Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

*** Looking to improve gas milage... ***

Old 01-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
Proud Canadian
04tacomaSR5 is on a distinguished road

04tacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb *** Looking to improve gas milage... ***

I recently did the math for my mpg and was a little upset with the results I found...
I have a 2004 2.7L tacoma 4x4 and from my calculations I was only getting 15-16 mpg... to me that doesn't seem like that much for a 4 banger.

I have a K&N air filter and the rest is stock ( in terms of engine components )

does anyone have any thoughts on how to improve it or things to check that might be affecting my milage?

Any advice would be appreciated!!!
Old 01-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
Swanson52 is a jewel in the roughSwanson52 is a jewel in the roughSwanson52 is a jewel in the roughSwanson52 is a jewel in the rough
Swanson52's Tacoma Gallery
I advise you employ the search function of the site.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
Proud Canadian

would doing the deck plate mod, flowmaster/magnaflow muffler, new plugs / wires help?
Old 01-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Intake and exhaust will do nothing to improve mpg.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
Proud Canadian

i did... mostly talked about the secondary filter removal...done.
i may just replace the plugs because i'm not sure when there were done last... bought the truck about a year ago and I haven't looked at them yet...
Old 01-14-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
Proud Canadian

lol touche... i assumed the last guy did it because it was already gone lol

are there any tutorials/diy things on how to do it... newbie when it comes to fluid changes..
Old 01-14-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04tacomaSR5 View Post
new plugs / wires help?
No wires.
Im at about 16 mpg mixed highway/city too.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
Proud Canadian

Snowman... is yours the 2.7L also?
Old 01-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #9
Tacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
Tacomadude89's Tacoma Gallery
I would do a tune-up on it. Sparkplugs, possibly wires depending on their condition and mileage, fuel filter, synthetic oil change and maybe even seafoam it if you're ambitious and then see where you're at. You could also check for any codes to just to confirm that nothing's up.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #10
Proud Canadian

know of any forums/links on how to change fuel filter?
Old 01-14-2012, 02:59 PM   #12
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomadude89 View Post
possibly wires depending on their condition and mileage.
There arent any wires to check. And unless your truck is missing and throwing codes wires wouldnt make a real difference anyway.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #13
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
I have a little experience in school from Aerodynamics and just by looking at your Avatar I'd say loose the front bull bar and the camper. Both of those components are spoiling the airflow over the truck.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #14
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
^ +1

Do you have larger than stock tires, if so that slows down your odometer and makes it seem like your mpg is worse.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #15
I deal with dead animals
meatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
meatman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
I have a little experience in school from Aerodynamics and just by looking at your Avatar I'd say loose the front bull bar and the camper. Both of those components are spoiling the airflow over the truck.
I think it has more to do with weight than airflow. I lost approx. 1 mpg when i put on my camper top. I avg. 19.3 mpg with it on then again i also have a a v6 so i could be the 4 bangers have to work harder to pull the extra weight
Old 01-14-2012, 06:45 PM   #16
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Prius mod.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:24 PM   #17
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I think it has more to do with weight than airflow.
It's actually both but I was not going to elaborate because I'd probably loose everyone..
Old 01-14-2012, 11:11 PM   #18

Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/20079.shtml
Says 18 mixed here (new). So 16ish isn't too bad for an older truck especially if you have larger wheels and/or tires or carry a bunch of junk around... Like I do. Haha
Old 01-14-2012, 11:43 PM   #19
Proud Canadian

sounds great then!

I'm liking the black tool box you have going on there Snowman!

I had to make a hard decision between two purchases last week... new black rims or sound system.... Had to go with the system for now... but black rims to some very soon!