1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Check Engine light

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by JT1521, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Jan 10, 2012 at 11:24 AM
    JT1521

JT1521 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    About 6 months ago just about a week before I went in for my State Inspection and Emissions test my Check Engine light came on. This happened about an hour after I got gas. So I figured maybe I did not tighten the gas cap enough. After a day or so of driving the light went off. So a few days later I went in and the truck passed the State Inspection. Well after 6 months the Check Engine light came on again. It has been a few weeks since it came on and the truck is running normally. However the Check Engine light is still on. I know I should go get this checked out but I really am tight for cash at the moment. The truck is a 2003 Toyota Tacoma. It only has 41,000 miles on it. I am not sure why the Check Engine light would come on. I am hoping it is something simple to fix. Is there anything I could do myself to get that light to shut off? Thanks.

2. Jan 10, 2012 at 11:25 AM
    Rusty 06 4x4

Rusty 06 4x4 NBHNC

Member:
    First Name:
    Rusty
    West Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD DCSB
    check engine or maintenance ,, I know auto zone and advance will check that for free.

3. Jan 10, 2012 at 11:29 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Go to an AutoZone/Advance/Pep Boys/Random other car place and get the code read...Let us know what the code is...and then we can give you some more insight.

If you are "tight on cash" then you can't afford a quick fix to make the light go out that leads to your engine eating itself...Can you??

4. Jan 10, 2012 at 11:54 AM
    JT1521

Member:
    I will go to AutoZone tomorrow and get the code. No I wouldn't attempt to fix it myself if it was something complicated lol. My guess it will be.

5. Jan 10, 2012 at 1:25 PM
    JT1521

Member:
    Well I can't afford something major is what I was getting at. Hoping it might cost something like a $150 or less.

6. Jan 10, 2012 at 1:28 PM
    TacoMX

TacoMX TW's Official anti body-lift pundit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    If the motor is running fine, most of the things that can trigger a CEL wont lead to a catastrophic engine failure.

So dont worry too much till you get the codes scanned.

7. Jan 10, 2012 at 1:38 PM
    HIYota

HIYota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angel
    Las Vegas, NV originally Kauai, HI
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver 6 spd TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    Check my build thread...too much to list.
    What state are you in? Just saying cause in Cali Autozone can't loan out a reader legally. This is probably the only state with that law but I figured to point it out incase you are.

8. Jan 10, 2012 at 2:14 PM
    TacoMX

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    so glad I dont live in that shitty ass state...

Florida FTW

9. Jan 10, 2012 at 2:47 PM
    JT1521

Member:
    Well I went to both Advance Auto and AutoZone. Both of them came up with a Heated Oxygen Sensor bank 1 sensor 2 (H02S12) Troubleshooting code is :p0136.

10. Jan 10, 2012 at 3:00 PM
    LGE RAW

LGE RAW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Dothan
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off Road DCSB 6AT Magnetic Gray Metallic
    New Mods in the works.
    That should come in under $150 if you DIY. Should be an easy fix. Make sure you spray the sensor threads with PB Blaster or equivalent and give it a little time to sink in so you don't have a problem removing the sensor. Also, I seem to remember a recommendation to replace the O2 sensors in pairs, but you should be able to find that with a quick search.

11. Jan 10, 2012 at 3:08 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit

Maybe "eating itself" was a bit melodramatic- but one example is that cats are expensive and the motor will run "fine" even while they fall apart. (I know because the cats in my scion failed, trigger the CEL and luckily were covered under warranty...all while the can ran great.)

My point is it's doesn't make sense to use a quick fix (like pull and replace the battery connection) to make teh light go out if money is the issue...It's free to figure out the problem in most areas and then you can make an informed decision to ignore the light or get it fixed.

12. Jan 10, 2012 at 3:16 PM
    JT1521

Member:
    Is it ok to drive with a faulty O2 sensor for awhile? Just curious. Also, can I get a diagram of exactly where the Oxygen Sensor bank 1 sensor 2 (H02S12) is located? Thanks.

13. Jan 10, 2012 at 7:41 PM
    TacoMX

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    Yeah it wont hurt to run it for a while.

There are two O2 sensors on your truck. One in front of the cat, and one down stream of the cat. I think sensor two is the one downstream of the cat.

Its a super easy job, Just unplug the old sensor, unbolt the two nuts holding the sensor on, and re-install.

PB blaster will be your friend like someone else mentioned. And new stainless nuts from the hardware store will probably be a good buy. You will probably need a new 02 sensor gasket too.

14. Jan 10, 2012 at 7:41 PM
    TacoMX

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    gotcha :thumbsup:

15. Jan 10, 2012 at 11:40 PM
    JT1521

Member:
  16. Jan 10, 2012 at 11:49 PM
    MapleMoose

MapleMoose Drunk Canadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    West Kootenays
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma SR5
    3" Eibach Coils, 3" AP Springs, AP 6" Shackles Toytec Diff drop, BAMF Sliders, Deck plate mod,Volt meter, Highbeam mod, PIAA fogs, 18" Magnaflow, LED dash swap, Color matched Satoshi Grille, Custom Rear Plate Bumper
    They should come with a paper and liquid gasket. o2 Sensors regulate the amount of fuel to air ratio. You would be fine to run without them, you'll just use more gas. You can actually get buy something that tricks the the engine into thinking that everything is running good.

17. Jan 11, 2012 at 8:06 AM
    JT1521

Member:
    I know it looks pretty straight forward on replacing the downstream Oxygen sensor bank 1 sensor 2. If someone could give me step by step instructions on exactly what I need to do to replace the sensor. Including replacement bolts and what sizes they are. What tools I will need etc. I think I will be getting the
    DENSO Part # 2344189 (Automatic trans.; Wire Length 37.80; DENSO is the O.E. Manufacturer; Downstream) also I will buy the DORMAN Part # 47021 gasket as well.

18. Jan 11, 2012 at 9:24 AM
    OutlawJas

OutlawJas Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Southeastern PA
    Vehicle:
    04 Stock Ext cab TRD 4x4
    I just bought the Densco O2 sensor in front of the Cats (A/F sensor) from rockauto and it came with a gasket. I also wasn't sure and purchased a gasket just in case. Now I have an extra. The one supplied was a nice metal gasket. BTW..check out the BUY/SELL/TRADE section under vendors. Rockauto gives a 5% discount to forum members. Once you buy from them they will email you additional discount codes.

19. Jan 11, 2012 at 9:41 AM
    JT1521

Member:
    I was told by Rock Auto that the Oxygen sensor I was looking at didn't come with the gasket. I believe the one you got is for the upstream not the downstream which I need. Also do you have a 2003 Toyota Tacoma? I just looked under the truck and found the Downstream Oxygen Sensor bank 1 sensor 2 and I noticed there is some kind of heat shield surrounding the sensor. Does that heat shield come right off with the sensor? Do I need to get the shield off first before removing the sensor? This looks like more involved than I thought it was gonna be because there is some rust as well. I can barely see the Oxygen sensor when laying on the ground under the truck. Anyone know how much a body shop normally charges to replace the O2 sensor? I am thinking of buying the part and bringing it to someone to replace.

20. Jan 11, 2012 at 10:34 AM
    MapleMoose

MapleMoose Drunk Canadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    West Kootenays
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma SR5
    3" Eibach Coils, 3" AP Springs, AP 6" Shackles Toytec Diff drop, BAMF Sliders, Deck plate mod,Volt meter, Highbeam mod, PIAA fogs, 18" Magnaflow, LED dash swap, Color matched Satoshi Grille, Custom Rear Plate Bumper
    Its not that bad. I replaced both of mine in about hour and a half. The only issue i ran into is the rusted nuts. Spray them down with PB blaster or fluid film a couple hours in advance.
    Mine were so rusted that they started breaking apart. Luckily i had some metric nuts laying around that fit perfectly. Not sure what size they were, maybe 8mm?

Just jack the truck up on a lift(if you have access to one) and unplug the wire that comes from the sensor. You'll need a flat head to undo the plug clip. Then just slowly undo the nut and carefully remove the sensor. Not sure what you mean by the heat shield, i dont remember seeing that. Maybe take a picture for me?
    Then just take your new sensor out and put your gasket on(there are instructions that come with the sensors) and install the sensor. Make sure to plug the wires back in too.

Products Discussed in

To Top