LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Canopy question

Old 01-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
Fejurty is on a distinguished road
Fejurty's Tacoma Gallery
Canopy question

My 'new' truck is on '02 ext. cab and I need to put a canopy on it. My problem is that the box is not the conventional shape. Does anyone know what's it's called when the box has built in steps into the fenders? This means the wheel flare is more pronounced and the box has a taper from the tailgate toward the cab. Therefore, the box is narrower overall than a conventional 6' box.

I can't put my old canopy on it because of the different shape and I called a couple canopy places who told me canopies don't exist for this type of box. However, the previous owner said they exist.

Anyway, I've spent my time on google and on this forum and can't figure out what it's called. My searches always end up with aftermarket steps for easier access into the box.

I'm contemplating fabricating a custom aluminum mounting bracket so I can put my old canopy on the new truck. My old truck was a '97 btw so it's still a 6' box. It should be an easy mod. I'll probably end up bolting the mount to the box, and then bolt the old canopy to the mount, traditional c-clap brackets will probably be of no use.

If anyone has any feedback on what the box is called to begin with I could probably ask around a little easier.

Cheers
Old 01-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
tacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alex
tacomalex's Tacoma Gallery
some people call them stepside, styleside, I think it depends on the manufacturer as to the "official" name..

I bet if you call enough places and find someone with some sense they can help you.
Good luck!
Old 01-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
NegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NegroTundra's Tacoma Gallery
+1 for stepside. And yes they do exist. Ive seen them here and there.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
Fejurty is on a distinguished road
Fejurty's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the help, I actually saw one on the street today. One of those things you don't notice until you're looking for it.

Does anyone know if a stepside canopy for a late 90's ranger would fit on an '02 taco? I found one for $80 in decent shape, can't go wrong. I could always fabricate an aluminum bracket for cheap as an adaptor. Cheaper than a $1300 new canopy as the used stepside canopies seem a tad rare.