1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Canopy question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Fejurty, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Jan 16, 2012 at 6:11 PM
    Fejurty

Fejurty [OP] Member

Member:
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    02 Ext Cab TRD
    My 'new' truck is on '02 ext. cab and I need to put a canopy on it. My problem is that the box is not the conventional shape. Does anyone know what's it's called when the box has built in steps into the fenders? This means the wheel flare is more pronounced and the box has a taper from the tailgate toward the cab. Therefore, the box is narrower overall than a conventional 6' box.

I can't put my old canopy on it because of the different shape and I called a couple canopy places who told me canopies don't exist for this type of box. However, the previous owner said they exist.

Anyway, I've spent my time on google and on this forum and can't figure out what it's called. My searches always end up with aftermarket steps for easier access into the box.

I'm contemplating fabricating a custom aluminum mounting bracket so I can put my old canopy on the new truck. My old truck was a '97 btw so it's still a 6' box. It should be an easy mod. I'll probably end up bolting the mount to the box, and then bolt the old canopy to the mount, traditional c-clap brackets will probably be of no use.

If anyone has any feedback on what the box is called to begin with I could probably ask around a little easier.

Cheers

2. Jan 16, 2012 at 6:13 PM
    tacomalex

tacomalex Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WV
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 2.7l 4x4
    plasti dip engine
    some people call them stepside, styleside, I think it depends on the manufacturer as to the "official" name..

I bet if you call enough places and find someone with some sense they can help you.
    Good luck!

3. Jan 16, 2012 at 8:12 PM
    NegroTundra

NegroTundra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Land of Enchantment
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma TRD 4WD 5 spd
    +1 for stepside. And yes they do exist. Ive seen them here and there.

4. Jan 17, 2012 at 4:32 PM
    Fejurty

Fejurty [OP] Member

Member:
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    02 Ext Cab TRD
    Thanks for the help, I actually saw one on the street today. One of those things you don't notice until you're looking for it.

Does anyone know if a stepside canopy for a late 90's ranger would fit on an '02 taco? I found one for $80 in decent shape, can't go wrong. I could always fabricate an aluminum bracket for cheap as an adaptor. Cheaper than a $1300 new canopy as the used stepside canopies seem a tad rare.

Products Discussed in

To Top