1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bilstien 5100s help an ol boy out please

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Prerunner2511, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Jan 17, 2012 at 3:20 PM
    Prerunner2511

Prerunner2511 [OP] washed in the blood and wrapped in camoflauge!

Member:
    First Name:
    A.J.
    Maryville, TN
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Mossy Oak decal and embelms, Pacer Wheels, XM satelitte ,
    Hey im looking around at 5100s and i found a set of front and rears for $319 brand new. I thought that was reasonable. Do you have to replace the coilovers? I want to hear from people that have them and would you recommend them? I want them to level and lift my truck. I have read some places that the 5125 for the rears are adjustable up to 1" is that true? because im thinking of putting my fronts on 2.5" and rears at 1" how would that look? Ive got to thank yall for all the help ive got just in the short time that I have been a part of this site, all of my questions have always been answered and I appreciate it.

Thanks
    AJ

2. Jan 17, 2012 at 3:27 PM
    Jojack

Jojack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Lacassine LA
    Vehicle:
    2011 4 door long bed 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 at 2.5", 1" rear blocks, TSB 4 leaf pack, Wolf Springs Fab Custom tube bumper, anytime fog light mod
    Downsouthmotorsports and look up the tw coupon code. I just put 5100 on the front of my dclb sport last month and love it. I have the tsb in the rear and front set at 2.5. If you raise too much in rear you will likely have to extend brakelines I think. There are lots of posts on this so search em up!

No you don't have to run new coils however most will suggest you do. I didn't and no issues here.

3. Jan 17, 2012 at 3:37 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    x1000 on getting them from Downsouthmotorsports. You get like $20 or $30 off, and they are super cool. Got mine from them about a month ago.

You aren't replacing the coilovers, per se. You are replacing the shock portion of the coilover. You need to rent a coilover spring compressor, compress the spring, take out old shock, put in 5100. It's not too hard, just be careful with the compressor as there is a lot of tension on those springs! You can use all the old hardware, just inspect it real good before you commit to taking it all apart, otherwise you'll be out one vehicle while you order the necessary parts. Most people are able to use the OEM parts, though, so you *should* be okay.

I have an 04 doublecab. I set the fronts (5100's) at 1.5" (middle setting) and got a 1" lift shackle for the rear and the 5100's. It's almost perfectly level now. If you leave the rear at the stock height, go for the 5125's (DSM will help you out there). Stock rear height and the middle setting in the front might make the front a little higher, but it all really depends on the condition of your springs, vehicle weight, etc...

good luck!

4. Jan 17, 2012 at 3:39 PM
    Ohbrian

Ohbrian Taco Roja

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Fremont, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
    Eclipse head unit,scratched paint,ripped seat, black chaos 6 rims, Bilstein 5100's, top plate spacers, AAL, Midget antenna, Bakflip G2 cover, 14" Magnaflow, 400W inverter, LR UCA's
    I have them set at 2.5 on the stock springs and the ride is not bad. I need new uca's though.

5. Jan 17, 2012 at 3:50 PM
    sixsixsix

sixsixsix Well-Known Member

Member:
    As mentioned before, DSM has the Bilsteins cheaper with the coupon code. Go through the Vender Forum here on TW and look for the code from DSM. Some members re-use their stock coil, but many upgrade to Eibach or OME. I plan on using my stock coils as I only want to level my front with my stock rear height. The rear 5125 are not adjustable and will not give you a 1" lift over stock.

6. Jan 17, 2012 at 6:40 PM
    Prerunner2511

Member:
    First Name:
    A.J.
    Maryville, TN
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner SR5 DC
    im thinking get them for the front and putting them on 2.5"

7. Jan 17, 2012 at 7:14 PM
    Jojack

Jojack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Lacassine LA
    Vehicle:
    2011 4 door long bed 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 at 2.5", 1" rear blocks, TSB 4 leaf pack, Wolf Springs Fab Custom tube bumper, anytime fog light mod
    Unless you have aal or tsb, you will sit obviously nose high. Measure from center of the wheel to fender at both front and back. That will give you an idea of what kind of lift is needed. Don't measure from the ground.

8. Jan 17, 2012 at 7:30 PM
    Tacomadude89

Tacomadude89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austen
    The rear shocks are not adjustable and longer rear shocks also do not provide any lift to the truck.

I would recommend if you're going to be using the stock springs and setting the 5100's to the 2.5" setting to run 1.5" AAL's as that will give you a slight rake in the rear like stock. It is a very common setup. Of course there are other options out there as well to lift the rear such as longer shackles or even full new leaf packs. If you do some searches, you'll find picture threads and everything with these types of applications.

9. Jan 18, 2012 at 3:18 AM
    Prerunner2511

Member:
    First Name:
    A.J.
    Maryville, TN
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner SR5 DC
    how much would aals be for my truck? and yeah i was thinkin bout it last night it may sit allitle front high but if you look at the picture in my sig you can see how much it sags compare to the rear but im willing to put aal in

10. Jan 18, 2012 at 4:45 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This

2 misconceptions, the first one : Only the fronts are ride height adjustable

the rear shocks are not.. The 2nd one is: The addition of upgraded shocks (rears) aren't going to give you lift, its in regards to how much lift they will accomodate . The 5125's I run will accomodate 3" of rear lift....;)

11. Jan 18, 2012 at 5:52 AM
    magog45

magog45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada, just south of Santa
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma 4x4 extended cab
    5100's all around, 2.75 inch lift, polyurethane body mounts, gibson exhaust, variation of the deckplate mod, intake resonators removed 285-75-16 goodyear AT
    I have 5100's all around with the fronts set at 1.75" and I had the leafs done at a local spring shop. It rides pretty good but still trucklike and no worries about extending brakelines or dropping the front diff.

12. Jan 18, 2012 at 6:01 AM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    I would suggest just calling downsouth motorsports and talk to Marco or sonny or Neil and tell them what you want to do and they will set you up right.

With the age of your truck I would suggest new coils for the 5100s, but downsouth will tell you exactly what you need

13. Jan 18, 2012 at 11:32 AM
    '02TRD

'02TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma Xtra Cab 4x4 SR5 TRD
    Billstein 5100's & AAL, 285/75R16 Toyo Open Country M/Ts on Black 16x8 Raceline Renegades, Pro-Tech Toolbox, Wet Okole covers, K&N air filter, Tow package, Alpine digital media receiver, Kenwood Amp, Rockford Fosgate 10" sub, Cobra 75 hand held CB, front differential drop
    call downsouthmotorsports and talk to Sonny. he will answer all your questions, as well as give you a discount if you tell him you are a member of tacomaworld forum

Products Discussed in

To Top