LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

lots of bump steer 96 2rz 2wd

Old 01-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
jeffz0rz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffz0rz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffz0rz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffz0rz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffz0rz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffz0rz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffz0rz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffz0rz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffz0rz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffz0rz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffz0rz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jeffz0rz's Tacoma Gallery
lots of bump steer 96 2rz 2wd

Single cab non prerunner, with downey upper, lower and coilovers on 31's. Have had it aligned and still get really bad bump steer. Anyone else had or have a similar situation? Not sure how to remedy it.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
How are your steering rack bushings? does the rack move side to side when you turn the wheel back and forth?
Old 01-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
jeffz0rz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffz0rz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffz0rz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffz0rz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffz0rz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffz0rz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffz0rz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffz0rz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffz0rz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffz0rz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffz0rz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Excellent question....I don't know.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
pardon my ignorance, but what is bump steer?
Old 01-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
pardon my ignorance, but what is bump steer?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9_iu...layer_embedded
Old 01-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
thanks....so its when the vehicle steers "itself" when the suspension articulates?

And I want to track down the guy that was recording the video and punch him in the face...
Old 01-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #7
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
thanks....so its when the vehicle steers "itself" when the suspension articulates?

And I want to track down the guy that was recording the video and punch him in the face...
yes on both counts lol

the op is not experiencing true bump steer since he doesn't have a long travel suspension kit designed by a retarded monkey on his truck (^see above for example of that). the geometry is correct on the stock suspension.

what is probably happening is the steering rack is loose in its mounts because of worn bushings making it feel like bump steer.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
On my truck I hit a hole so hard that it caused my steering rack to jump a tooth. Didn't realize it at first, did the alignment myself just to get things close enough, and found that the tie rod on one side had a lot more threads exposed compared to the other side.

Bumpsteer was insane until I corrected it. Somehow the rack still worked fine, so I popped the steering shaft from the rack, re-centered the rack, reconnected the shaft with the everything centered, and realigned the truck. Took care of that problem.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #9

I'm not running stock suspension. Its a downey "mid travel " set up. What's this about your rack jumping a tooth? I checked out my rack bushings, and they seem tight and in good shape. Is it possible my wrack is leaking inside causing the steering to seem off?
Old 01-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #10

Is the shaft in the rack a one piece or two piece design? Just got an alignment, marked everything to see if things are coming loose, and nothing is budging. My tires are so badly toe in its insane. What is loose!?