Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What would it take to convert to Bio-Diesel?

Old 01-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
Derp, Derp Derp
hats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Sonia
hats009's Tacoma Gallery
Cool What would it take to convert to Bio-Diesel?

I know a lot of you probably scoff at the thought and think it totally unnecessary - I am just wondering if any of you clever mechanic types out there could tell me what it would take to convert my beloved tacoma to a diesel so I could run it on Bio-Diesel.. or better yet some sort of a vapor engine in a perfect world.
Why isn't there more people thinking/talking about this?
Old 01-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Diesel engines blocks and just about everything else are beefed up to handle the much higher stress caused by diesel ignition.

Swapping a diesel in would be the only way, but a high price to pay to run bio-diesel.

Toyota has apparently decided no one in the US want one, unlike the rest of the world.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
To pay someone to do it would be about 10,000 for Diesel Toyz in AZ to do. DIY I would guess it would be about 7-8,000. As far as I know all you have to do is filter the oil, get a second fuel system and switch it to oil when the motor is warm.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #5
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Just take your spark plugs out, BAM! diesel.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
brp is on a distinguished road
brp's Tacoma Gallery
You need a 2nd, heated, fuel system to run on vegetable oil (waste vegetable oil, svo). That is just for vegetable oil, you could eat the stuff. You can usually
get it for free from restaurants after they fry with it. Then you filter in put it in the second tank.

You can make biodiesel out of vegetable oil, some "brewing" needs to be done. That can be used in the diesel engine with no modification or second fuel system, other than synthetic lines, as mentioned earlier. Biodiesel and regular diesel can me mixed in any ratio.

I have gone over 100,000 miles on free vegetable oil, it is really cool.

My buddy has 205,000 miles on his greased F350.

PM me if you have specific questions.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:08 AM   #7
giddy up!
derekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 4C071
Name: Derek
derekp's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to derekp
I always wanted to get a 4bt and drop it in my truck. Might need to beef up the suspension to handle the weight and clearance though. It would be pretty cool!
Old 01-15-2012, 07:51 AM   #8
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
I hear what you are saying but you would be better off ordering a Hilux from over seas and shipping it to the states. You would have nothing but a shit storm mess converting, IMHO.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:25 AM   #9
Hacksaw engineer
Trapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud of

Trapper6speed's Tacoma Gallery
Good biodiesel is expensive. From experience if it's cheep bio be prepared to fix a lot of hoses and an occasional fuel pump. Thou if you can get 140 HP out of a 1.6 VW motor you should easily make 200 out of the 1.9. The cummins 3.9 is a great motor but it's very heavy.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #10
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorseforever View Post
To pay someone to do it would be about 10,000 for Diesel Toyz in AZ to do. DIY I would guess it would be about 7-8,000. As far as I know all you have to do is filter the oil, get a second fuel system and switch it to oil when the motor is warm.

^^ Yes

Big money. You can't convert your current engine, it has to be replaced with a diesel. Engine swaps are all about little details to get them right. Even if you can do all the work yourself it is questionable whether it will ever pay off for you. If you have the money and this is about wanting to be green and reduce your consumption of foreign oil and you will keep the truck forever, then go for it. If it's about reducing your fuel bill, forget about it. 7-10K dollars buys a lot of fuel.

OP, you might be thinking of WVO. I think that's what Warhorse is referring to as well. Biodiesel can be bought at a pump and isn't that much cheaper than regular diesel. WVO (waste vegetable oil) is different and can't be left in the injection system at shutdown. You get used fryer oil from a kitchen somewhere, filter it, and put it in a seperate tank. The vehicle has to be started on regular diesel, warmed up, then switched over. You then switch to diesel again to shut it down.

I would love to have a diesel Tacoma, but I want it for lower cost of operation. There is no practical way to make that happen unless you can front 10K dollars to convert an existing vehicle, then drive it another 200K to maybe get your money back. That's assuming that the modified truck does not become a maintenance nightmare, get wrecked, etc.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:50 AM   #12
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dieseltoyz.com is the website I was talking about. They appear to do good work and explain wvo svo diesels.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:11 AM   #13
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper6speed View Post
Good biodiesel is expensive. From experience if it's cheep bio be prepared to fix a lot of hoses and an occasional fuel pump. Thou if you can get 140 HP out of a 1.6 VW motor you should easily make 200 out of the 1.9. The cummins 3.9 is a great motor but it's very heavy.
Yes they are heaver and will the frame and suspension take the extra weight?
Old 01-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #14
Will The Thrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
was about to link to that
go to dieseltoyz, pay up ~10 grand, enjoy your new diesel tacoma
lol Try 19,500 for the diesel manual tans that I would do to my truck, but hey if you got the money why not?
Old 01-16-2012, 03:46 AM   #15
Hacksaw engineer
Trapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud of

I think it would be easier and cheaper to drop in a ls3 motor.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #16
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
Actually, importing a diesel hilux would only run about 9k, sans the initial purchase price.

shipping fee's ($3800), import/inspection fee's ($1400), customs fee's ($1100) and Taxes ($2300) for a total of $8600.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #17
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyo...-specification

Fuck you Toyota.

38.7 MPG (Combined) and we cant have that here in the states?
Old 01-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #18
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
^

And leather interior.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #19
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Here is the 3.0l diesel engine they put in the Hilux.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #20
Hacksaw engineer

Ok but right hand drive kinda sucks. You could deliver mail.