Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

01-04 headlight help

Old 01-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
EddieC will become famous soon enoughEddieC will become famous soon enough
Name: Eddie
EddieC's Tacoma Gallery
01-04 headlight help

Hello again guys. Its been a long time since I've posted here... been busy with life =)

Well, the fiancee crashed the truck, but it wasn't her fault, so we were able to have the other insurance company pay for the damages. We got a new bumper, grill, hood, right side fender, right headlight, right corner light, and left corner light. The truck looks great after the repairs, and the whole front end looks new. My only issue is that the only thing they didn't replace on the front was the drivers side headlight. I have one super bright brand new light, and one 10 year old fogged scratched up headlight. I tried the lens polish, and it has made it better, but still not even close to matching. I have decided to replace the driver side headlight. But I want to ensure that I get an OEM replacement part, or an aftermarket part that is made so well, that one couldn't tell the difference

So, on to the actual question...

Do you know which manufacturer makes the OEM headlights for toyota? Has anyone had any luck with a good, cheap, replacement? Where did you source yours?

I'm sorry if this is a repeat question... I only have my phone for internet ATM, and had no luck with the forum search.

Thanks!
Eddie
Old 01-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
EddieC's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for your reply. I was thinking ebay earlier, but it seems to be filled with a whole bunch of poor quality chinese products (like usual). A few sellers name brands such as TYC... does anyone know what the OEM brand is?
Old 01-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
rockauto.com is another great resource
Old 01-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
EddieC's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Madjik. Haven't heard of that site before, ill be sure to check that out tonight!
Old 01-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #6
EddieC's Tacoma Gallery
Just got back from rockauto.com and can say WOW! Thanks for the link. The site looks good and getting their more expensive headlamp shipped to my door will cost $41. Once again, the part manufacturer is TYC. Does anyone have experience with their parts?

Thanks again for the help guys.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:38 AM   #7
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieC View Post
Just got back from rockauto.com and can say WOW! Thanks for the link. The site looks good and getting their more expensive headlamp shipped to my door will cost $41. Once again, the part manufacturer is TYC. Does anyone have experience with their parts?

Thanks again for the help guys.
My friend owns an auto shop in town and my best friend is the shop manager. They almost always exclusively order from rockauto if the customer is looking for cheaper alternative. Rockauto's "economy line" is a great value. My two friends say they have never had any complaint or issue with any of the products they have order.

My headlamp assemblies are yellow/hazed again (I restored them without a clear coat finish) and I'm fed up with trying to restore. For the price of the TYC headlamps I can get brand new assemblies for the price of two restoration kits. My friend told me that he has used TYC headlamp assemblies for another client's Tacoma before and he says they are great.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #8
Hoyle is a glorious beacon of lightHoyle is a glorious beacon of lightHoyle is a glorious beacon of lightHoyle is a glorious beacon of lightHoyle is a glorious beacon of light

Air Force: Commander & Chief
Hoyle's Tacoma Gallery
This could be your lucky day!

I have an OEM light in my Garage, I replaced both my Left & Right and they sent me an extra headlight... I don't think I'll ever use it.. Let me check what side it is... it's the LH (Drivers Side) .. made by TYC .. nice headlights...I got them off eBay.. I don't think I'll ever use it... it's yours FREE, pay shipping...
Old 01-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyle View Post

I have an OEM light in my Garage, I replaced both my Left & Right and they sent me an extra headlight... I don't think I'll ever use it.. Let me check what side it is... it's the LH (Drivers Side) .. made by TYC .. nice headlights...I got them off eBay.. I don't think I'll ever use it... it's yours FREE, pay shipping...
TW is such an awesome place
Old 01-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #10
..Slingin' up mud and we're scarying off bunnies..
186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Charles
186000mps's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the info guys.
Just checked out RockAuto and the TYC headlamp assemblies are only $28.99 ea. I can't imagine what Toyota would want for these.
My headlamps are yellowed again after I did the polishing thing this summer.
If I opt to do a HID retro, I'll definitely pick up a pair of these.
Thanks for the heads up.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #11
Quast is on a distinguished road

Name: Dustin
Quast's Tacoma Gallery
rockauto ftw. this sit is amazing i bought so much from this site and have spent over half of what it would cost at any other parts store.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #12
EddieC's Tacoma Gallery
WOW! Thanks for the information everyone. I wasn't expecting to get this much of a response! Rockauto.com seems like a really legit spot. Also, did a bunch of research on TYC.. Their parent company is Genera, who states (on their website home page) that they are an OES for Toyota.

Quote:
TYC/Genera is a current Original Equipment supplier to the following customers:
Ford
International Truck & Engine (a Navistar Company)
Suzuki
Daimler Truck
Toyota Motor Sales
A lot of people also say that TYC is the only other brand that they would use other than OEM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyle View Post

OH MAN!!! If only I had waited one more day. Thank you so much for the offer, but please pass it along to the next soul in need.

After the support I found for the TYC products and customer reviews. I went to rockauto.com (yesterday) and bought BOTH the left and right headlights. Price for both delivered to my door was around $70. I just bought both because I wanted to be sure that they were identical, with the same beam pattern. The only gripe that I have heard about the TYC is that the beam pattern is different than stock, but not a bad pattern. I figured at that price, I should be able to sell my Brand new stock OEM headlight (that will have been installed for a total of 10 days) on here or on EBAY and be able to make my money back, and maybe some more.