View Poll Results: Color Matched Canopy *VS* Black Tool Box
Color matched canopy 18 60.00%
Black "slim" tool box 12 40.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
Proud Canadian
04tacomaSR5 is on a distinguished road

04tacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Canopy VS. Tool Bed Box....thoughts...

So I've come to another fork in the road when it comes to storage... should I stick with the canopy or go with a black tool box??

Canopy:
Pros: full bed coverage, colour matched, looks great, secures rear window from being broken into etc...
Cons: can't access box from sides, heavy, limits visibility

Tool box:
Pros: looks great, better security for tools/equipment (I'm a carpenter), lighter than canopy, etc.
Cons: doesn't secure full bed, leaves rear window open to be broken into, etc.

I currently have the colour matched insulated leer canopy.

So what are your thoughts and opinions on what the best way to go is...
Old 01-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
haddix will become famous soon enoughhaddix will become famous soon enough

haddix's Tacoma Gallery
Canopy and it' not even close IMO. So much more versatility with the topper. Keep what ya got.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
shampoop's Tacoma Gallery
All depends on your uses. I was in the same boat for a while. I ended up realizing a tool box suits me much better for a few main reasons.

- A good brand toolbox actually keeps the contents safe. Cheap toolboxes and canopies are easy to break into and I regularly put expensive tools in my box.

- My friends tacoma has a canopy and I HATE HATE HATE backing up at night with it on. You cannot see behind your truck at all.

- A toolbox is much faster and easier to remove by yourself if you want to use the truck for something that requires the whole bed.

I ended up getting an over the rails weatherguard box as it suits me very well right now. However If I ever have the space to store a canopy, I think the ultimate setup would be to have a toolbox that bolts to the bed of the box so you can use it and the canopy at the same time. I would normally have just the toolbox on, and only put the canopy on when I need it.

Something like this http://www.weatherguard.com/truck_to...5&model_id=670
Old 01-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
medictrack will become famous soon enoughmedictrack will become famous soon enough
Name: Bill
medictrack's Tacoma Gallery
I voted tool box that way you still can use your bed.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:27 AM   #7
TIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TIPICOTACO's Tacoma Gallery
I have both and the tool box has been sitting in my garage for over a yr now. I find that the topper much better suits my needs and looks fantastic IMO. There certainly are limitations to the topper as mentioned; HARD to see in reverse (add aux back-up lights) and limits what you can haul, but the good out weighs the bad.

The topper is very secure and can protect much more than a tool box. Ikd what you drive around with but I know that a lot of my tools (tile saws, mitre saws, weed whacker, leaf blower etc) will not fit in a tool box. In the winter its a no-brainer to have the topper on! AND you can sleep under it regardless of the weather! also I put a nice roofrack on the topper and thats how I haul my kayaks, lumber, and other crap; with a toll box that isnt possible.

Sometimes in the summer depending on what I'm doing I'l switch to the tool box but that is rare. Also I have a DC, so if I put the tool box in it leaves me w/ such a small bed its totally impractical.

Topper fo sho!
Old 01-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
Proud Canadian
04tacomaSR5 is on a distinguished road

04tacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
that's alot of help you guys! thanks! i agree TIPICOTACO... i'm a carpenter so it would make more sence to have the canopy because the table saw, mitre saw etc wouldn't fit into the box... I'll just have to make something up for the rear of the bed to store stuff in.

would it be over kill to keep the canopy on and to get the type of box that sits inside the rails to have both the box and canopy for extra security?

I am getting a new compustar alarm put in...does anyone know if there are any add-on features for alarms that i could use to have it sensor the canopy back window also???
Old 01-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #9
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
You're a carp. You live in a rainy, maybe snowy climate.
You "work out of your truck" (I take it).

Get a canopy with windoors and a reinforced, load bearing roof with rack.
You can get the rack later if needed.

I just saw that you're hauling a table saw and chop saw....definitely canopy.
You can also build yourself a "slide-out" (oversize drawers) to make access to the rear of the bed easier.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:03 PM   #10
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Someone on here has a shell and the most awesome toolbox I've ever seen. It's hinged at the tailgate, so it swings out, and opens from the front, which is the rear when you swing it around. It's about as wide as the fenderwells, so it doesn't protrude too much. I'm on my phone and unable to search, but I think it's in the huge toolbox thread. It's what I plan on getting. My snugtop with windoors should be here in about 2 weeks. Ill use the toolbox to keep the tools, and emergency stuff secure and the shell is mainly for the dogs and winter travels. So I vote both!
Old 01-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #11
ttran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant future

Name: Tim
ttran's Tacoma Gallery
I have a toolbox but would love to have a shell instead. I like the look of a shell on a lifted truck.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:36 AM   #12
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Would have gone w/ a shell in a long bed for camping purposes. But since I'm rocking the SB, I opted for the toolbox.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #13
Blame Crablegs
PreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ethan
PreRunner03's Tacoma Gallery
When it rains and fogs up it makes it crazy difficult to see out the back of my truck. The rear window fogs up and then the camper window fogs up too. But, I do enjoy the added protection of the shell and the fact that it makes it look different.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #14
ttran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant future

Name: Tim
ttran's Tacoma Gallery
I have a toolbox right now but I just bought a camper shell today. We'll see which one I like better.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:23 AM   #15
Lube: It's the key to penetration.
STLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Charlotte VRS: EMT/Driver
Name: Harry
STLharry's Tacoma Gallery
I have both. I use the toolbox in the summer for everything from guns to chainsaws to towing/recovery equipment and spare parts. I use the camper shell in the winter because it keeps the snow out of the bed and it means I can leave all 4 pairs of skis in the back indefinitely.