Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

1st Gen DC LONG BED?!?!

Old 01-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
SLOsquirrel is on a distinguished road

Name: Scott
SLOsquirrel's Tacoma Gallery
1st Gen DC LONG BED?!?!

I was driving home from Santa Barbara back to SLO (San Luis Obispo) yesterday after spending the weekend down there for a friends birthday.

I was cruising on 101 North when I saw a what I believed was a mythical creature... A 1st gen Double Cab Long Bed !!! After I passed him I realized what I had just seen. So I slowed down and took a couple photos.

I was under the impression that 1st gen Double Cabs came with the short bed only? If I could find one of these with a 5speed manual it would be awesome!

Does anyone have anyother info on these?
Attached Thumbnails
1st Gen DC LONG BED?!?!-1stgendclb.1.jpg   1st Gen DC LONG BED?!?!-1stgendclb.2.jpg  
Old 01-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #2
haddix will become famous soon enoughhaddix will become famous soon enough

haddix's Tacoma Gallery
I've heard of people adding the longer bed themselves but they never came from the factory. I'm so used to the short bed a "long" bed looks weird.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
Dang liberals.
tacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
tacomaprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Notice the bottom of the bed does not line up with the cab of the truck.

I must admit, however, that a double cab long bed first gen would be great
Old 01-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #4

I like the looks of it...

I bought a 2005 Access Cab TRD OR 4x4 6-spd just before christmas.

I liked the 1st gen double cabs, but didn't want an auto or the 5ft bed. The 2nd gen double cab long beds are too big for me.

I think it looks pretty factory. As far as the bed not matching at the very bottom, I don't think Toyota would manufacture an whole new bed for this one purpose.

You think this guy really did this on his own?
Old 01-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
WORD!?!
tacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
tacoman355's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOsquirrel View Post
I like the looks of it...

I bought a 2005 Access Cab TRD OR 4x4 6-spd just before christmas.

I liked the 1st gen double cabs, but didn't want an auto or the 5ft bed. The 2nd gen double cab long beds are too big for me.

I think it looks pretty factory. As far as the bed not matching at the very bottom, I don't think Toyota would manufacture an whole new bed for this one purpose.

You think this guy really did this on his own?
yes
Old 01-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've seen one in person as well. Climbed under and looked like an unaltered frame....I'll dig up the pic.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #8

Already dug it up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
I've seen one in person as well. Climbed under and looked like an unaltered frame....I'll dig up the pic.
I did a little searching before my OP...

I still say this is factory. I've seen people chop frames (i.e. crewcab short bed chevy before it was offered) but extending a frame is something different.

Besides if these were "custom / homemade" the owners would probably have a little pride in ownership and have more done to them. (lift, rims, tires, etc...) or atleast keep them clean and get a campershell that matched.

The one i saw yesterday had front end damage as well. It was mostly to the front right but you can see it on the front left.

Also look at the mirrors. They look larger than the standard ones found on 2001-2004 models
Attached Thumbnails
1st Gen DC LONG BED?!?!-1stgendclb.1.1.jpg   1st Gen DC LONG BED?!?!-1stgendclb.2.2.jpg  
Old 01-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
That looks great^^^Looks factory

if someone had the money, anything is possible if special ordered from toyota.

My buddy had a double cab 4 cyl w/ the manual tranny he ordered special from toyota; just an example .
Old 01-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #10
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yep, those were the ones I was talking about. Truck looked factory.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #11
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I was driving home from Santa Barbara back to SLO (San Luis Obispo) yesterday after spending the weekend down there for a friends birthday.

I was cruising on 101 North when I saw a what I believed was a mythical creature... A 1st gen Double Cab Long Bed !!! After I passed him I realized what I had just seen. So I slowed down and took a couple photos.

I was under the impression that 1st gen Double Cabs came with the short bed only? If I could find one of these with a 5speed manual it would be awesome!

Does anyone have anyother info on these?
I've seen those up here in BC
Old 01-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #12
DarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to behold

Name: Clark
DarkShark's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I still say this is factory. I've seen people chop frames (i.e. crewcab short bed chevy before it was offered) but extending a frame is something different.

Besides if these were "custom / homemade" the owners would probably have a little pride in ownership and have more done to them. (lift, rims, tires, etc...) or atleast keep them clean and get a campershell that matched.

The one i saw yesterday had front end damage as well. It was mostly to the front right but you can see it on the front left.

Also look at the mirrors. They look larger than the standard ones found on 2001-2004 models
I've seen this one a lot it's near me. I was shocked when I first spotted it years ago.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:52 AM   #13
giddy up!
derekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 4C071
Name: Derek
derekp's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to derekp
I don't think you can just toss a regular (long in this case) bed on a double cab and be good. Look at the distance between the wheel well and the front of the bed. There would have to be alterations to the frame. If it was from the factory, what frame do you think they used? I think they used the same frame (or similar for length) for the double cab/short as they do for the extra cab/regular. What do you think?
Old 01-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #14
taco?
MotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: emt/cal fire
Name: Nate
MotoXdoer's Tacoma Gallery
its factory or else he would have had to chop hangers and move axle back i highly doubt. dcab axle is right by cab notice the space this guy has. also mounting points would change as well as frame rail length
Old 01-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #15
jbrandt will become famous soon enough
jbrandt's Tacoma Gallery
holly crap, those things have GOT to be limos!

The DC shortbeds already have a large turning radius, I can't imagine what an additional foot in length would do.

The only way to get that is to extend the frame, doesn't seem like a simple thing to do. Not sure I'd want to mess with the frame.

The Extracabs and DC's use the same frome, with the same wheelbase. That's why they have the short bed for the DC's.

I sometimes hear people complain about the small size/towing capacity of the Tacos. well, if you wanted a big truck with a heavy towing capacity, why'd you get a Taco??
Old 01-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #16
jbrandt will become famous soon enough
jbrandt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Maybe they blew their budget on the frame extension... Also, wheeling and pimping out a truck with chrome 4-links and dual fox shocks for mall crawlin' isn't the only reason people mod their trucks. Most people do for more utilitarian purposes.

The mirrors look to be the same size as my '04, just chrome.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #18
giddy up!
derekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 4C071
Name: Derek
derekp's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to derekp
I like it, I'd drive the hell out of it...especially if it was manual tranny.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #19
MaTt98 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
MaTt98's Tacoma Gallery
I WANT IT!!!
dont care about body damage ill fix it and make it sexy!
i can only imagine how fast this would sell on craigslist!
Old 01-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShark View Post
I've seen this one a lot it's near me. I was shocked when I first spotted it years ago.
Ya I snapped those pics in Grants Pass at a business. I saw it parked there several times when driving through.