1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

01-04 headlight help

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by EddieC, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Jan 7, 2012 at 6:54 PM
    EddieC

EddieC [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    K-town Hollywood CA
    Vehicle:
    02 2.7 4cyl reg cab
    magnaflow exhaust
    Hello again guys. Its been a long time since I've posted here... been busy with life =)

Well, the fiancee crashed the truck, but it wasn't her fault, so we were able to have the other insurance company pay for the damages. We got a new bumper, grill, hood, right side fender, right headlight, right corner light, and left corner light. The truck looks great after the repairs, and the whole front end looks new. My only issue is that the only thing they didn't replace on the front was the drivers side headlight. I have one super bright brand new light, and one 10 year old fogged scratched up headlight. I tried the lens polish, and it has made it better, but still not even close to matching. I have decided to replace the driver side headlight. But I want to ensure that I get an OEM replacement part, or an aftermarket part that is made so well, that one couldn't tell the difference

So, on to the actual question...

Do you know which manufacturer makes the OEM headlights for toyota? Has anyone had any luck with a good, cheap, replacement? Where did you source yours?

I'm sorry if this is a repeat question... I only have my phone for internet ATM, and had no luck with the forum search.

Thanks!
    Eddie

2. Jan 7, 2012 at 6:59 PM
    Oat

Oat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2001 Prerunner
    Gibson Exhaust, Painted factory steel wheels, Chrome wheel caps, K&N Air intake, Tint, Regular Bilstein (yellow/blue) all around, Leveling spacer kit upfront, Partially de-badged, Westin Bullbar with skidplate, White, Double Cab Prerunner SR5
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Jan 7, 2012 at 7:17 PM
    EddieC

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    K-town Hollywood CA
    Vehicle:
    02 2.7 4cyl reg cab
    magnaflow exhaust
    Thanks for your reply. I was thinking ebay earlier, but it seems to be filled with a whole bunch of poor quality chinese products (like usual). A few sellers name brands such as TYC... does anyone know what the OEM brand is?

4. Jan 7, 2012 at 7:40 PM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
  5. Jan 7, 2012 at 10:15 PM
    EddieC

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    K-town Hollywood CA
    Vehicle:
    02 2.7 4cyl reg cab
    magnaflow exhaust
    Thanks Madjik. Haven't heard of that site before, ill be sure to check that out tonight!

6. Jan 7, 2012 at 10:44 PM
    EddieC

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    K-town Hollywood CA
    Vehicle:
    02 2.7 4cyl reg cab
    magnaflow exhaust
    Just got back from rockauto.com and can say WOW! Thanks for the link. The site looks good and getting their more expensive headlamp shipped to my door will cost $41. Once again, the part manufacturer is TYC. Does anyone have experience with their parts?

Thanks again for the help guys.

7. Jan 8, 2012 at 7:38 AM
    Madjik_Man

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    My friend owns an auto shop in town and my best friend is the shop manager. They almost always exclusively order from rockauto if the customer is looking for cheaper alternative. Rockauto's "economy line" is a great value. My two friends say they have never had any complaint or issue with any of the products they have order.

My headlamp assemblies are yellow/hazed again (I restored them without a clear coat finish) and I'm fed up with trying to restore. For the price of the TYC headlamps I can get brand new assemblies for the price of two restoration kits. My friend told me that he has used TYC headlamp assemblies for another client's Tacoma before and he says they are great.

8. Jan 8, 2012 at 10:00 AM
    Hoyle

Hoyle Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cookeville TN.
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB 4x4 Black
    A lot of stuff.
    This could be your lucky day!

I have an OEM light in my Garage, I replaced both my Left & Right and they sent me an extra headlight... I don't think I'll ever use it.. Let me check what side it is... it's the LH (Drivers Side) .. made by TYC .. nice headlights...I got them off eBay.. I don't think I'll ever use it... it's yours FREE, pay shipping...

9. Jan 8, 2012 at 10:48 AM
    Madjik_Man

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    TW is such an awesome place

10. Jan 8, 2012 at 11:08 AM
    186000mps

186000mps ..Slingin' up mud and we're scarying off bunnies..

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma V6 4WD
    Bilstein 5100's, Toytec front adjustable coilover kit, Exporear leafs, Fox resi rears, Slotted & Drilled front rotors, 33x12.50 BFG ATs on Outlaw II 15 x 10s, Bushwacker cutout flares, K&N cold air intake with aluminum sheathing water baffles, ARB bumper with XD9000 winch with wireless remote, IPF 900XS lights, Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, Rhino bed liner, UWS gullwing toolbox with tools and recovery gear. 48" Hi-Lift Jack secured under toolbox.
    Thanks for all the info guys.
    Just checked out RockAuto and the TYC headlamp assemblies are only $28.99 ea. I can't imagine what Toyota would want for these.
    My headlamps are yellowed again after I did the polishing thing this summer.
    If I opt to do a HID retro, I'll definitely pick up a pair of these.
    Thanks for the heads up.

11. Jan 8, 2012 at 2:53 PM
    Quast

Quast Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Mission, BC
    Vehicle:
    03 toyota tacoma 3.4L
    3'' OME lift, Deck plate mod, spidertrax wheel spacers, 12'' alpine type S sub.
    rockauto ftw. this sit is amazing i bought so much from this site and have spent over half of what it would cost at any other parts store.

12. Jan 9, 2012 at 12:16 PM
    EddieC

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    K-town Hollywood CA
    Vehicle:
    02 2.7 4cyl reg cab
    magnaflow exhaust
    WOW! Thanks for the information everyone. I wasn't expecting to get this much of a response! Rockauto.com seems like a really legit spot. Also, did a bunch of research on TYC.. Their parent company is Genera, who states (on their website home page) that they are an OES for Toyota.

A lot of people also say that TYC is the only other brand that they would use other than OEM.

OH MAN!!! If only I had waited one more day. Thank you so much for the offer, but please pass it along to the next soul in need.

After the support I found for the TYC products and customer reviews. I went to rockauto.com (yesterday) and bought BOTH the left and right headlights. Price for both delivered to my door was around $70. I just bought both because I wanted to be sure that they were identical, with the same beam pattern. The only gripe that I have heard about the TYC is that the beam pattern is different than stock, but not a bad pattern. I figured at that price, I should be able to sell my Brand new stock OEM headlight (that will have been installed for a total of 10 days) on here or on EBAY and be able to make my money back, and maybe some more.

Products Discussed in

To Top