Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2 electrode spark plug gauge

Old 01-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
kortiz is on a distinguished road
kortiz's Tacoma Gallery
2 electrode spark plug gauge

I bought the replacement spark plugs for my 2001 tacoma pre runner. These spark plugs have 2 electrodes and I was wondering how to calibrate them. I read that the gauge has to measure .043 but I want to know how to measure it. Is it vertically in this case since I have 2 electrodes?
When you have one electrode you measure the gauge horizontally because the electrode sits on top, but in this case the electrodes are kind of in the side so I am wondering/
Old 01-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Put them in the way they are.

Don't really need to worry about plug gap to much with a double (or more) electrode spark plug.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:10 AM   #3
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Hey check the gap its not always correct ^^^^ thats bullshit!
Old 01-13-2012, 07:15 AM   #4
facemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chase
facemob's Tacoma Gallery
i think if you use the same general concept as a single ground electrode you will be fine. thats how i did it. actually, yes, measure the same way, it will be fine. but definitely measure because it wont always be correct from the box
Old 01-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #5
Taco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to all
Taco John's Tacoma Gallery
I run Bosch Platinum +2 in my wifes car (3rd set) and my understanding is they are set right (or at least close to it) from the factory and should not be gapped. I'm not really sure how you would do it anyway. the "electrode" is fully covered with ceramic and the grounds don't have anything square to reference off off.

The spark travels differently on that style of plug. It follows down the insulator more before jumping the gap.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:19 AM   #6
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I run Bosch Platinum +2 in my wifes car (3rd set) and my understanding is they are set right (or at least close to it) from the factory and should not be gapped. I'm not really sure how you would do it anyway. the "electrode" is fully covered with ceramic and the grounds don't have anything square to reference off off.

The spark travels differently on that style of plug. It follows down the insulator more before jumping the gap.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This, they are set at the manufacturer & the spark is thrown across the electrode (horizontally) as opposed to standard single electrode plugs (vertical)
Old 01-13-2012, 08:22 AM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Always check the gaps.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #9
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
& I'm pretty sure this type of plug was chosen because of the 3.4-4.0

hemispherical "Hemi" combustion chamber
The 1GR uses single electrode plugs, as do many other "hemi" engines. IIRC, the 3.4 uses a "wasted spark" ignition, and the double ground plugs are better in those motors.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:29 AM   #10
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Engine specific I guess, just like some have had problems when replacing the Denso with Bosch, I'm running Bosch now with no issues, but then again, i'm not running anything 'cause my trans shit itself, hmmmm, may re think the whole Bosch thing if its smoking transmissions
Old 01-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post

Bosch did NOT run well in my wife's Toyota several years ago. That, along with the fact that Chris said to run OEM plugs, led me to just go with Denso.
(Like many here, I always do what Chris says... )
LOL!! Im not always right, Ive just found the OEM Denso plugs to run the best.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
Sacrilege!
its happened