Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Did not want to start

Old 01-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
Karl64 is on a distinguished road
Name: Karl
Karl64's Tacoma Gallery
Did not want to start

This morning my 98 2.4l tacoma did not want to start. It cranked a few time making the normal going to start sounds, then like it shifted into a faster speed, almost like it had lost compression. It did this one other time (a couple years ago) and I let it sit for a few days and it started and has run/started fine until this morning.

So I kept trying the starter on and off, until it started. then the engine made a real high pitched squeal for about 30 seconds. After that it is sounding and running fine.... Any suggestions? I wondered if I had a sensor go bad. The truck has 178K miles, but does not use oil and I get ~21 mpg
Old 01-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
Squeal-sounds like a belt loose or going bad. does it have an idler pulley--sometimes they freeze and make belt squeal . Smell anything? Burning rubber?
Check belt tension and idler pulley first. Then water pump,alternator, ect.-thats next!
Old 01-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #3
Karl64's Tacoma Gallery
my AC belt is a little loose, but you may be right about the tensioner. I will look at it this weekend, but that does not answer why the truck would nto start or even sound like it wanted to start....
Old 01-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
MacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
MacGyvR's Tacoma Gallery
Was it making a ticking noise at all, or was it just chugging for too long at start up? I'd try cleaning the MAF.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
What did you find?-
Few possibilities about not wanting to start-lets see what you find!
i.e. idler pulley frozen-friction-hard to turn over,
alt belt-no charging--or not enough.
Keep us posted.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
Karl64's Tacoma Gallery
For the time being the truck is starting fine, only the one time.

Okay, I have tightened all of my belts, so no more squealing.

I did clean my MAF sensor as I do have a cloth air filter that can cause oil deposits on the MAF sensor.

No ticking, just the engine whirling over like there was no compression, but it sounded like it would try to start when you let off the key.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
Karl64's Tacoma Gallery
Three months later and the truck is starting fine, no issues.