Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Anyone familiar with retrofitting?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-15-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
Mxer256 [OP] Mxer256 is offline
Senior Member
Mxer256 is on a distinguished road
 
Mxer256's Avatar
Name: Tyler
Joined: Feb 2011, #51906
Location: Mississippi
Gender: Male
Posts: 657
Mxer256's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone familiar with retrofitting?

I am wanting to buy new housing for headlights and retro fitting some projectors...i found some but im not totally sure if they would be the right size or anything...i have a 2002 taco so if anyone has ever done this just let me know if what a good size is and what i need to look for...these are the lights ive found...........http://www.amazon.com/Bi-xenon-Proje...6694239&sr=8-1
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #2
Some do, others talk
jerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
jerretxx's Avatar
Name: Jerret
Joined: May 2010, #37692
Location: North Carolina
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,158
jerretxx's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...me-true-9.html

my friend did his 01, maybe this will help you out
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
Mxer256 [OP] Mxer256 is offline
Senior Member
Mxer256 is on a distinguished road
 
Mxer256's Avatar
Name: Tyler
Joined: Feb 2011, #51906
Location: Mississippi
Gender: Male
Posts: 657
Mxer256's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerretxx View Post
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...me-true-9.html

my friend did his 01, maybe this will help you out
Yeah it helped a lot! Thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:53 PM   #4
Senior Member
lonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to all
 
lonzorizo's Avatar
Name: Lonnie
Joined: Sep 2010, #42784
Location: Mineral, Ca
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,048
lonzorizo's Tacoma Gallery
theretrofitsource.com has everything you'll need. hidplanet.com has all the info you'll need. See my build for my retrofit, end of pg 1 and pg 2.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:56 PM   #5
Mxer256 [OP] Mxer256 is offline
Senior Member
Mxer256 is on a distinguished road
 
Mxer256's Avatar
Name: Tyler
Joined: Feb 2011, #51906
Location: Mississippi
Gender: Male
Posts: 657
Mxer256's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonzorizo View Post
theretrofitsource.com has everything you'll need. hidplanet.com has all the info you'll need. See my build for my retrofit, end of pg 1 and pg 2.
Alright thanks! and yeah yours gave me the extra push to want them haha
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:00 AM   #6
Mxer256 [OP] Mxer256 is offline
Senior Member
Mxer256 is on a distinguished road
 
Mxer256's Avatar
Name: Tyler
Joined: Feb 2011, #51906
Location: Mississippi
Gender: Male
Posts: 657
Mxer256's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonzorizo View Post
theretrofitsource.com has everything you'll need. hidplanet.com has all the info you'll need. See my build for my retrofit, end of pg 1 and pg 2.
But is there any other place i can get some for cheaper? like what size do i need? i was looking at 2.5 for a good price with halos but that website is a little more than id like to spend
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:08 AM   #7
Senior Member
lonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to all
 
lonzorizo's Avatar
Name: Lonnie
Joined: Sep 2010, #42784
Location: Mineral, Ca
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,048
lonzorizo's Tacoma Gallery
They aren't vehicle specific, hence the word retrofit: "An act of adding a component or accessory to something that did not have it when manufactured."
TRS makes the Mini h1's...they aren't just casually sold around the web. Stick with ordering through theretrofitsource. If you don't want to worry about cutting/aligning go with the Mini h1's. Also check the hidplanet forum classified section, TRS is having a "garage sale" with some projectors for cheap. Iirc they have the mini h1's for like $60 a pair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxer256 View Post
But is there any other place i can get some for cheaper? like what size do i need? i was looking at 2.5 for a good price with halos but that website is a little more than id like to spend
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:16 AM   #8
Senior Member
lonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to all
 
lonzorizo's Avatar
Name: Lonnie
Joined: Sep 2010, #42784
Location: Mineral, Ca
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,048
lonzorizo's Tacoma Gallery
Or you can just have me do them for you
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:39 AM   #9
Senior Member
alove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Adam
Joined: Mar 2010, #34294
Location: Concord, nc
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,376
alove0750's Tacoma Gallery
Retrofitsource is high, but the products/customer service are worth every penny in the end. Their kits are top of the line and not too bad to install... if I can do them I'm pretty sure anyone could. The biggest thing is just taking you time and doing it right the first time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:37 AM   #10
Mxer256 [OP] Mxer256 is offline
Senior Member
Mxer256 is on a distinguished road
 
Mxer256's Avatar
Name: Tyler
Joined: Feb 2011, #51906
Location: Mississippi
Gender: Male
Posts: 657
Mxer256's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonzorizo View Post
They aren't vehicle specific, hence the word retrofit: "An act of adding a component or accessory to something that did not have it when manufactured."
TRS makes the Mini h1's...they aren't just casually sold around the web. Stick with ordering through theretrofitsource. If you don't want to worry about cutting/aligning go with the Mini h1's. Also check the hidplanet forum classified section, TRS is having a "garage sale" with some projectors for cheap. Iirc they have the mini h1's for like $60 a pair.
Alright thanks! and i guess ill order those when i get around to it! and how much would you charge? haha i mean i could do it but you have experience with it!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:38 AM   #11
Mxer256 [OP] Mxer256 is offline
Senior Member
Mxer256 is on a distinguished road
 
Mxer256's Avatar
Name: Tyler
Joined: Feb 2011, #51906
Location: Mississippi
Gender: Male
Posts: 657
Mxer256's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by alove0750 View Post
Retrofitsource is high, but the products/customer service are worth every penny in the end. Their kits are top of the line and not too bad to install... if I can do them I'm pretty sure anyone could. The biggest thing is just taking you time and doing it right the first time.
Yeah i could take my time but i dont have a job and my parents wouldnt let me order 300 dollar headlights plus housing and having to make them and modify them haha
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:38 AM   #12
Mxer256 [OP] Mxer256 is offline
Senior Member
Mxer256 is on a distinguished road
 
Mxer256's Avatar
Name: Tyler
Joined: Feb 2011, #51906
Location: Mississippi
Gender: Male
Posts: 657
Mxer256's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonzorizo View Post
They aren't vehicle specific, hence the word retrofit: "An act of adding a component or accessory to something that did not have it when manufactured."
TRS makes the Mini h1's...they aren't just casually sold around the web. Stick with ordering through theretrofitsource. If you don't want to worry about cutting/aligning go with the Mini h1's. Also check the hidplanet forum classified section, TRS is having a "garage sale" with some projectors for cheap. Iirc they have the mini h1's for like $60 a pair.
Could you maybe send me a link to the mini h1s? i cant find them...and also would i need a mini or normal one? i dont know difference
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #13
Mxer256 [OP] Mxer256 is offline
Senior Member
Mxer256 is on a distinguished road
 
Mxer256's Avatar
Name: Tyler
Joined: Feb 2011, #51906
Location: Mississippi
Gender: Male
Posts: 657
Mxer256's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonzorizo View Post
Or you can just have me do them for you
Hey check this link out...would any of these fit? http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...ctor-Yard-Sale!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:25 AM   #14
Senior Member
lonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to all
 
lonzorizo's Avatar
Name: Lonnie
Joined: Sep 2010, #42784
Location: Mineral, Ca
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,048
lonzorizo's Tacoma Gallery
Any projector would work...just a matter of cutting the back of your housing to make them fit. Then aligning them, then finding a way to mount them. The mini projectors require no cutting, they fit in the existing hole in our headlights and hold in place with a lock ring in back. And retrofitting is far from cheap. You will spend $300 just on the retrofit kit...another $50 on a extra pair of headlights to work on. I'd do it for $100 labor.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:38 AM   #15
Mxer256 [OP] Mxer256 is offline
Senior Member
Mxer256 is on a distinguished road
 
Mxer256's Avatar
Name: Tyler
Joined: Feb 2011, #51906
Location: Mississippi
Gender: Male
Posts: 657
Mxer256's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonzorizo View Post
Any projector would work...just a matter of cutting the back of your housing to make them fit. Then aligning them, then finding a way to mount them. The mini projectors require no cutting, they fit in the existing hole in our headlights and hold in place with a lock ring in back. And retrofitting is far from cheap. You will spend $300 just on the retrofit kit...another $50 on a extra pair of headlights to work on. I'd do it for $100 labor.
Dang maybe i should just go with some cool headlights....I mean i found a kit but then would have to buy hid kit and all the other stuff!
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
retrofitting! pauoolmojica Lighting 1 12-18-2011 08:39 PM
My hand at retrofitting 4x4Taco09 Lighting 88 11-17-2011 04:44 PM
Retrofitting front diff vs regearing blackhawke88 2nd Gen. Tacomas 0 11-03-2009 02:50 PM
Headlight retrofitting eddieEndo Lighting 3 09-29-2009 05:14 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.