Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Deck Plate Mod

Old 01-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
takamineman is on a distinguished road
Name: greg
takamineman's Tacoma Gallery
Deck Plate Mod

I'm considering the Deck Plate Mod for my 03 3.4 and I'm slightly concerned...does this not let too much crap get in to the intake? I know more cool air would be great but I don't want to do anything to tear it up!!
Old 01-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
nope its fine. Ive had mine open for over a year now through some pretty huge downpours with no problems.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
Superior Member
707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
707tothe907's Tacoma Gallery
Your filter will stop anything from going down the intake. Do it. You won't regret it. And if you do, you can always just screw the deckplate in.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Some people install a screen over the deck plate area for "large debris". I didn't and I haven't had any problems.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
A country boy can survive
pyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
pyroskier's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
Some people install a screen over the deck plate area for "large debris". I didn't and I haven't had any problems.
Even though your entire intake system looks like someone wiped their ass with it
Old 01-09-2012, 02:39 PM   #7
okboatie1 is a jewel in the roughokboatie1 is a jewel in the roughokboatie1 is a jewel in the rough

Navy:
Name: Darrell
okboatie1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroskier View Post
Even though your entire intake system looks like someone wiped their ass with it
Not sure what air filter you use, but the stock replacement filters are pretty thick. Doubt anything can get through there except for (obviously) H20, dust, and (the aformentioned) fecal matter
Old 01-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #8
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroskier View Post
My entire engine bay looks like that.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #9
Dirty mall crawler
YotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Forrest
YotaKid62's Tacoma Gallery
Hey in another thread I heard you're supposed to reset your intake computer when you do this by pulling the fuse. Is this gonna mess up the way my truck runs at all? have you guys done this? I just bought a deck plate, now all i need to is put it on, but i don't wanna go and screw up my truck by resetting shit i'm not supposed to.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #10
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
do it. it really cant hurt anything and you cant really screw it up. its easy and worth it IMO
Old 01-17-2012, 08:20 PM   #11
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaKid62 View Post
Hey in another thread I heard you're supposed to reset your intake computer when you do this by pulling the fuse. Is this gonna mess up the way my truck runs at all? have you guys done this? I just bought a deck plate, now all i need to is put it on, but i don't wanna go and screw up my truck by resetting shit i'm not supposed to.
yeah pull the fuse and put it back in. it doesnt screw anything up just makes the computer reset itself
Old 01-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #12
Project.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Project.paradigm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I didn't do this, the ECM will adjust on it's own. My throttle response was better after two days of driving. You can do it if you want, it won't hurt any thing.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #13
Dirty mall crawler
YotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMABOSS View Post
yeah pull the fuse and put it back in. it doesnt screw anything up just makes the computer reset itself
Thanks man, I was just a little leary because the guy in the other thread said it took him a full tank of gas before his pickup was completely normal again.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #14
Dirty mall crawler

Oh, and also, did anyone get any better gas mileage by chance? it doesn't seem like it would help, but i've heard it can.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:59 PM   #15
Firefighter:
Quote:
Thanks man, I was just a little leary because the guy in the other thread said it took him a full tank of gas before his pickup was completely normal again.
make sure you pull the small one. not the big one
Old 01-17-2012, 09:00 PM   #16
Firefighter:
Quote:
Oh, and also, did anyone get any better gas mileage by chance? it doesn't seem like it would help, but i've heard it can.
i didnt really get better gas milage. but it sure sounds good and i can feel a little more power
Old 01-17-2012, 11:20 PM   #17
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
I have noticed no increase in mileage. Just better throttle response and better sound. If anything it has reduced my mileage because I have been liking the noise.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:40 PM   #18
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 707tothe907 View Post
Your filter will stop anything from going down the intake. Do it. You won't regret it. And if you do, you can always just screw the deckplate in.
Bingou
Old 01-20-2012, 09:15 AM   #19
Dirty mall crawler

Has anyone had any problems with snow, like busting through a 3 foot snow drift? And also can air be TOO cold for your intake, say about -40? will that cause any problems? I just wanna be sure before I do this...
Old 01-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #20
Firefighter:
Quote:
Has anyone had any problems with snow, like busting through a 3 foot snow drift? And also can air be TOO cold for your intake, say about -40? will that cause any problems? I just wanna be sure before I do this...
if you have problems with it, just screw the cap back on