12
washed in the blood and wrapped in camoflauge!
Prerunner2511 has much to be proud ofPrerunner2511 has much to be proud ofPrerunner2511 has much to be proud ofPrerunner2511 has much to be proud ofPrerunner2511 has much to be proud ofPrerunner2511 has much to be proud ofPrerunner2511 has much to be proud ofPrerunner2511 has much to be proud ofPrerunner2511 has much to be proud of

Name: A.J.
Prerunner2511's Tacoma Gallery
I learned with a torch and a copper wire lol but MIG is pretty easy to learn go with that
Old 01-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #13
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
I also want to learn how to weld. I believe I will get a millermatic 211 and teach myself watching videos and reading books etc. Then later go to a class.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #14
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertgeejr1 View Post
one more thing, get some good protection garments and set aside some old cloths you dont mind hole in, and get that protection because the thing you will shower with sparks is your BALLS!
yeah the classic "finish welding, smile at your accomplishment. . . . HOLY SHIT SOMETHING IS BURNING THE TOP OF MY FOOT!!" as a mini chunk of metal slowly works it's way through your tennis shoe. been there, done that.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:17 AM   #15
washed in the blood and wrapped in camoflauge!
Prerunner2511 has much to be proud ofPrerunner2511 has much to be proud ofPrerunner2511 has much to be proud ofPrerunner2511 has much to be proud ofPrerunner2511 has much to be proud ofPrerunner2511 has much to be proud ofPrerunner2511 has much to be proud ofPrerunner2511 has much to be proud ofPrerunner2511 has much to be proud of

Name: A.J.
Prerunner2511's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Taco 22 View Post
I also want to learn how to weld. I believe I will get a millermatic 211 and teach myself watching videos and reading books etc. Then later go to a class.

Trust me man, millers are great dont get me wrong, I've used them and never had problems, but if i was you i'd spend the extra money and get a Lincoln Electric. I love everyone of them that ive used. Quality speaks for itself

I do understand the cost factor all too well and if your just starting and want a good welder thats not going to drain your wallet to bad, go to harbor freight and get a hobart. Ive seen them on sale for around $275 but they usually go everyday for around $350. My buddy has a hobart and he loves it for little fabrication work and what not. hope i could help! AJ
Old 01-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #16
takamineman is on a distinguished road
Name: greg
takamineman's Tacoma Gallery
My first choice would be a good class at a Community College...because it would be more structured and not leave out details that may be important eventually. After that, ask around the auto shops around your town and you can probably find someone that could help you get started. After that, you tube has alot of how to videos.