I posted this in the tech section too...but figured it could be posted here too.
This is for a 1st gen 2.7 5-speed, but most slave cylinders are pretty much the same so this should work with all of our truck that have a manual transmission.
My clutch has been acting funny lately, no slipping but the pedal will sometimes lose its pressure and stick to the floor and pre-engage; that usually indicates a bad slave cylinder.
So after looking for replacements; they run about $45-$80 for aftermarket and re-manufactured...I didn't even want to see how much OEM Toyota was. So me being the cheap SOB and tinkerer I am, I looked for alternatives.
There are only a few small parts that get replaced, as the unit is just a cylinder with a piston.
A rebuild kit is only $9-$12. The one I ordered was $12 from advanced autoparts by beck/arnley ; it includes the spring. The one for $9 is from autozone and doesn't include the spring. The beck/arnley kit is also made in Japan, which is nice.
So we dive in:
The slave cylinder is located on the drivers side of the tranny (on the 2.7). Its held onto the tranny with two 12mm bolts. And the hardline going into the unit is held on with a 10mm flare-nut fitting.
The use of a flare nut wrench is advised when removing the hard line fitting, because potential corrosion can make removal of the fitting troublesome if you round off the fitting with an open-ended wrench. But here in FL corrosion isn't a problem and I used an open-ended wrench with no problem.
It is also advised to bleed all the brake fluid out of the system before you remove the slave cylinder to avoid making a mess.
Once you have the unit off the truck the first thing you want to do is remove the old dust boot and remove and clean up the push rod because the rod will be re-used.
Next remove the old piston and spring. Your old one may just fall out depending on how worn it is, or you have to us air to blow it out.
Old piston in the unit:
Old (Left) vs. New (right):
Note how the fins on the seals on the old piston are flattened out compared to the fins on the new ones
Now you need to clean up the inside of the unit. It took a lot of paper towels and q-tips to clean mine out. Lots of debris and crap in it.
After cleaning everything up, insert the pushrod into the new dust boot.
Then after slipping the new spring onto the new piston, insert the new piston into the unit spring first. I read that using caliper grease is recommended to lube the seals, but I didn't have any so I just lubed up the seals with some brake fluid.
Now is the hardest part...you have to strech the new dust seal over the lip on the unit while fighting against the spring pressure of the piston...and your hands are probably all greasy so it will be a PITA.
After I got the dust boot on I safety wired the boot on the unit, which probably isn't necessary; but the spool of safety wire was within reaching distance so i did it
Now all you have to do is re-install the unit. The end of the push rod goes in the slot on the arm thats on the tranny. Make sure you snug up the fitting on the hard line. Then all you have to do is bleed the clutch and your done!
For about $12 and an hours work you can save yourself some decent cash.