I own a 2001 Tacoma DC prerunner w/ 140,000 miles on the stock suspension. In a few months I will be moving to Australia with my ride and want to start upgrading it. My first purchase was an ARB bumper (w/o winch), but now I am stuck on the suspension.
I have read up on Wheeler's complete OME setup vs. the OME 881/882 coils and Bilstein 5100 struts on all 4 corners. There are no intentions of ever lowering/lifting the Tacoma, but I am open to it if the price difference isn't much.
Here is what I need out of my reliable Toyota:
- protection from random wildlife that may want to get in front
- front suspension that could support the new bumper
- rear suspension that would allow me to 20 bags of mulch without sagging much, move a loaded U-Haul across the country every 3years or so, etc.
Now the worries:
- would I need air bag (helper bags) in the rear?
- any worries/fixes for the dreaded Tacoma lean?
- are the OME881/882 coils w/ Bilstein 4600/5100 struts enough? Or should I go with the complete OME kit from Wheeler's?
- how durable are the Bilstein 5100? I don't feel like rebuilding struts every year.
Any advice would be awesome. I am going to make this purchase within the next two weeks, and I find myself in front of the computer every trying to do my research.
P.S. Anyone in Houston want to help/show me how to do the work? Beer and pizza is on me if you provide the tools and know-how