Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

"Oil"? on the bottom of engine? - Needs trouble shooting

Old 01-15-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
What do you mean I can't go up there...Watch this!
Jonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
Jonyd182's Tacoma Gallery
"Oil"? on the bottom of engine? - Needs trouble shooting

Good afternoon TW,

I was under my truck today and noticed I have some substance underneath the engine, on the transmission, a little on top of my skid,a little on the bottom of the oil pan, none on the drive way.

I have a 99 4x4 trd off road taco.

Anyone have any ideas on what this could be? The below picture is underneath the passenger side. Hopefully nothing to serious

Old 01-15-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like oil to me. Could be engine or trans oil if you have a manual trans. You're just going to have to trace it and see where it's coming from. I would start at the top of the engine and see if anything is migrating down from there.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
NBHNC
Rusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty
Rusty 06 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
have you changed the oil recently ??
Old 01-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
Jdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Daniel
Jdaniel1274's Tacoma Gallery
Check your oil level! Did you spill oil or let it drip down on the last oil change! Clean off the oil and see if it appears again.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
Jonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I changed the oil about a month ago with a funnel so I shouldn't have had to much spill but its always a possibilty. With a good hard grib I was able to hand turn the filer about a 1/4 turn.

It is a manual.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:48 AM   #6

Just checked the oil level and its a little low. Just above the bottom indent.

Here is a pic right where the transmission starts.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
NBHNC
Rusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty
Rusty 06 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
so recently you were able to 1/4 turn the filter.. maybe a little was coming out there.. hope you find the problem
Old 01-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #8
facemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chase
facemob's Tacoma Gallery
clean as much as possible up with some rags and run it to get a better idea of where the source is
Old 01-15-2012, 11:09 AM   #9
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Oil leaks that I encountered were due to a look filter, just a 1/4 turn as the poster above said, snugged it up and all was good.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #10
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
It looks like the transmission seal which is a common issue with these 1st gen trucks. The seal itself is pretty cheap, unfortunately though what is costly is the labor because you have to drop the entire transmission.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
It looks like the transmission seal which is a common issue with these 1st gen trucks. The seal itself is pretty cheap, unfortunately though what is costly is the labor because you have to drop the entire transmission.
That's what I was thinking and has me worried. I had the clutched replaced last year. I would think they would replace things like seals since they have it apart but I'm not sure if they did. Would a shop reuse the seal or put in a new one?
Old 01-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #12
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Would a shop reuse the seal or put in a new one?

Well that all depends on the integrity of the shop. Most would do it, but you'd be surprised at how many will take short cuts.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #13
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonyd182 View Post
That's what I was thinking and has me worried. I had the clutched replaced last year. I would think they would replace things like seals since they have it apart but I'm not sure if they did. Would a shop reuse the seal or put in a new one?
It is not standard procedure to replace the rear main seal or the front transmission seal when doing a clutch. They don't leak that often (in general, not sure about this specific truck) and why mess with something that is bone dry?

If it's trans oil it should stink like sulfer.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonyd182 View Post
They wouldn't reuse a seal that had been pulled out, but they wouldn't have to disturb either one of those seals to change a clutch.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
They wouldn't reuse a seal that had been pulled out, but they wouldn't have to disturb either one of those seals to change a clutch.
Good to know.

I cleaned up all the oil I could reach and left my skids off to recheck in a couple of days.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #16
Phuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
Phuket's Tacoma Gallery
when I changed my oil and gave the oil filter a good 1/4-1/2 turn i started her up and there was oil all over that area. I would check the oil filter.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuket View Post
when I changed my oil and gave the oil filter a good 1/4-1/2 turn i started her up and there was oil all over that area. I would check the oil filter.
Thanks for the info. I tightened the filter up and I sure hope that is the extent of my problem....
Old 01-17-2012, 09:04 AM   #18

^I'm hoping for you bud. (crossing fingers with ya!)
Old 01-17-2012, 09:15 AM   #19
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
I made the same mistake my first oil change of not snugging the filter good enough. Driving around, the wind blows alot of the oil all over the underside.

Snugged it up, and was good to go.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #20
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Carefully pressure wash it. Wait for it to dry. Use a talc based leak checker to find the leak(cheap version), or add fluorescent dye to the engine oil(more expensive version). Drive for a few days to allow the dye to circulate. Use UV light and yellow glasses to find the leak. If you find no leak on the engine, add it to the trans.

Hopefully it was just the oil filter!