Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Help! 03 PreRunner not starting.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:08 AM   #1
FloridaJim is on a distinguished road
Name: Jim
FloridaJim's Tacoma Gallery
Help! 03 PreRunner not starting.

Saturday when leaving my driveway my 03 Prerunner quadcab 3.4 110K stalled. It has not started since. Spark will come & go, when it does show it is very weak. Replaced crank sensor, replaced igniter, no change. No codes. Possible ECM? Thinking this might be my next step but not sure if these require a flash when changed out? I am at my wits end here & any ideas would be very welcome before I give up and tow it to the stealership.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
MacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
MacGyvR's Tacoma Gallery
Can you describe it a bit more? Are there any indicator lights? Was it running rough or making any noises? Have you done any maintenance recently?

The only time my truck has ever stalled was when I got mud in the alternator and the battery died. I have heard of a dirty MAF causing people to stall out. It might be worth cleaning that too.

Other than checking those things out, just do a once over and look for anything weird and report back (check fluids and belts. You never know).

Also, welcome to TW! Hope we can help!
Old 01-14-2012, 08:10 AM   #3
FloridaJim is on a distinguished road
Name: Jim
FloridaJim's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Tom but no, there are no lights, CE codes, nothing. This truck had been a normal rock-solid Toyota till this point. No recent changes. It didn't so much stall as just plain quit, out of the blue. No missing, running rough ect... Gonna check out the MAS, thanks for the tip.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
MacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
MacGyvR's Tacoma Gallery
No problem. Any updates?
Old 01-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
so spark doesnt always work? what about fuel and air?
Old 01-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #6
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Alternator? Fuel line pump filter?