Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Spark plugs

Old 01-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
Stubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Stubbs95tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Spark plugs

I searched but didn't find a write up on how to change the spark plugs on a 1st gen 3.4l v6
help anyone?
Old 01-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
unbolt the coils, pop them off the plugs, then remove with a spark plug socket.

passenger side requires removal of the intake tube. Its really easy.

make sure you put JUST A DAB of antisieze on the threads of the new plugs before install.

Also get the plugs at the dealer, they should be denso brand.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
Stubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
unbolt the coils, pop them off the plugs, then remove with a spark plug socket.

passenger side requires removal of the intake tube. Its really easy.

make sure you put JUST A DAB of antisieze on the threads of the new plugs before install.

Also get the plugs at the dealer, they should be denso brand.
Any reason they have to be that brand?
Old 01-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbs95tacoma View Post
the dual electrode ones from the dealer have been proven to work the best. They just happen to be that brand I think.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Its not hard. Here is a vid for a 4 runner, but same engine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHdoyr91aMQ
Old 01-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
braaap

^nice vid

here are the plugs that work
Denso K16TR11

NGK BKR5EKB-11

Gap .043"

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...ark-plugs.html
Old 01-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #7

Thanks guys I'll do this tomorrow and let you know how it goes.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #8
braaap

Quote:
Thanks guys I'll do this tomorrow and let you know how it goes.
Just remember, very important.

Only put a dab of anti seize on the threads of the new plugs. too much will cause problems with removal down the line.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #9
misterdmac is on a distinguished road

Name: Doostin
misterdmac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
For OEM non-iridium plugs, a lot of folks around here like Denso over NGK. I just did the plugs on my 2.7L with Denso's from the dealer, replacing the NGKs that only had 20K miles on them and looked in fine condition. Definitely an improvement.

Also for removal of the plugs, if you don't have a plug socket, just loosen all the way with a 14/16mm whatever it is, then you can pull it out with the boot of the wire. Plug socket is a very worthwhile investment, however, since you should NOT just drop the new ones in, likely messing up the threads or gap.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #10
Lube: It's the key to penetration.
STLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Charlotte VRS: EMT/Driver
Name: Harry
STLharry's Tacoma Gallery
Question...are the NGK platinum plugs ok? I know the owners of Bond Auto Parts (aka the Bond family) in NE and they get me parts at cost, and those were the plugs that he gave me so I put them in. I assume that's fine too?
Old 01-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #11
ludeaddict is on a distinguished road
ludeaddict's Tacoma Gallery
Here i ordered mine form here. Pretty good prices for everything

http://sparkplugs.com/results_app.as...1&AAIA=1375343
Old 01-09-2012, 10:36 PM   #12
Forever learning...
tacopyro is on a distinguished road

tacopyro's Tacoma Gallery
i get mine from E**y or a*****n. i find good deals there. just check to make sure its not the fake kinds.

For Denso, you can check if its genuine using this www.globaldenso.com/PLUG/catalog/asia/pdf/P043.pdf as a guide.
For NGK - http://www.pilotodyssey.com/fakengk.htm
- http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english...ake/index.html

also because of e10, i run 1-2 step colder plugs. so far it hasnt done me bad...

CK
Old 01-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #13
Jereme109 is on a distinguished road
Jereme109's Tacoma Gallery
I'm about to do the same job on my truck. Do I need to change the wireset at the same time? I assume I probably should, but figured it was worth asking.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #14
stmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jimmy
stmpjmpr's Tacoma Gallery
got my plugs from dealership for $3.83 ea. call around price vary from deaerlships but its worth a try.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:21 AM   #16
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
I got mine at the dealer lower price than on line for OEM plugs, and a big difference in price from dealer to dealer.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:35 AM   #17
GMRtaco is a name known to allGMRtaco is a name known to allGMRtaco is a name known to allGMRtaco is a name known to allGMRtaco is a name known to allGMRtaco is a name known to all

GMRtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacopyro View Post
i get mine from E**y or a*****n. i find good deals there. just check to make sure its not the fake kinds.

For Denso, you can check if its genuine using this www.globaldenso.com/PLUG/catalog/asia/pdf/P043.pdf as a guide.
For NGK - http://www.pilotodyssey.com/fakengk.htm
- http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english...ake/index.html

also because of e10, i run 1-2 step colder plugs. so far it hasnt done me bad...

CK
Whoa! Had no idea they made fake ones!

Bought some from ebay a week ago and they are still sitting in my garage. Have to check them of out when I get home later!
Old 01-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #18
misterdmac is on a distinguished road

Name: Doostin
misterdmac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jereme109 View Post
I'm about to do the same job on my truck. Do I need to change the wireset at the same time? I assume I probably should, but figured it was worth asking.
Generally you change the wires at the same time, although they aren't really "matched" except by brand. On my cars and truck I usually change the wires every other plug change. Plug condition is what matters, wires just a conduit. Get a quality set and they should last at least 50k.