Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Do i have to regear?

Old 01-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
Tacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
Tacoma mud's Tacoma Gallery
Do i have to regear?

I was planning on getting a 3" susp lift and a 2" body lift, with 35 x12.5 tires. Would i have to regear?
I know bl are bad but 2" isnt that bad and i want my truck to be different, it seems everyone on this site has 33" tires
Old 01-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
HAVE to? No
Should you? YES!!!!!!!
Old 01-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
You will get power and MPG back from it. If you DO NOT, it adds extra strain on the engine and tranny and many other drivetrain components.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
Tacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

What would it do if i dont?
Should i just put dana 60s in or regear, im not really good at toyota stuff
Old 01-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #5

How much would it cost to regear? Would 5:29s be good?
Old 01-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
You will get power and MPG back from it. If you DO NOT, it adds extra strain on the engine and tranny and many other drivetrain components.
^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma mud View Post
What would it do if i dont?
Should i just put dana 60s in or regear, im not really good at toyota stuff
Doing a SFA conversion is a lot of time, money, and custom fabrication. Gears aren't that expensive. It's the install that is. Honestly, for yourself and your truck's best interest, re-gear to the appropriate gear ratio. And this isn't a toyota-specific thing. I learned all I know about gears from the SAS on the Ranger....
Old 01-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #7
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How much would it cost to regear? Would 5:29s be good?
Depends on your use. What wheels are you going with? Use this chart to help....

Old 01-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #8

So you recomend that i regear
Old 01-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #9
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
If planning on running 35" tires. YES.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #10

So i would need around 4:56 ratio for 35" tires?

Would i be able to do the regear in my garage or would i need to take to a mechanic
Old 01-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #11
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
That chart says my Tacoma with stock everything is "more power". So I would put too much weight on that charts "facts"
Old 01-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #12

Ive regeared danas and rockwells before... Are tacoma axles different?
Old 01-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #13
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
I would re-gear to at least 4:88. Some people prefer 5:29. I personally re-geared to 4:88 in anticipation of 35s, im still on 33s so it kinda sucks on the interstate. ECGS is a great way to re-gear, they send you a pre-built diff with the gears already set up and you send yours back. Pretty easy, this is the way i went. As far as a BL, I would say stay away. It is probably going to rub anyway, so just tub the firewall and skip the BL. No need for it, your probably going to have to tub anyway so just do it without the BL. I am getting mine off as soon as I can.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #14
Phuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
Phuket's Tacoma Gallery
the chart is a little low on the gears... 4:56 for 33's and 4:88 for 35's
Old 01-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #15
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
4.88 for sure.

You'll be super sluggish with that automatic and 35's if you don't regear.

East coast gear supply is a great way to go.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:50 PM   #16
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I was planning on getting a 3" susp lift and a 2" body lift, with 35 x12.5 tires. Would i have to regear?
I know bl are bad but 2" isnt that bad and i want my truck to be different, it seems everyone on this site has 33" tires
skip the shitty body lift and just tub the front fender wells if you want to run 35's.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:17 AM   #17
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
skip the shitty body lift and just tub the front fender wells if you want to run 35's.
I would still run a 4 crawler 1" BL
Old 01-13-2012, 08:16 AM   #18
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
I would still run a 4 crawler 1" BL
Why?

You dont need it to fit the tires. You can still tub for 35s and have no trouble fitting them without the BL.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #19
alove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Adam
alove0750's Tacoma Gallery
I have 4.56 with 33's. It's a good combo, stock... maybe a lil more then stock power. I think it would be ok if I stepped up to 35's, but I would much rather have the extra get up and go of a 4.88.

x10 on ECGS great guys to deal with!
Old 01-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #20
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Taco 22 View Post
Why?

You dont need it to fit the tires. You can still tub for 35s and have no trouble fitting them without the BL.
For a crawler......doing a 1" BL when you have a crawler means that you can have a flat belly (at least I know it's the case on the 2n gens). Its not merely for tire clearance as it it is mainly for not having shit sticking down too far. And really BL aren't that bad. Grant it I wouldn't do more than an inch or two with one...