1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspension lift on a 2WD 5-lug Taco

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by gtmotor, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Jan 15, 2012 at 4:44 PM
    gtmotor

gtmotor [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Hey forum,

I've read a few things about how most of the commercial lift kits available won't work with a 5-lug Tacoma.

I'm looking at this one in particular:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SJA-TTC30STK/?rtype=1

Can someone verify if this will work or not? I checked both on Summit and the Skyjacker website and they give no indication that this will NOT work on my truck.

I keep tossing around the idea of just getting rid of the truck for a 4WD model, but I don't want to part with my current vehicle. It's paid off, has only has 80k miles, and I've put a lot of work into it (sound system, sound deadening, custom rack for my kayak, etc). I also enjoy the 25-26 mpg it consistently gets in daily driving.

Adding some all terrain tires and a mild lift should be fine for the dirt roads I encounter near my cabin.

Thoughts?

2. Feb 5, 2012 at 12:15 AM
    SchmitzM1

SchmitzM1 Project: Shaniqua-Rise of the Purple Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Ventura
    Vehicle:
    '96 5Lug 2.4 5M/T
    Detroit Trutrac rear LSD, K&N Drop In, Deck Plate, Optima Yellowtop, Kenwood Excelon Receiver, Kenwood Excelon mids and tweeters, JL Audio 10" W2 boxed sub behind bench seat, MPL Jackhammer 800w amp, 30%window tints driver and passenger, double layer limo tint across back, double layer limo sun stripe across top 5" of windshield, Custom duct tape seat repair lol,
    Fabtech makes a 3inch lift for the 5lugs if youre not actually gonna do any offroading.

I don't know much about the rock crawling scene, as I live near the desert and spend most of my time there. But 2wd 5 lugs arent great for that anyway.

If you're trying to make it a prerunner, good luck. I've been having the same problems you are. I was looking at the fabtech kit, but I hate fabtech. Its so cheap, and just old copied designs. If money isnt a concern, and you really want to push the limits of what a 5lug Taco is capable of, look at the total chaos long travel, and the camburg long travel. Those will require extensive modification though.

3. Feb 5, 2012 at 12:31 PM
    Phuket

Phuket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    03 4X4 TRD
    Eibach/Toytec coils, bilstein 5100's all around, Kenwood DNX7100 Navigation

Products Discussed in

To Top