Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Shock recommendations please

Old 01-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
stump thumper
ruler1 is a jewel in the roughruler1 is a jewel in the roughruler1 is a jewel in the rough
ruler1's Tacoma Gallery
Shock recommendations please

I have a 97 4x4 that I just purchased and am starting to mod. It has spacers on top of the front springs and has wide rims and mud tires 32x11.5x15's. I had to change the cv axles when I got it so I did the diff drop. The truck has 157k and the shocks look pretty clapped out. I have heard good things about bilstein, but I'm confused about the 5100's. You can adjust them? How does that work, and can I use them with the coil spacers on my truck? I am also piecing together front brakes and I need to know the best place to order calipers and brake lines. I want better than stock on the lines and stock on the calipers as I have already bought rotors and pads. Thanks guys.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
The bilstion 5100 front struts are preload adjustable. but not while on the truck. there are 3 different settings you can put them at. a lot of people here run them with OME coils or Eibach coils to get 3 inches of lift and for better ride quality. I would not recommend using the coil spacer with the 5100s or any shocks for that matter
Old 01-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
stump thumper
ruler1 is a jewel in the roughruler1 is a jewel in the roughruler1 is a jewel in the rough
ruler1's Tacoma Gallery
They are bolted to the top of my springs. If I change to the bilstein 5100's what do I do to keep the lift I have so my tires fit? Also, will I need to remove my diff drop if I put on the 5100's?
Old 01-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
XxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr.Chow
XxTHe FioLOxX's Tacoma Gallery
Go with some bilstein 5100, great shocks imo
Old 01-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruler1 View Post
They are bolted to the top of my springs. If I change to the bilstein 5100's what do I do to keep the lift I have so my tires fit? Also, will I need to remove my diff drop if I put on the 5100's?
how big of a spacer do you have on the shocks? and no you dont have to remove the diff drop
Old 01-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
stump thumper
ruler1's Tacoma Gallery
here is a pic

and here is a pic of the truck. I love the way it sits i just dont like how it rubs just a little bit backing out of the driveway at a full turn.

The tundra in the pic is very big. My truck is on 32x11.5's
Old 01-16-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
here is a pic

and here is a pic of the truck. I love the way it sits i just dont like how it rubs just a little bit backing out of the driveway at a full turn.

The tundra in the pic is very big. My truck is on 32x11.5's
that is a daystar kit that is composed of a top spacer and a coil spacer. One preloads the coil and one serves as a spacer to push down the front shock for lift.

about 3'' of lift

That lift is trash.

Get rid of those ASAP and get Bilstein 5100's and toytec coils to lift the same amount.

Where are you rubbing? On the frame or on the body?

And what do you have lifting the rear? Good looking truck btw!
Old 01-16-2012, 06:20 PM   #8
stump thumper
ruler1's Tacoma Gallery
i do not know what lift is on the rear. can you guys tell me?

Old 01-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #9
Firefighter:
looks like you might have lift shackels for the rear? idk in the pic the truck looks pretty level and you have a stock leaf pack
Old 01-16-2012, 06:25 PM   #10
stump thumper
ruler1's Tacoma Gallery
toytec look really expensive. Are there any other options? if i keep the lift I have what shock can i use as a replacement?
Old 01-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #11
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
toytec look really expensive. Are there any other options? if i keep the lift I have what shock can i use as a replacement?
You probably have a shackle in the rear because the daystar kit came with a 1.25'' shackle (I had the same kit on my truck, PO installed it)

be more specific about "toytec" whats expensive?

I have/had the same spacers as you...and trust me...they suck...trash...get rid of them.

If you dont have the cash for toytec coils, get the 5100's for the front for now from downsouth motorsports and set them at 2.5'' without any spacers. Will ride better and wont suck.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #12
stump thumper
ruler1's Tacoma Gallery
I dont want to hurt anybodies feelings but 400 for coilovers/springs is not something I am interested in. I chose this truck to save money. I am still confused about the bilsteins. Can I take off the front daystar lift and add the bilsteins and keep the same lift? Could I get just a longer spring (non adjustable) and set the bilsteins to stock ride? Sorry for all the questions but I dont speak the toyota lingo yet.

Where is the best price on the 5100's and springs? Is there anywhere that sells them together for a good price?
Old 01-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #13

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I dont want to hurt anybodies feelings but 400 for coilovers is not something I am interested in. I chose this truck to save money. I am still confused about the bilsteins. Can I take off the front daystar lift and add the bilsteins and keep the same lift? Could I get just a longer spring (non adjustable) and set the bilsteins to stock ride? Sorry for all the questions but I dont speak the toyota lingo yet.
If you want cheap shit...but cheap shit...you get what you pay for.

Save up and do it right the first time or dont do it at all...

(but the cheap shit is already on your truck, so I guess that is taken care of)

so.....

The bilsteins are adjustable for lift, .85'', 1.5'' and 2.5'' IIRC by using preload.

You can remove all the spacers you have now, and just use the third setting (2.5'') to be level with your shackle in the rear.

That will be much better than those spacers.

If you do use the toytec coils, you set the bills at the stock level to get 3''.

trust us when we give you advice.

And $400?? The front shocks are $170 and the coils (if you get them) are $150.

Not much money considering how high the quality is compared to what you have.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #14

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
And you said you wanted to start to "mod"

Modding will not save you any money.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #15
Firefighter:
you may be looking at toytec coilovers?
I have bilstein 5100's on all four corners. front struts set at 2.5 with stock coils and a rear toytec 2" AAL. its pretty much dead level.
get the bilsteins with new coils and you can do yourself a favor by throwing away the current lift you have on.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #16
stump thumper
ruler1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
And you said you wanted to start to "mod"

Modding will not save you any money.

I cant leave vehicles alone. I just dont want to take this truck to the level I took the mustang or f250. I start with good intentions and fun and end up with monsters. A mustang that i cant drive in the rain and a f250 that is way too flashy and not practical for a guy that hauls nothing but a 4 wheeler. Im gonna mess with it, I know that. I just want to keep the daily driver part, front and center with this truck.

When I looked up toytec the coilovers alone were like 386 on a group buy. I will look for the coils. I am confused, be patient with me I am learning and listening. I am a middle of the road guy. I dont like the stuff that is overly expensive or of poor quality. I always go the middle road. Where do you guys order the springs and shocks?
Old 01-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #17

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I cant leave vehicles alone. I just dont want to take this truck to the level I took the mustang or f250. I start with good intentions and fun and end up with monsters.

When I looked up toytec the coilovers alone were like 386 on a group buy. I am confused, be patient with me. I am a middle of the road guy. I dont like the stuff that is overly expensive or of poor quality. I always go the middle road. Where do you guys order the springs and shocks?
Your looking at full adjustable coilovers...I think.

We are talking about:

http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-13...djustable.html

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72
Old 01-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #19
stump thumper
ruler1's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys. That makes a lot more sense now.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #20
Bash Fabriction & Off-Road
01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
01Tac0ma's Tacoma Gallery
Get the 5100's and eibachs, you wont regret it! & after that is taken care of please save up for a replacement leaf pack cause your stock one is SHOT