Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Annoying squeak from speedometer

Old 01-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
cbreze is on a distinguished road
Name: Jim
cbreze's Tacoma Gallery
Annoying squeak from speedometer

Hi all, brand new first post, but long time toyota truck owner since the 70's. I've never had speedometer squeak issues since my old 59 chevy. How much trouble, and/or expense is it to grease up the offending part? Do they even use cables anymore? Can it be done from underneath the dash, up on a rack or how? Anybody have this issue? At around 60mph it can occur, but not always and it seems affected by ambient temps. I would need to have a shop do this as I'm not young enough to fit underneath it anymore. Type of shop? Back in the day there were speedometer shops. Haven't seen one of those in years. The dealer would probably charge alot, but thinking of going there.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:57 PM   #2
bhh2000 is just really nicebhh2000 is just really nicebhh2000 is just really nicebhh2000 is just really nicebhh2000 is just really nice
Name: Ben
bhh2000's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same issue in the morning's my is super noise! how do you oil it?!?! Help tacomaworld!
Old 01-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
cbreze's Tacoma Gallery
I googled this issue and found lots of similar complaints. I could not find any readily available solution. I'm living in a new area and planning on making friends with the local dealer when I get an oil change. I'll ask about a fix.
Mine doesn't do it all the time, but when it does....ARGHH!!!! On a road trip it can make you crazy. Where to and how to put the oil is the question as to silencing it. I've heard it's common to tacomas(1st gen anyway)
Whats your mileage btw? I'm at 72k
Old 02-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
cbreze's Tacoma Gallery
I found mechanic who worked on another issue(an obscure, intermitant squealing noise) and did great so I'm going to let him grease the gears for my speedometer. My 04 does not have a cable as far as I know. He thinks it's just dry gears behind the dash assembly.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
i had this too but i no longer have a dash lol. when you pull out the gague cluster it should pop off of this thing, i think you just need to oil inside where it pops off at. you will see what im talking about if you do it.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbreze View Post
I found mechanic who worked on another issue(an obscure, intermitant squealing noise) and did great so I'm going to let him grease the gears for my speedometer. My 04 does not have a cable as far as I know. He thinks it's just dry gears behind the dash assembly.
I'm pretty sure we still have a mechanical speedometer...
Old 02-10-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
cbreze's Tacoma Gallery
My speedo squeal is gone and what a relief. My new mechanic guy took the cluster out and greased the gears that comprise the speedometer drive. Worked and I'm very happy.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #8
cbreze's Tacoma Gallery
UPDATE: well that was back in February I had the squeal fixed. Now it squeals under a new set of circumstances. If I'm going down the highway and a large truck passes me going the opposite way I get a brief squeal then it stops. It seems to be tied to the change in air pressure or flow. Either the truck forces a blast of air in thru my grill or it just changes the ambient air pressure as it passes. It seems more the former than latter, but I'm not positive. I heard a gal in a coffee shop mention that her truck coming into town was making a squeal at higher speed, but in colder weather only for now. I asked her if it was a Toyota and she says "yep". Her thought was air coming from a vent or fan and said it seemed to stop when she closed the vent or put it on recir. I tried this and had no change or effect.
There's got to be a lot of folks with this issue. I'm leery of chasing it with more money so will just live with it for now. Any one have any insightful info to share?
Old 07-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #9
Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends
monkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Signal Corps
monkeyface's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbreze View Post
UPDATE: well that was back in February I had the squeal fixed. Now it squeals under a new set of circumstances. If I'm going down the highway and a large truck passes me going the opposite way I get a brief squeal then it stops. It seems to be tied to the change in air pressure or flow. Either the truck forces a blast of air in thru my grill or it just changes the ambient air pressure as it passes. It seems more the former than latter, but I'm not positive. I heard a gal in a coffee shop mention that her truck coming into town was making a squeal at higher speed, but in colder weather only for now. I asked her if it was a Toyota and she says "yep". Her thought was air coming from a vent or fan and said it seemed to stop when she closed the vent or put it on recir. I tried this and had no change or effect.
There's got to be a lot of folks with this issue. I'm leery of chasing it with more money so will just live with it for now. Any one have any insightful info to share?
You have to pull the cluster, inject graphite into the cable, white grease anything else you can find. It's a long-term problem, had it with my 1990 and my 1997. The colder outside the temp is, the worse it gets. This problem actually prompted selling both of those trucks it annoyed me so much.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #10
cbreze's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyface View Post
You have to pull the cluster, inject graphite into the cable, white grease anything else you can find. It's a long-term problem, had it with my 1990 and my 1997. The colder outside the temp is, the worse it gets. This problem actually prompted selling both of those trucks it annoyed me so much.
Thanks, you sold your trucks on acccount of this? I'd actually thought of that LOL! Why the heck are the dealers so clueless about this common issue then? No TSB's out, so they say. It's like "never heard that one before" when you tell them. What puzzles me is why when a big semi passes it sets it off. WTF does that have to do with a cable needing grease? (shrugs)
Old 03-12-2013, 12:04 AM   #11
RGosen is on a distinguished road

Air Force: 1st Battalion
Name: Christ would now agree, don't get yourself nailed to a tree
RGosen's Tacoma Gallery
I just posted about this and am not sure if its the same sound I am hearing from the dash area..it almost sounds like a radio frequensy type squeel at high speeds...I have taken out my glove box and stereo to try and figure this out, and selling my truck over this has crossed my mind as well as it drives me nuts not knowing what the loud intermitten squeel radio typ sound is in the damn dash lol